WI: Mythological Greece to the modern day.

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by thegoldenboy2188, Jan 28, 2022.

1. thegoldenboy2188

thegoldenboy2188 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Simple question. How do you think a mythological Greece would develop into modern times?

Personally, I feel like the gods might be divided on how modern technology is affecting the world.

Gods like Apollo, Hermes, and Dionysus might throw themselves into the decadence and entertainment of humanity.

While gods like Artemis, Demeter, and Hera may dislike how it's causing nature to die, fewer animals to hunt, or even mortals not worshipping gods as much.

Athena and Hephaestus may try to focus on the good, more arts and knowledge, more machines, and simply accept the bad.

I see Poseidon and Hades not really caring much, and Zeus being like an old boomer.

With the "back in my day" stuff.

armad224 likes this.
  2. armad224

armad224 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    the pantheon ?

what about the god of war ares ?
    [​IMG]
    I would imgine ares to be similar to this guy , selling weapons to both sides of conflicts

3. thegoldenboy2188

thegoldenboy2188 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Totally slipped my mind, yeah I could see him being like that.

Another thing perhaps is the culture change.

Most greek stories of heroes have them striking out and killing monsters, doing tasks mostly on their own.

Sure sometimes they have an avengers team up like the Argonauts, but Greek heroes are usually on their own.

With the advancements of technology comes the ability to fight monsters without relying on the 'heroes'.

Perhaps they'll be a monster-hunting corps or something.

Which conflicts with people who believe or want to be like the olden heroes of legend. Like a herd-mentality vs lone mentality thing.

Also, I have an image in my head of like a dude in full spartan armor walking beside a dude in like a high-tech Iron-Man suit on a normal street with no one blinking an eye.

Like what I have in my mind is like a steampunk world, but no steam, instead its greek magitech.

Greekpunk.

armad224 likes this.
  4. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    hmmm do you mean what will happen if the myth survive somehow until modern time and become part of reality or what?

this cat assume they part of reality in modern time such our time then what they do?
    if we limit it strictly to only the pantheon (god and goddess stuff or divinity), there still some mismatch legend and stuff but put that aside atm~ Hades will be supremely judge.... yeAh he cold, indifferent and stuff but he is fair~ this cat imagina he will said "Law is law"
    Zeus will become famous or infamous womanizer....

well just look into videogame then, maybe some online game where old magic with God and stuff exist with technology~ replace the magic with Greek stuff then you are done~

on Rising force online where 3 race war at each other there exist Holy Alliance Cora~ something like elf with God system, there summoner~ magic healer and stuff~ their amour and weapon quite high tech~

or maybe the 40k warhammer stuff? on simple way bunch of kids flock together make their own faction then spit whatever stuff they think will make their faction "awesome" then other counter it with more "awesome and cool" stuff but on dark edgy style~

5. Darius Drake

Darius Drake A poster of verbose posts

Reading List:
    Link
    It really depends on how you they enter today's society. If "Ancient Greek Mythology" just time travelled from its heyday to the modern day, then there's going to be a LOT of problems, especially from the gods themselves. You know that stuck-up jerk who thinks he's better than everyone and treats everyone else like dirt? Well, give that guy mystical powers, a willingness to transform or outright kill those who slight them and absolutely no punishment or recourse for their actions and you have basically the entire Greek Pantheon. Some of the most famous monsters of Greek Mythology, such as Medusa (and possibly her two sister Gorgons) and Arachne, were monsters simply because some god got pissed at them, with Athena alone being responsible for cursing both Medusa (for having sex/being raped by Poseidon in one of Athena's Temples) and Arachne (for bragging that her weaving was better than Athena's, and actually being able to back up that claim).

Add to that the fact that Ares was basically the Brutal War God or God of Combat, and can probably be accurately compared to angry idiots who start bar fights on half a glass of watered-down beer due to "being drunk", Zeus would currently be considered a serial rapist who tends to transform into odd things from animals to literal showers of gold in order to commit his acts of rape, Hera isn't willing to confront her husband about his cheating but is more than happy to do things like curse/poison his illegitimate children into insanity as revenge (she did it to Heracles), and more about the pantheon that I don't even know. Hell, I remember reading somewhere that Heracles (who became Hercules when Rome changed the Greek Pantheon's Names) likely would have killed one of his friends when they were sacking Troy years before the Trojan War, due to said friend entering Troy before him, and the reason why said friend survived is due to rapidly building a shrine to Heracles to placate him. Add to that the fact that Heracles was one of the best-mannered demigods/gods, and most of his famous 12 acts came due to him deciding to punish himself for doing X or Y crime (including murdering his family one time while drugged into insanity by Hera) by attempting what was considered an impossible feat, and a significant reason why it was self-imposed was because nobody else could actually enforce anything onto him...

You are MASSIVELY underestimating how much the Greek Pantheon were spoiled children with God Powers throwing their weight around simply because they could if you think that they will do anything but start a war trying to force the modern people to worship/obey them by force.

IReadWhenBoredSoWhat likes this.
  6. IReadWhenBoredSoWhat

IReadWhenBoredSoWhat Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are quite a few media examples ranging from Percy Jackson to Lore Olympus on how people think it'd go. I'm with Drake on the less pretty picture of things(Zeus). Greek Gods were meant to be humanish despite being gods and the culture was very different. Overly Sarcastic Productions on Youtube has a wonderful line of myths and break downs of some of the greek myths and gods if you're interested. Learning more about their stories from different views could help narrow down the portrayals you want to have them take. (if that's your end goal anyway) For example is one of my favorites

And remember, there are no simple questions here.
    That said,
    Dionysus would be 100% be on Vine/Tiktok while running the largest club chain of all time.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
  7. Darius Drake

Darius Drake A poster of verbose posts

Reading List:
    Link
    This IS a place where simple questions go to find that they got a whole bunch of complications added to them, like they went on a shopping trip while on holiday, saying "we can't buy much, we don't have room in our bags to carry them", only to discover when they return to their rooms to pack that they now have twice the amount of stuff as when they first arrived and they don't even have room for a third of everything.

Dionysus may WANT to run a club chain, but I honestly don't think that he'd be able to deal with modern spirits and cocktails all that well. I just looked some stuff about him and ancient greek alcohol, and was surprised to find that their wine was just accidentally fermented fruit juice, and typically watered down at 5 parts WATER to 2 parts WINE (as per here). Honestly, when I initially wrote that, I was thinking more along the lines of the fact that fortified wines and other strong alcohols were only created sometime like the mid-15th century or so (from memory. One second I'll check: My quick google search seems to say 17th century, but the Fortified Wine Wiki Article lists a lightly fortified wine from the 13th century). And fortified wine has a maximum alcohol content of 20%, where we have alcohol's of 50%+ alcohol content. Ancient Dionysus does NOT have sufficient experience with modern alcohol to do anything with it unsupervised. Including drinking it.