Recommendations BL that's not too cliché

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by AutumnSugar, Jan 20, 2022.

1. AutumnSugar

AutumnSugar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Pls rec some BL where the main couple isn't the stereotypical seme/uke dynamic.

Something like 'Devil Venerable Also Wants to know' or 'Don't pick up boyfriends from the trash bin' where it subverts those tropes...

Any genre is okay but I do prefer historical/reincarnation/transmigration

2. lady-kyo

lady-kyo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  3. SarahBlaBlaBla

SarahBlaBlaBla Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would like to recommend:
    Sha Po Lang
    Quickly wear the Face Of the Devil
    Thriller Trainee
    Global Examination

These aren't necessarily outside of the usual dynamics, but they are pretty much all power couples

AutumnSugar likes this.
  4. Stephanie1399

Stephanie1399 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Stone Age Husband Raising Journal
    Transmigrated Into a Big Boss to Snatch Away the Cannon Fodder
    Supernatural Movie Actor App

AutumnSugar likes this.
  5. armad224

armad224 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  6. AutumnSugar

AutumnSugar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've been think about reading QWTFOTD, but it has alot of weird tags do you have some context about them?

Is the last one selfcest?

7. myfakeaccount

myfakeaccount Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  8. Resplendor

Resplendor High Lord of Souls

Reading List:
    Link
    -Devil’s Political Marriage : Serious dark vibes. Don't hate the ML too soon, there's some misunderstandings that get cleared up pretty quickly. So good though. Very much a PVE (protagonists vs environment) sort of story, which you don't see much of especially in such a romantic BL. Completed.

-The Virtual Character I Personally Raised Wants to Marry Me: Focuses more on kingdom/world building but with a good amount of fluff. Not completed.

-Picked up a Strange Knight: Perfection. Absolute perfection. A fantasy, relatively low ranking, Knight accidently transfers to modern Japan. Proceeds to slowly fall in love with his new roomate and savior. Completed but sequel is not.

-The Virtuous Omega Disguised as the Vicious Colonel: total power couple. ML is the best trash prince ever. Delicious and interesting chemistry. Much fluff, but with some great action/mystery. Completed.

-Don’t Pick Up Boyfriends From the Trash Bin: World hopper, but the ML is the system. Beautiful as they come to rely on each other and foil the schemes of the true villain. Another one that's not terribly light though. Not completed. Edit: which I now notice you mentioned in the comments and thus probably already read. My bad. (#'_'#)

The Show Must Go On: ooof, this one's a doosey. Dark and smutty. Overthrows the otome genre, stuffs it in a barrel full of cement and tosses down an abyss. He cheats and manipulates his way into not only white washing himself and his daughter, but changing the values of the "heroes" as they're smacked in the face with the realities of running a kingdom. The bad guy wins in this one, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Completed and sequel in the works.

Thrive in Catastrophe: yet another dark one. End of the world zombies but many years after the outbreak with bases being quite advanced, like sci-Fi advanced. ML does not pamper the MC but forces him to grow and survive. Hot hot smexy times near the end as well. And some great plot twists! Completed.

Today’s Dinner is the Hero: A literal puppy of a ML, aka the demon king. Much fluff! Some smut. Kinda cliche, but not terribly so. Not completed.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
    Baldingere and Nihu like this.
  9. Lunaleska

Lunaleska Lurking

Reading List:
    Link
    I recommend 'my husband is suffering from a terminal illness'
    Power couple, with a cool and calm uke and a hard mouthed soft hearted cowardly seme.
    Entertainment/buisness setting with an overthrowing golden finger heroine troupe.
    Its well done, and completed.

10. SarahBlaBlaBla

SarahBlaBlaBla Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, QWTFODT counts to the Quick transmigration genre ( traveling to different worlds and fullfilling quests/ survive),
    so he performs his roles as different persons in different type of worlds. Some tags or settings can appear strange, but they are actually pretty well written even if you don't like them usually.
    As for what kind of worlds there are, the following is going to be some vague spoiler:

An apocalypse world where mc has to find a cure, a abo world, where he lets himself get castrated and joins the military, and a few "normal" worlds with different themes

11. armad224

Reading List:
    Link
    how about
    Dark Tales
    a very nice lovecraftian yaoi novel

12. Stephanie1399

Stephanie1399 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep, he is both people in one body but gets a body for second self later

13. ShizukaMomo

ShizukaMomo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Baldingere likes this.
  14. SuouNono

SuouNono Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Bursting After He Transmigrated into the Cannon Fodder Omega

15. Nessi

Nessi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Definitely https://www.novelupdates.com/series/golden-stage/ ...Historical...Highly recommend it if you haven't read it already...love this couple...here I'm stopping my mouth or else I'll ruin the fun by spoiling too much...

https://www.novelupdates.com/series/silent-reading/ (love this book...MC is a not so serious about work rich businessman but always "helps and bothers" the police and ML is a cop who used to think he is the most clever and capable being on earth...once his collogue thought this is a domineering CEO cornering honest policeman script(MC also thought so but... you know...oh and MC was always top in his past relationships...)

https://www.novelupdates.com/series/peerless/ -(Historical...MC is weak as f*ck and clever as f*ck...honestly I really admire how he clung to his life with that broken body and even use his sick body as advantage...ML is a peacock...they are not enemies but their works are similar but one is under the emperor while the other under the empress...the competition and rivalry and calling each other mean names(like dead fox-ML calls the MC,Oleander a poisonous flower just looks good-MC calls the ML)...they pit each other so much even after getting together...not much romantic plot tho,it's plot driven...
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/my-husband-is-suffering-from-a-terminal-illness/ (transmigration,entertainment...MC is really a good schemer of business and bold...ML is rather shy...he borrows the name of the cook to give MC foods and MC calls it a coward Mouse secretly giving sugars...
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/where-is-our-agreement-to-be-each-others-arch-rivals/ (transmigration,wuxia...MC and ML are real cuties and there are some angst...)
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/beloved-husband/ (QT...MC is seme...pure cuteness with good plots...some angst here and there but not much)
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/global-examination/ - Unlimited Flow...the relationship between MC and ML is really fun to read but their past story together was really ...not spoiling...the mystery and task,plot etc was great..MC and ML both has Military Training in the past so...both are strong as hell...

so I tried not to talk too much about the books(I always do that when I talk about my fav books)...

Ddragonesse and Baldingere like this.
  16. Baldingere

Baldingere Roseau pensant

Reading List:
    Link
    After marrying an evil god

17. armad224

Reading List:
    Link
    Dao Of The Salted Fish (Salted Fish Cultivator)

Soul Shard Captor [BL] -full of misunderstandings and extremely great SMUT

18. sleepycaptions

sleepycaptions Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    - SAYE
    - Restricted Area (

They’re both modern settings but not a neither couple’s falls into the stereotypical BL tropes, nor are the stories cliche and expected.

19. Hweianime

Hweianime Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Baldingere likes this.