Discussion Kitchen talk, sort of

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Deleted member 166414, Jan 11, 2022.

?

Like spicy?

1. Nope nope nope nope

12.9%
  2. Yasssssssss

45.2%
  3. I like it but it doesn't like me...

22.6%
  4. Training to build my spiciness tolerance this year!

3.2%
  5. I don't prefer it but I'm good with spiciness

25.8%
  6. *noms skullie*

9.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Deleted member 166414

Deleted member 166414 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Currently, one of my most prized possessions is a whetstone haha. Also been watching some chinese food vids because the novel I'm reading has a diligent translator who linked the food being mentioned (i love when they do that) and now i kinda want a cleaver and a wok hehe. Rice cooker so nice. I'm a little annoyed at the vegetable peeler at home. And we have an ancient blender... not so ancient but definitely decades old. One time I called it "blender" but my Ma was like, "That's an Osterizer," I was confused if it's an important difference, they do the same thing anyway...

Thread doesn't have a particular reason for being made. I guess I'm curious about any kitchen tools you love having or hate using or the likes.

Deleted member 411209 likes this.
  2. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Get a salad spinner. The ability to dry freshly washed lettuce leaves is amazing. Plus you can use the bowl for lots of things if you're not eating salad tonight because it's large and holds a lot

Baldingere and DrunkReader01 like this.
  3. Wannabe-shutin

Wannabe-shutin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Air fryer are really convenient, highly recommend.

S4TY4 likes this.
  4. Emilyl

Emilyl Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Frying pan can be used for pretty much anything in a pinch

asriu likes this.
  5. tsundere_taichou

tsundere_taichou [Cute Demon Sect]

Reading List:
    Link
    lol i double posted then when i remove first one both are gone? whatever

depends on what you cook and for how many, the essentials are a wook a pot and a knife or two. id get a decent knife from the start, fryingpans are good too but wooks are superior in utility.as for appliances i personally love my rice cooker but i would not recommend getting one unless you eat rice atleast semi reg, especially as you need to make more than just one portion for it to turn out perfect and without hassle, i love making fried rice with the leftovers but if thats not your thing it might not be worth. same thing i feel a deepfryer is worth because its such a hassle to manage temps in a pot and mine has a filter built in so cleanup is way easier too.
    well yes, id say a wook is better because you can easily boil stuff in em without spilling

also airfryers are overrated and anyone who praises them probably just has a shit oven. as a convection oven does the exact same thing an airfryer does so if you got one dont waste the space by getting an airfryer. if your oven aint great or you dont have one(wierd situation but it can happen) then its a GREAT investment actually

6. Deleted member 166414

Deleted member 166414 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    we don't so salad much to need a salad spinner. what do you usually make?
    i have a funny air fryer story. My eldest sister's family have a maid. This maid been their cook for months. Now, for some reason, they decided to make the maid take care of her in-laws so she moved to the in-laws' house. Now, fast forward to Christmas, gift-giving ceremony. The in-laws gifted my sis with an air fryer!!! But here's the catch, they already have one. I think they got it last summer around April. Turns out, the in-laws asked the maid if my sis already has an air fryer and she said no. This is despite the fact that the maid has used the said old air fryer multiple times before she got transfered. :blobrofl::blobrofl::blobrofl:
    Yup yup, my most used one. Then i have a pot for soups.
    If you double posted, they automatically combine into one post so when you deleted it, the combined one post got deleted. Happened to me before :blobupset:

We actually don't have an oven. I want one hehe. We only got a microwave recently too. I kinda low-key wanted a deep-fryer but not much that I'd go out my way to buy it. As for the wok, it just kinda strange tho coz it's too big and there's only three, sometimes two people at home, so i feel like it's too much to use a wok when a pan would do. or a pot for soup stuff.:blob_teary:

7. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    air fryer is trash. save a bit and get an oven.

wok is good for restaurants. since they have better stoves that wok can utilize. frying pans are the normal household tool from what i've seen.

8. Dahna

Dahna (-, – )…zzzZZZ

Reading List:
    Link
    Blunt knives. They will make the cooking time more frustrating.

asriu, TamaSaga, Baldingere and 2 others like this.
  9. melomarl

melomarl Burning Red

Reading List:
    Link
    I love the kitchen, it gives me food (well the humans that are good at cooking do) :blobrofl: I was banned for quite some time, gradually getting my kitchen rights back. I'm thinking of buying new baking stuff for our kitchen. But will start with simple stuff first, good luck on all your kitchen endeavors!

10. tsundere_taichou

tsundere_taichou [Cute Demon Sect]

Reading List:
    Link
    you dont need to get a MASSIVE one but i personally feel they are superior to reg frying pan in utility, i sometimes even use it to boil stuff if my pots are in the dishwasher

if you dont have an oven then an air fryer is actually a good investment

i dont agree with that statement, if your stove sucks then your stove sucks, its gonna take a minute to heat up a frying pan or a wok either way it wont matter much. i mean if you're just gonna fry a sausage or two with an egg you might be better off with a frying pan but otherwise they can both do the same thing except a wook has more space so you can pull stuff off the heat without completely removing em from the pan. its slightly more of a pain to move and wash i guess but thats it

11. Baldingere

Baldingere Roseau pensant

Reading List:
    Link
    I like spicy but not the sharp/hot one
    What do you say in english to distinguish between liking with spices and liking with spices that burn your tongue? Like I don't like peppers, but I like speculoos/chai tea spices and put them in everything? I think for the green plants stuff like parsley and origan there's the word aromatic? I suck at describing this lol.
    My mom got a thermomix, a cooking robot, and it makes you gain so much time because you don't have to switch devices to weight your ingredients. And it's the best mixer we ever had.
    Favorite tool is the spatula, it's so great at getting all the dough in the new form. And cookie cutters, those are so much fun.

We use the salad spinner each time we make a regular salad as a side-dish. What are the other ways of drying it? Rattling the salad in a sieve?
    What is an air fryer? We only fry food in the pan with 3 spoons worth of oil. Except some deep-fried pastries in a pot sometimes.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  12. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    this cat kinda lazy so most of time just fry something

btw anyone know is there any hmm specific tool so not crying when cut plenty of onion family?
    but its good for cutting cake, jelly and the likes..... and good to take margarine or what it called on english? the margarine sister..... butter! also good for cut cheese?

13. yun yun yun

yun yun yun (◍•ᴗ•◍) [Important things must be said 3 times]

Reading List:
    Link
    Goggles~
    Well there are actually genius tools out there with self-isolating protection so you don't have to deal with the onions personally...

14. Dahna

Dahna (-, – )…zzzZZZ

Reading List:
    Link
    Goggles + mask or face shield that can cover the whole face, this one is more recommended for four-eyes. You will need sth to cover your eyes and your nose to prevent the onions from trying to take advantage. :blobhero:

But I don't cut onions that much to buy them. :facepalm:
    I try blunt knives to cut them all, and then I find out a sharp knife is the best. You can give the sharp knife an opportunity to cut them; the results are satisfying. :blobtorch:

15. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Been trying some steamed & air fryer methods lately
    [​IMG]
    Basically it's a small electric pan/grill. But you don't need to use oil for cooking in this
    OK, maybe way less oil: tried dumping some ready to cook fries (mixed them first w/ salt, pepper + chili powder) & they came quite nicely + not greasy since I don't use any oil/butter/such for this
    You could also use it to dry roast some meat

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    Baldingere likes this.
  16. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    fried onion is good side dish err hmmm topping? stuff like give butter to slice bread, better cook it en masses rather than just one or two~ soup, and warm rice is nice with fried onion

17. Generic.Archdemon

Generic.Archdemon Bleh~ too lazy

Reading List:
    Link
    I love my 3 tier mega steamer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

S4TY4 likes this.
  18. Kuroihagane

Kuroihagane Investi-gathor

Reading List:
    Link
    air fryer is just a fancy name for tabletop convection oven, and the worst part is you can't make fried rice with it despite it having "fryer" in its name

Baldingere likes this.
  19. Baldingere

Baldingere Roseau pensant

Reading List:
    Link
    What is pic 2?

20. Generic.Archdemon

Generic.Archdemon Bleh~ too lazy

Reading List:
    Link
    Steam egg, a delicate art form, 12 to 15 mins in low heat, with perfect water to egg ratio!

[​IMG]

Baldingere and S4TY4 like this.