News A massive DMCA takedown notice incoming from jjwxc

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by nonononononono, Jan 20, 2022.

1. Nessi

Nessi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    bgta likes this.
  2. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Exactly this, and beyond this. So long as they continue translating at all, the risk remains the same. No matter how difficult they make it to access their translations, someone determined to redistribute those translations for profit will manage to do so. On the new platform or elsewhere.

This knee-jerk reaction won't accomplish much, if anything. Their translations may still end up on the platform regardless, there may very well be nothing they can really do about it, and others may profit off their work. At this point, the best thing these translators could do is stop panicking and resolve to simply ignore the new platform. Treat it as any random aggregator. It may redistribute their work for profit, but so what? Aggregators have been doing that since the first day they started translating - often without authorization from a license holder to begin with.

This is not, should not, be anything new to anyone translating.

Instead, quite literally dozens of groups have shuttered their translations (tens of thousands of releases so far) due to nothing more than fearmongering, and in pointless attempts to prevent the internet from being the internet.

It is, always, a translator's personal choice to provide their translation work for others. This is true regardless of the number of readers and fans - paying and otherwise - who are... inconvenienced... by disruptions like this. Their personal health, financial stability, etc, etc, come first. It's a pity, however, when that choice is motivated by irrational panic.

3. bgta

bgta Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not like aggregators. There's a possibility that they get sued for hosting their own translation. It happened with qidian vs wuxiaworld, note that wuxiaworld actually had the right to translate.

But I agree, at some point it will pass and fans translation will persist. It happened with xianxia genre, it happened with manga, manhwa and korean novels. And fans translation still exist.

Btw, if anyone want to read about qidian/webnovel and why they are so hated that the community actually encourage people to pirate.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/HobbyDrama/comments/mn3hjf/translated_chinese_novels_how_a_chinese/

4. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    ah tea.png
    maybe they will understand what some authors feel toward fans translation~ it similar stuff ya see~ more likely on JP scene where author may try to get publisher~
    ah btw how about that oak something thread? tbh this cat find it really amusing not long after oak rant jjwxc thread pop up~
    the universe have sense of joke~
    nyahahaha!

5. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    "as distance tests a horse's stamina, time reveals a person's heart"

6. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Their translations are either licensed, in which case no such fraudulent lawsuit is possible, or aren't, in which case they're at risk of being sued by jjwxc for unlicensed translation to begin with. (And much more likely to eventually receive a casual DMCA cease-and-desist notice rather than a full blown international lawsuit, particularly by a random private citizen in China trying to claim their work as their own). Nothing changes.

I suppose there's a legitimate concern that jjwxc may take a more active interest in quashing fan translations for awhile, but the prevailing fear seems to be more in line with the idea that random thieves are going to repost their translations for a quick buck, and less sudden realizations that their work may not exactly be legal.

As an aside, a thief profiting off a stolen fan translation has a vested interest in the continuation of that fan translation, and would probably not be trying to get it taken down.

Lissi, Blitz, wistful and 6 others like this.
  7. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    this cat heart is evil~
    really evil~

8. bgta

bgta Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What you are saying actually make so much sense. I do think the translators are just panicking right now because what happened with qidian, most likely.

From what I see, some big groups were locking their translations, and the others followed just because. And it just spreading like fire.

Some, usually the older one, are actually quite chill, they are just slowing down their translation and will see if they get DCMA'ed. Some other just go on like nothing happened.

But, all in all, jj is just another qidian, an evil capitalist. :p
    It's quite ironic since a lot of CN webnovels I read often demonizing capitalism.

9. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    isn't jj big boss same as qidian? tencent~ tencent is capitalist lol so much so china start crackdown on it last year~ anyway the trend go international from cn platform may hmmm on going event~ dunno how it will fold in future~ if the quality, price and payment system "reasonable" it will get more normal later~ still, depend on translator who wanna work with them~ if they act like disney who really love monopoly oh well go to underground~

bgta likes this.
  10. asckj1

asckj1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just want to put my thoughts-

I think most people have probably forgotten why fan translations were started in the first place. Because people who understood the language wanted to share good stories with others, these fan translations/scanlations were started long back when content from various countries started becoming available legally or illegally. But for the past 2 or so years, since the CN danmei community started growing, I've only seen all sorts of gatekeeping, barriers being put up where people need to first go to the cn novel website, purchase the novels, show proof of purchase to fan tlers, most of whom are "illegally translating" these novels. Even if most of us regularly communicate with each other on some sort of social media platforms, we're still strangers. How rude is it to demand proof of purchase from strangers and only then give them access to illegally tled novels? On the other hand, I have also heard that some tlers have actually gotten permission from the authors to translate their webnovels. If this is true, why didn't any of them actually put up some proof of permission from author similar to how they ask their followers to show proof of purchase?

I do understand that the translators wish to encourage people to purchase original content and support authors, but this feels like a totally strategically forced way of encouraging others to purchase stuff. This could be done in a nicer, non-forceful manner where people put links to purchase guides at the start of every chapter, for example. There are many who do get encouraged to purchase the original content in this way too. Encourage people, but just in an non-forceful manner.

And now suddenly one day the info about jjwxc intl website coming up got leaked, I would say. Leaked because of the jjwxc authorities wanted English reading fans to know, they would announce it in English? The moment this info got leaked, there was utter chaos and locking of all tled chapters out of fear for something that is going to launch- when exactly, no one really knows and of course indiscriminate stealing from aggregators. There is really no way to keep tabs on any aggregators, no matter what sort of measures are put up. Before you breath your next breath, one chapter, no matter how tightly it is restricted will still find it's way into one or another aggregator website. How to stop this? IP tracking? It also doesn't work, because there's still a thing called dynamic ip, so no real way of tracking. putting every chapter behind password? Can they track if any person who gets access to these passwords will NOT share it anywhere else in any way?

Some more questions I wonder about-
    1) Most translators get a ego boost when followers appreciate their work, right? How come things are made so so so difficult at the drop of a hat for the same people who give the translators that big an ego boost?

2) There are tonnes of jp manga as well as jp light novels that are being scanlated/translated every day and being shared. Those fan scanlators or tlers don't fear that other licensing companies will steal their works? Why such a huge fuss with only jjwxc intl.? Was there some hidden motive to bring about this whole commotion even before the official authorities announced it by themselves? Was this somebody's way to get things done a particular way? And will jjwxc really keep mum when they find stolen things on their website? If the authorities are really thing untrustworthy why were intl. fans guided to purchase stuff from there in the first place?

3) What happens to all the people who diligently actually purchased the cn novels though they don't understand the language just because the fan tlers who they were following had a condition that only if they show proof of purchase, they can consume their tled chapters? Will all the fan tlers who demanded this ensure that all those who purchased the full cn novels will get full access to their tled chapters without going through the trouble of continuously jumping through hoops to of new restrictions they put in fear of their tles getting stolen?

4) Many fan tlers started the movement of strategically guiding intl. purchasers to jjwxc cn website. And now that jjwxc probably has finally taken notice of this and is trying to launch and eng website, they're opposing it or are suddenly not saying too many good things about it? What was even the point of strategically forcing people to purchase the cn novels then? There is money involved in all the purchasing, did they think that every single country's currency is as strong that people would find it affordable? There are countries where cn apps/websites are actually banned and also all means of purchases are. Are we still supposed to somehow do to the extreme just to somehow throw our money while risking our information just so that we could access some fan tl?

11. bgta

bgta Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ooooh... I didn't know this. Then, it make sense. If I can access legal content with reasonable price and condition, like how it is today with K-drama, I'm actually happy. But, maybe not so much given that I know how shitty qidian and jj treat their authors.

I've never been asked for any proof of purchase before I can read any danmei. But, maybe it's also because I'm a casual reader that are not really active in the community. That was quite silly.
    I understand encouraging to buy the raw to support the authors, I did buy some that I really like. But forcing ppl to buy the raw before giving the translation is....why?

Maybe because it has never happened in jp community? It did happen in cn community with qidian.

Also, jj (and qidian) is known to ignore plagiarism case(s) in their website.

12. tailor31415

tailor31415 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with a lot of your points except one key fact here - the info wasn't leaked, jjwxc sent out the message to all users of the site. I have an account to read novels there, I had the message in my inbox. of course jjwxc doesn't care if English reading fans know, they are a Chinese company focused on their Chinese users and audience. the message was so their authors and their readers who know English (the only language permitted in the beta for tlers) are aware of the opportunity. they wanted Chinese users with English skills to go sign up as translators for the beta and to notify authors of the changes coming up.

aShinyVaporeon, Ariss and asckj1 like this.
  13. Lucia Elys

Lucia Elys Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm sorry, but I've only started seeing this in the past few days since JJWXC announcement, and those locked chapters have all been taken down from NU already. In all my time reading danmei on this site before this debacle, I have never seen a fan TLer ask for proof of purchase before accessing their translations because NU does not allow chapters that are password locked or require a sign in to be linked here in the first place.

14. tailor31415

tailor31415 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    people have been asking for proof of purchase for a while, but yes, not novels listed on NU. there are a lot of tlers who do this who post chapter notifs via twitter/discord and specifically ask people not to list their stuff on NU.

asckj1 likes this.
  15. Parth37955

Parth37955 [Unavailable, go away] Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    they exist. there's also multiple discord servers that require proof of identity and even credit card info to allow access. people are desperately stupid at times.

baka8roukanako, Ariss, asckj1 and 2 others like this.
  16. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    I've never heard of these so I always thought such translators were the minority. Judging by the percentage of comments on this thread saying that the books they read require proof of purchase, I am shocked

baka8roukanako likes this.
  17. asckj1

asckj1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah. It's a good thing that NU doesn't allow password-locked links. Atleast people who want to share freely can share their tls on this platform.

If you follow the actual tlers on twitter or on their websites, you'll know to what extent this has gone. There are some websites and tlers who of course still share freely, but there are some who are trying every which way to monopolize translations of particular novels (Qiang Jin Jiu and Case file Compendium are two examples. You can try to search them. They are currently password-locked though).

Then there is another subcategory of show proof of purchase to access advanced chapter tls. This was started for Husky and His White Cat Shizun (2ha) and then many many many new tls started following this weird trend.

Not sure of why this bevahiour is. Maybe it could be a step they take to try to go pro or there could be other reasons too.

Also, if you try to voice your opinion against this, you'll be mobbed and told that you are being entitled. Also, another very commonly preached thing is, tlers have every right to what they do with it, you don't have to follow, and you don't have the right to speak against it.

Sure the tlers can do whatever they want with their tls. But then, no need to drag others into trying to control the fandom to act in a particular way.

We all wish to support the original authors. But not all of us have the resources or the money to do so. We all do purchase stuff as and when it is possible for us.

18. yayoi

yayoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Im mostly on twitter and I found plenty amount of translator who do that. Or they have like advanced chapter or you can access the gdocs of the translated chapters if you provide proof of buying raws, something like that

Amaruna Myu, asckj1 and bgta like this.
  19. Alairia

Alairia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So uh, does anyone know when does this new jjwxc website get launch?

20. yayoi

yayoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes I was really scared since they be dragging everyone who were against those trends so I choose to stay silent at that time. I understand why they would do that but some of what they said is really... harsh I think (the one who didn't agree with them).

I would love to support the author by buying raws if I really like their works if it's possible (financially).

asckj1 likes this.