Discussion How do you feel about endings

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Emissary Nouvelle, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Emissary Nouvelle

Emissary Nouvelle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally back when I binged anime back in the day (def seen near or over a 100) endings left me feeling empty inside a lot of the time, some were satisfactory, some were open ended. nowadays with novels I just want a happy or satisfactory ending but authors despite their immense talents creating such characters and worlds from their minds (in comparison to me) seem to immensely suck at concluding things.

Maybe it's just me but after being attached to something novel anime manga and it ends horribly aka not the way I wanted I literally get depressed and question life: Why did I bother when I saw the signs mid season there and there? So up to recently like with AoT I saw the signs and dipped for everything I liked and would be genuinely depressed when I forsee the ending (obviously not the exact ending but the general direction) author's rarely can trick veterans like me although with Squid Game (overhyped but enjoyable nonetheless) they put some twists in and you can't accurately predict some parts but generally it's easy to see.

Naruto, Bleach, etc and many others like Demon Slayer or movies are def imperfect even to the untrained eye many moments are cringe. But I figure it's time to admit with action that weeb anime or even "normie" movies are extremely imperfect and I'll never get anything I like 100% (no wonder fanfics exist) I've been saying it all along but I'll start watching and reading again for those o don't like but endings are still a no no for me so for the bleak ones I'll go 80% with some second and minutes skipped or chapters skipped and bite the bullet otherwise I'll have to find another hobby and I'm lazy and unlucky, doing anything outside and physical I would be apart of the breakthrough covid infections.

Before I digress where was I? Yes how do other people feel about endings especially veterans who have seen enough to anticipate future moments, chapters, episodes etc whatever the medium is. Wonder if I'm the only one who's skin it gets under. It's easy to see a sh*t movie novel or whatever and drop immediately I do it all the time but finding mid way through just pushes buttons (like how I shipped eren and Mikasa I anticipated it'd probably follow the trope (he/she who likes that he/she will get that he/she evident with popular and unpopular characters I'll just use popular ones like Hinata x Naruto, Sasuke and Sakura, Orihime and Ichigo etc) so my initial prediction was Jean and Mikasa as endcoup...damn I digressed.

Endings endings endings what does the crowd say.

2. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Still waiting for one piece ending.....

For chinese novels? I always give up after 300+ chapter. Coz at that point usually my emotional investment is gone due to repetition.

3. Emissary Nouvelle

Emissary Nouvelle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol the author said he gave Luffy his goofy abilities so he could always be a clown so he'll never grow up so I don't really have high expectations dropped it at the wano arc beginning but I hear it's still ongoing. I really could almost stomach it of that idiot wasn't the mc Zoro or Law would be wayyy better. Like I said prediction wise I'm probably not going to like the ending based on its current path.

4. sleepycaptions

sleepycaptions Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I find endings can make or break a story for me. I can find a story perfectly average but if it comes with a good ending then I’ll love it and rate it much higher than I how I felt reading the rest of the story. Which is why I always get excited getting closer to the end of the story, I never dread it.

However so many anime, manga, web novels etc drag their story so by the time the ending occurs the story itself is well below average and the ending equally so. I don’t get depressed by a poor ending nor do I regret my time reading a story but I get frustrated by the authors choice to end in such a way. I don’t really theorize how a story will end so everything is usually a surprise for me but I don’t like when authors shit on their own characters and world building with questionable ending pairs and actions that annihilate the established themes. Attack on Titan is a recent example of that - I found it interesting only for the ending to completely ruin the rest of the story for me, regardless of how much I enjoyed the story up until then. Oh well, not upset about it, there’s so many more other works out there to read next.

5. ZEDNEM

ZEDNEM Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If it’s something like Angel Beats or Clannad: After story I’ll be crying like a little b*tch for like an hour and I’ll be depressed for at most a day, and as for novels go especially like Infinite Competitive Dungeon Society and Everyone Else is a Returnee I’d be extremely satisfied.

But generally when they end and I’ll be sad for at most a few days like when Adventure Time ended

Edit: just realized I misunderstood some stuff about this thread but what I feel about Endings is that as long as it isn’t a shitty ending I’m fine with any ending albeit if it is a sad ending I’ll be in a bit of stump for a day or two

AmaiAkagane likes this.
  6. Bad Company

Bad Company Crossing the highways of fantasy

Reading List:
    Link
    If the ending makes sense story-wise I don't usually hate it, even if it was done poorly. An ending can destroy a story very easily if not done correctly. The ending has to make the story complete.
    Some endings I've seen coming before were usually basic endings. A lot of TV movies fall in this category. If you also watch a lot of procedural dramas, you can figure out the bad guy/ending quite easily. I figured out "The Village" ending/twist early on too.

ZEDNEM likes this.
  7. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Theres a few type of feelings i experienced when I encounter an ending.
    1. Relief (finally released from this torture)
    2. Disatisfied (too many loose ends and the author just ends it abruptly)
    3. Flabergasted (the "our journey is just beginning!! Or the author is dead/ unable to continue ending")
    4. Bitter sweet (sad ending or death ending. Dont always meen its bad)
    5. Wanting more (the series is so good I try searching for similar stuff to continue where it left off)

But ofcourse, seing a series end is alway better than a forever hiatus or the translator leave for mars never coming back and the series never picked up again with no mtl available.

nyamachi and ZEDNEM like this.
  8. Dragonfyre001

Dragonfyre001 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, my imagination is lackluster (part of the reason I love reading) and I don't often imagine how the rest of a character's life would pan out if the novel is cut short. Thus, I would only try to read novels that are completed or have many chapters translated.

It is only with sad anime/novels where you get the bitter-sweet feeling, that I try to imagine a world where the characters achieve happiness; However, my imagination often turns to the direction of the MC accepting the depressing situation (death etc) and moving on, treating it as a happy memory while it lasted, which leaves me unfulfilled.

9. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    it is inevitable hmmm just natural stuff~ just like meet and separate~

what make this cat wonder is when something is prolonged..... yes when you read enuf or watch stuff enuf you may sense when story is prolonged aka deliberately long, this kind of story when end make this cat think.... thats it?

well at least it have ending.... is it satisfying or not or whatever that different stuff so this cat just feel oh it end thats it then move on.... maybe send some missiles if the ending suck~

10. Baldingere

Baldingere Roseau pensant

Reading List:
    Link
    I love surprises, not necessarily for the ending. But I've also gotten too good at predicting what comes next. It doesn't hamper my enjoyment thankfully. Recently, I even like getting spoilers, and I still love the moment when it comes up.

11. Sproutling

Sproutling We are the Sproutlings

Reading List:
    Link
    I try not think too much about the ending. Some anime/manga/novel definitely have shitty ending, that make you say: "what? Just like that? Wtf? Or meh."

In the end I accept the ending and move to new one.