Discussion what tropes makes you drop a novel?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by tommyhunz, Jan 14, 2022.

Tags:
  1. tommyhunz

tommyhunz Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In many Chinese novels, one of the most common tropes to bind a female character to the MC's harem is the use of aphrodisiacs, in my opinion this kills the story as it forces the girl to give herself to the MC rather than character development. Another would be that all the beautiful girls become part of the MC's harem, and that usually conflict arises because some perverted young master sees one of the harem members causing the young master to try to abduct or rape the harem member, then it turns out their father/grandfather is like 2 realms ahead of the MC and the MC gets saved by some random plot device such as a passerby

For Japanese novels, it would be the MC trying to force their views on the world they've been reincarnated or isekaied from. Also one thing that makes me drop a Japanese novel would be saying that the MC is reincarnated and their mental age is like 100+ but they show nothing to prove it, they will always be acting like that are 10.

2. Kassandra

Kassandra Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Too much misunderstandings.

I feel that my liver and lungs was on fire every time I've read a novel with so many misunderstandings.

Mr v, xnvesha.14, weebounty and 11 others like this.
  3. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    mostly hypocrisy and double standard.

GlueGod, mir, Iruma666 and 4 others like this.
  4. eskarleh

eskarleh i'm tired

Reading List:
    Link
    mine is when they transmigrate into a child and fucking act like an adult. they can be a baby and they start to speak like an adult when they're a couple of months old.

and when they recreate an invention and say they created it... that shit don't sit right w me

5. meliksu

meliksu Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When mc becomes so op that there is no excitement anymore

GlueGod, mir, Cbb42 and 3 others like this.
  6. Preciousmele

Preciousmele Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To long, 800 chapters are my limit
    To op

GlueGod, mir, Cute05o3 and 2 others like this.
  7. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    When the ML tries to force himself onto the MC, whether through rape or controlling their life. I once powered through the first arc of a story where unusually the opposite happened: the MC manipulated the naive ML into sex and when I realized the second arc wasn’t much better, I dropped it. But yeah, usually it’s the other way around. There was one story I was reading that was really cute, even though the side couple was icky rapey, and then the ML decided they were getting married without asking the MC and blind sided him with the wedding and I was done. It disturbs me how comments and reviews tend to gush about how cute the chapter/story is when a character is rapey.

GlueGod, mir, luoxinle and 3 others like this.
  8. Resplendor

Resplendor High Lord of Souls

Reading List:
    Link
    - When the MC is no better or even worse than the villain. Especially when it comes to face slapping. But because they're the "hero", their greed is magically justified.
    - When a highly abusive Romantic Lead ends up with anyone, much less the MC. And there are so damn many of those. Q_Q
    - Disrespect of food culture. No moderately advanced Medieval like society is gonna have all crappy food that is going to magically be saved by the power of soy sauce. Just like any foreign country, they're going to have their own food culture and it's gonna be at least decent. Same for super advanced societies. They're not going to just magically forget about food. Also, salt is a basic building block of life. Deer and cows and monkeys seek out salt. You do not have to "invent" salt. Or bread for crying out loud.

GlueGod, xnvesha.14, mir and 14 others like this.
  9. lunarshadow

lunarshadow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chinese: Murder Hobo MC cultivators; faceslapping the same way every 5 chapters.
    JP: MC's denser than black holes; Tsunderes; JP Cuisine is better than every other cuisine

xnvesha.14, mir, Iruma666 and 3 others like this.
  10. Heartless

Heartless May your heart be your guiding key

Reading List:
    Link
    The all-knowing constantly discussing peanut gallery which magically appears to see the "super awesome" mc face-slap random people while being the "underdog". Always "discussing" what they just witnessed and being surprised by everything.

l truly dislike these people. Where do they come from and why do their lives orbit the mc face-slapping people?

Well, honestly reading lazy writing makes me drop novels. Face-slapping is not a substitute for a story. A peanut gallery is not a substitute for describing scenes. Harem is not a substitute for a personality.

While these l have no problems with the elements themselves, l truly hate when they act as substitutes for crucial elements in a story. Lazy writing is not truly writing - lf the author cannot take their own story seriously, then why should l. --> dropped

mir, Iruma666, Cbb42 and 8 others like this.
  11. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Slag men that get a happy end with their abused wife.
    Dumb women (silly white sweet trope) that end up with a manipulative bully (extra points if he's a so-called tsundere on top).
    Weak-at-life woman gets pregnant under dubious circumstances with weak-at-common-sense man, several years later their genius baby gets them together.
    Oppressed and cheated on woman, enters marriage contract with random male lead character type.
    Entering the entertainment business for revenge...
    Getting married for revenge......

mir, Cute05o3, Cbb42 and 6 others like this.
  12. CardOne4All

CardOne4All Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When the mc is pedophile and I’m talking about those types of mcs who always flaunt with their experience of doing something for x-hundred of years only to become a shit brain at the sight of underdeveloped girl who’s teeth weren’t even able to fall out.
    (Sry for any grammar mistakes)

13. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There is some manga that I read where the mc like crabs and the residents are appalled by it as they view them as same as we view insects. See Fear Factor for reference(when participants ate other culture strange dishes.

14. mYboiS

mYboiS Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mpreg. Not really into it. I like bl. But with mpreg, i just feel like im reading a regular normal non bl novel.

15. Deleted member 343155

Deleted member 343155 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Smut. I just can't stand smut. I dropped MDZS because I heard there is some snu snu with Bichen. Recently I came to know it's only in the extras, so Ima pick it up again.

Fluff. If it's too much

I was reading a bl ger novel where the MC is like 'The food here is so bland and tasteless but don't worry, lord black pepper will save us. After adding a bit of black pepper to the food, it will become so tasty, you will be licking your fingers:rolleyes:

16. xuexxi

xuexxi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    there are also some racy scenes in the mdzs main story. it’s not much so just look out for the tags (hopefully they’re there) and just skip the parts

17. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    I mostly dislike when the author mind controls people to make them act out of character. For comedy, for drama, to reach the next plot point, force them into a relationship, whatever the reason. Stories that sell themselves as misunderstanding comedies are the worst perpetrators, but I find romance novels in general to often have an important scene somewhere along the way where a character suddenly forgets she's supposed to be confident, or an otherwise perceptive person suddenly doesn't notice a change in the person he likes, so on and so forth. It also happens in the worst harem cliches, tsundere and yandere transformations when the author doesn't know what he's doing.

Stories that do the same to settings are also annoying. Set up rules for magic, the protagonist is special because he can use it without chanting, and ten chapters later all the enemies use chantless magic too just because. Or protagonist goes to an area for fun and it just so happens that some bad guys had a thousand-year plan coming to fruition the day after he arrives, and they could have succeeded if they'd just done it earlier since the set up had been ready for at least a hundred years, but the author decided to have them wait until the protagonist arrived like some kind of RPG.

:mad:

18. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Repetitive information writing. Sometimes its just too much.. do the author really needs to remind us the reader that the MC have a high status or power compared to its peers over and over and over and over again through out thousands of chapters?
    At that point I can just scroll pass everything and just reads something inside of the "____" brackets and nothing would be missed.
    Its more infuriating if I actually like the story...

I also hate where the author faked out a BL inside of a shounen series without a tag of it. It might not be BL but the way the protagonist thinks of certain males is just cringe worthy and the MC behaves like a shoujo MC despite the series not having romance between the 2. The way the ML tease the MC is also exceptionally creepy.

Cbb42 likes this.
  19. Wakashii

Wakashii Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Everything you said about chinese novels makes me drop xD I hate harem, I can't withstand with the amount of good novels that were destroyed by those plots and I really dislike MCs that loves dozens of women, to me, they are not trying to achieve Dao, just waving fun with mortals desires. The FL must be fuckin bad ass, and if she's bad ass, she doesn't deserve to be just one more wife, she needs to have personality, but holy, its so hard to find novels like that, so I just endure 1~3 wives, but anything more than that = bullshit.

So, I just follow the simple: no dumb mc, no harem and no rape = good enough to read.

mir, Iruma666, Cute05o3 and 1 other person like this.
  20. Mellogang

Mellogang Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    - Too much misunderstanding
    - Hypocrisy of MC/ML/FL
    - Double Standards
    - Too much drama
    - Father jealous of his son trope
    - Mary Sue
    - Naive protagonist
    - Childish, acting cute but adult protagonist
    - Abused MC settled down with scum ML
    - In BL, making a man act like a woman, childish and cute which cringe me a lot
    - lack of character development
    -harem and reverse harem

Iruma666, Cute05o3, Fuyuneko and 3 others like this.