Side character and villain

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by Reic, Jan 20, 2022.

?

Do you love side character/villain more than protagonist/MC ?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. Depends

18 vote(s)
    72.0%
  4. Others

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Reic

Reic Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why do i love to write fanfic about side character? Because i can do almost anything with them, unlike main character, they usually have little to almost none background about them who their family are, what's their personality, etc AND unlike OC( original character) who need to rewrite all the scene to include them, sid character already in the story, they have scene in original that can be used so the story can keep roughly follow the original.

And why i like antagonist? Sometimes they are the ones with rational mind and common sense (not all of them) their backstory sometimes more sad and heartbreaking than the protogonist ( usually the big boss villain) and sometimes they actually have a justified reason for what they do to protagonist although sometimes excessive (usually rival character like the fiancee or because of the rules and norm at the time if that takes place in ancient time)

2. Wakashii

Wakashii Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I ALWAYS like side character more than MC

3. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes the side character are just MC's worshipper and the villain is just a cartoony evil character. So..
    If the fanfict write the villain or side character to be better and indepth Id like it more but that meens that it isnt the same character as the original anymore.

4. Galooza

Galooza The One True Walapalooza

Reading List:
    Link
    The main thing is they're not judged the same. MCs have high expectations and are judged harshly. Sidekicks, not so much. Hunter x Hunter may be the best example of the most popular villain being unanimously(?) liked better for good reason.

5. Xian Piete

Xian Piete Author of many mediocre stories

Reading List:
    Link
    I am a little shocked that a brand of adult diapers is leading the poll.

6. Reic

Reic Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's why i wrote not all of them and i said sometimes not always, and about side character i just wrote for writing a fanfiction they have a lot possibilities because a lot of them don't have solid background, they almost like OC but they are not OC, they are in the original story

Thanks for the reply, have a nice day

Excuse me?

7. Darius Drake

Darius Drake A poster of verbose posts

Reading List:
    Link
    Search "Depend Diapers", basically Xian Piete thinks he/she's funny by making a pun. It tracks with the fact that half to most of their answers in the "Author Discussions" threads are esoterically worded half-way to being answers that don't help anyone. Every now and again they DO actually give a good answer, but from what I've seen they are few and far between.

As to my answer to the actual question, it depends. I can't touch writing fan-fiction, myself, the feeling of skewing cannon away from it's basis just pushes me away. Admittedly, I don't really write much into the way of original works either, but that's more a case of not writing enough and things like that, while I feel emotionally repulsed by the thought of writing fan fiction.

8. Reic

Reic Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you , we don't have that brand of diaper here
    I understand, people have different way of enjoying something, i don't like skewing canon myself, that's why i said i love background character, i can write them without really affecting canon, because they are not main character, they are not in every chapter of canon, i can write anything about them outside canon and i can still roughly following event in canon because the background character still character from Canon, they are there in canon as background, so by writing about them will not really affecting the Canon ( my preference, i don't know about others)

But i am sorry, using the word 'repulsed' in a post about fanfiction is a bit rude for people who enjoy fanfiction.

9. Darius Drake

Darius Drake A poster of verbose posts

Reading List:
    Link
    Apologies, but just to clarify, I'm not repulsed by fanfiction itself, it's only when I put thoughts towards attempting to write some fanfiction myself that I get that feeling. Think of it like onions, some people are fine with eating onions, but the thought of cutting them up or cooking with them themselves can be problematic for some people.

One way to think of it is, you know why you avoid writing fanfiction utilising MC's? I get that feeling even if I attempt to write a fanfiction about someone on the literal other side of the planet from the MC, whose closest interaction with the MC is a restaurant server who wasn't even mentioned in the story. This is because I feel like I would get something about the setting, the power system, or some other "major" thing that nobody who would read it really cares about wrong.

Also, I only just realised that you might be interpreting the word repulsed being used in the manner of "I saw poop on the sidewalk, I need to avoid that", while I meant it as in "I feel as if I'm physically pushed away if I attempt this". As I literally thought about attempting to write some fanfiction and had a feeling akin to as if I was being physically pushed away from my computer screen while writing my previous response.

I apologise for any discomfort or irritation that my word choice might have or will cause, they are entirely unintentional.

10. Reic

Reic Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am sorry too for misunderstanding you.

11. Xian Piete

Xian Piete Author of many mediocre stories

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you even an author? What have you written aside from forum trolling? You may not like what I have to say on every question, but I am a real author with experience and knowledge to share.