Discussion Under the Oak Tree Translations; Author's Announcements

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Westeller, Jan 1, 2022.

1. gorblegorb

gorblegorb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There is, go to Ridi > (bottom of page) > customer service center > FAQ > How to report illegal content leakage.

The publisher is Rosen, and the complaints go to them, not KSJ, so no need to worry about stressing her out. Many Korean fans on Ridi were posting how to do this process when the illegal translation issue was getting press.

overtanned, swiftynifty and poppypop like this.
  2. Czaech_Returns

Czaech_Returns Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    what.the.fuck.happened.at.LNH..........................................................................................................??!!

Since when did the UOAT novel on LNH not found? Would anyone care enough to enlighten-- I was so damn busy that I only find this time to visit but now its 404. *sighs in frustration*

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
  3. Bluecattea

Bluecattea Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Huge entire discussion on that was moved here: https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/under-the-oak-tree-translations-authors-announcements.141315/

4. Czaech_Returns

Reading List:
    Link
    I see. thanks btw. One thing I can only say for sure is that, if only this could be handled before, someone has to expect the unexpected right from the start actually. I may wanted to blame the author and the translators as well. The author if only perhaps to know that one day the possibility of getting an overseas fans just like in mangas,(where selling manga books is apparently popular overseas the reason as well why some manga are definitely best selling) i think it should have been a discussion or rather a plan to have an involvement internationally so that it could have been right form the start that this will become popular and bestseller one day but I think it also has something to do with the Publishing company she worked in, which is totally at MOST FAULT here therefore resulting to overseas fans relying on translations which usually ends in illegal sites and therefore earning illegally but the translators could have the integrity by settling some kind of a positive involvement with the author which is not a hundred percent guarantee of cooperation to both parties that's why in the end, both are hurting----illegal translations are banned----losing some income for the author and then yeah a long way to go process for the other readers to enjoy a fully absolute translated books. I both support the author and the english translators as well but the system or rather the situation in between is what really is the main problem here. *sighs in frustration again*

5. Sa12Ben18

Sa12Ben18 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Perhaps KSJ did not think that it would be so popular. After all, she was sick for quite a while too. I think the moment Manta published the comic in English and publicized it so big, the English version should have been published. That would have been the best solution, in my opinion. Because with the publication of the comic, the series became really popular overseas.

But now we have the English version on webnovel.:D(y)

6. poppypop

poppypop Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah, I mean I have ridi and all, so for me it is not an issue that they took it down. Even better for the author so she can rightfully earn what is due. But I am a bit baffled now with Ridi, they got a big surge in popularity with international readers and so far zero effort in providing at least an international page or better options of payments like paypal. Webnovel is okayish but they could have released the ebook before… They also let the author completely alone in dealing publicly with all the issue when usually PR teams exist for that. Moreover, no chance to buy OAK merchandising outside of South Korea…I mean let us support the author, we just want to spend money:blobjoy:

That’s why, they let basically a sick person alone in defending her work…She’s their most popular author now, a bit of official support could have helped more.

7. Czaech_Returns

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah that's the irony of their problem. They wanted it to be popular but did not think ahead of getting it internationally. I believe that authors get more money when it is purchased internationally. Expecting the unexpected is important, it is one of the essential thing for taking a so called risk.

Edit: I'm actually getting the point now. The novel, It was never meant for the international readers (painful as you may heard) it but the way I see it, nationwide selling seemed more of a big deal for her than putting it international...no wonder why she had a fan club but most exclusively only to korean fans and the author is most comfortable to interact with koreans because specially she's a korean. We can't argue with that now that she takes it to consideration (by making her novel available now In English translation) as a respect for those who purchased on Ridi and still supports her who wishes to read it in English as well.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
  8. Bluecattea

Reading List:
    Link
    Is there any way to just pin a link to this discussion to the top of every page in the spoiler thread? Every time someone discovers the fan sites are gone, or catches up on the author announcements, it starts up again because it looks like nobody on the spoiler thread is aware yet, when in reality it's just over here.

Westeller likes this.
  9. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No. And if there was, I doubt people would read it anyway.
    Just report any random new posts people make and I'll move them here.

And, honestly, that spoiler thread is massive, and ever growing. If a few people say something off topic from time to time, it's really not the end of the world. This thread was created because of the sheer quantity of off topic discussion in the thread, more than anything else.

poppypop likes this.
  10. Bluecattea

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for answering! Also I apologize for slipping up and making your job harder by answering off topic before. Have an awesome day!

Westeller likes this.
  11. ruruka

ruruka Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    whatever the author decides, canceling the sides stories or Riftan POV, I'm all for it. It's her mental health after all who will suffer the most if she let the readers dictates her anyway :(

12. b5437713

b5437713 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dang, I heard the author was upset but I didn't think she was this mad. Its unfortunate she's feels discouraged from continuing on her planned side stories and I hope given some time, now that the fan trans are gone LNH at least, she'll reconsider. I have my own opinion concerning the authors thoughts on fan trans and her intial approachs to resolving the issue but take the stance that no matter what the authors wishes should be respected. The fan trans should have at least been taken down as soon as the offical eng trans dropped and Webnovel isn't that bad tbh. Don't want to pay? employ some restraint and patience and just use fastpass to read everything for free.

Personally speaking I am thrilled we have offical eng trans now cause reading the marginally edited MTL were starting to give me a headache. I can't belive anyone would pine after those translation when better ones that can put money in the author's pocket exist. I've even seen some ppl complain about it on webnovel.

In any case I do hope her anger will cool in time and she'll reconsider about the side stories.

13. OverlyUnfriendly

OverlyUnfriendly Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    webnovel is terrible though. most of their shit is mtl. what reality are you living in uh, "clearly a throwaway alt account"?

14. Kaithar

Kaithar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Without reading the entire thread I just want to say...

This is the reason I get [omitted for public decency] when fan translators and sites rant about people "stealing their work" and publishing it on aggregation sites. They don't seem to understand the hypocrisy of their actions when the things they complain about are precisely the same as what they are doing to the authors. Certainly, there are authors who are okay with fan translation but I would expect that they're a minority and the ones who directly approve an effort seems incredibly few. A lot of fan translations don't even give obvious links back to the raws so you have to search to support the author directly.

Worse, a lot of offenders are poor quality. Webnovel's model of charging for terrible mtl versions seems to be catching on elsewhere. Cranking out tons of poor chapters while asking for support via Patreon or similar is insulting. Advance chapters behind a paywall are a nasty scam, even if many people doing it are not aware.

And worst, this behaviour is becoming more blatant... For example, if you release a chapter which keeps using male pronouns in scenes involving only female characters, translate names (Hotaru to Firefly, for instance), or that just straight up don't make sense, then I refuse to accept that you did a good job. These are not errors that should make it through a TL, editor and proofreader. Instead we have sites enabling this by giving low quality translations a platform and NU feed, presumably bypassing some of NU's submission QC. Special shout out to Travis Translations.

/ranting

LaDyViL and Westeller like this.
  15. Nikitaxo

Nikitaxo Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay, Im a bit confused about something.

The author talked about an English version of Oak? Can anybody enlighten me more about that?

I would like to know if there truly is an official and legal english version of Oak and all of its books? If yes, where can I buy it?
    If you tell me her solution is webnovel then Im sorry to say that Im terribly disappointed. I'd rather wait a year or two for a kindle book to come out with true written english and not some MTL. And thats what I think the author means by an english publication? Or am I just hoping for too much?

I am totally on her side considering the pain and heartache the illigal aggregators brought upon her novel, but if she doesnt suggest a good solution for foreigner readers apart some stinky MTL then Im sorry to say, Id rather read good translations for fan translator.
    This book is too much of a masterpuece to be ruined on the hands of half assed translation.

So i really want to know if we'll have an official english publication with good translation, sold on amazon and any other international bookstores?

16. Sa12Ben18

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, the book is officially translated by webnovel, also confirmed by KSJ, and from 21 February the first 39 chapters will be officially available to buy as a Kindl version.

17. dachshundpoptart

dachshundpoptart New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Question - is there an English translation of Book2 that ANYONE can point me to? I will gladly pay for the translation! I have scoured the internet and just can't seem to find the second book anywhere! I want to read it so badly!!! Thank you!!!

I couldn't agree with you more! If you come upon a real translation please share. I want to support the author and continue to read this book!

Is the version of Oak on Ridi just in Korean? Or is there an English version of the site to purchase the book? I want SO BADLY to read the whole thing but I also want to support the author but I can't seem to find an English Ridi version? TY!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2022
  18. Sa12Ben18

Reading List:
    Link
    Book 2 is not yet available in English.
    On ridi it is only available in Korean

19. shlalmir123

shlalmir123 New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    what is LNH discord? i want to know what they said about under the oak tree. but i cant seem to find any of their social