Cleaning up tags on NU V2.0

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by marine1corps, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Sorabito

Sorabito Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello. I'm really sorry to bother. I was wondering if tagging something as seinin takes time to approve? I saw a couple untagged stories and looking into them felt like they were seinin and edited the listing. They show up without the seinin tag days later though. Did I do it incorrectly? Please let me know

:)

I also noticed that a lot of josei tags were removed from a lot of listings. Is it permissable to put them back on if the story itself is a josei story?

Thank you so much for your time and help!

Thank you for your time!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
  2. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    that on genre section no? for genre nah dunno never play with it

if you think genre should be edited then maybe you can put on report problem on NU or just list each novel with argument why the genre should be edited

3. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    It takes no time at all, it's instant actually.

After you put the tags/genres in though, someone can remove it. This is probably what happened.

4. Sorabito

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you guys for your help. I'm hoping it is just a troll. If it continues then I shall make a report. Thank you again!

5. Sorabito

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello. Sorry to bother again but it still looks like someone is removing shoujo, shounen, seinin, and josei tags. Should I make a report for each and every instance? Because it's a lot. What would be the best way for a user to go about this?

wistful likes this.
  6. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    The mods are probably aware of it by now, so... If they aren't undoing the changes (which is something they can do), they're probably fine with it.

Sorabito likes this.
  7. wistful

wistful Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah I noticed this too. It seems like someone is removing those genre tags off novels that aren't Japanese, so basically Knovels and Cnovels. I can see their reasoning because the genre doesn't exactly fit, but there's really no other way to filter for books that basically mean "F/M romance written for a female audience". If you try to filter by "Romance" and "Female Protagonist", you will just as likely end up with books targeted at guys.

It's an imperfect categorization, but it serves it's purpose at least.

Sorabito likes this.
  8. Fuyuneko

Fuyuneko winter cat

Reading List:
    Link
    The josei tag was removed on a lot of ongoing novels. I put them back on the novels I could remember, but they were gone the next day. The only novels that have josei tag left on them are the ones tagged for smut (with one exception for the top 100 novels). Its mostly the Korean smut novels that have josei tag left on them. Is this a decision made by the moderators? Could a moderator explain what qualified as a josei novel?

Out of curiosity, I removed the josei tag for a few Korean smut novels, and the josei tag was added back within 12 hours for those type of novels, so someone is probably keeping an eye on them?

This was the list I was looking at. https://www.novelupdates.com/genre/josei/?sort=2&order=1&status=3

Sorabito and wistful like this.
  9. Fuyuneko

Fuyuneko winter cat

Reading List:
    Link
    Josei tag has been removed for all the Chinese and Korean novels that are above 720 in monthly ranking this time this morning. Looking at the logs, someone adds back the Korean smut novels after they're removed the last few times there was blanket removal of josei tag.

Sorabito likes this.
  10. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    well that mean it really on moderator area to conduct search and destroy err search for culprit to get the answer~

play with tag is tiresome enuf now this.... truly a dedication

Sorabito likes this.
  11. Sorabito

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you kindly for your reply. I never considered that possibility but I hope that isn't the case. It would be really disheartening if so.

Thank you kindly for your response. I'm really relieved that it isn't just me who has observed this. Based off the description OF the genre tags though, it doesn't -specify- the country of origin. It just states the demographic and a brief reasoning behind it. Those words have become loaner words. Otherwise we wouldn't have "Deja Vu" or Karaoke etc etc. It's really frustrating but I am thankful at least to have the site as a way to search for web/light novels. This just makes it a bit harder but, not impossible :D

I added Josei, Shoujo, Seinin, and Shounen for a couple of ongoing releases that had gotten recent updates only to notice that they were taken down the next day. Sad but also glad that I am not the only one to have noticed this.

I really hope the perpetrator is approached in some capacity. Playing with tags makes it that much harder to search for titles on the site :(

Fuyuneko likes this.
  12. Fuyuneko

Fuyuneko winter cat

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder if its two moderators that disagree on those genres. It be a pain to change so many novels back and forth manually. It would be helpful if those 4 genre's had their explanations updated to say if they can be used for non-Japanese novels or not, so there's no confusion.

13. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    The mods handle disagreements on genres internally, they don't do tagging wars.

14. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Disclaimer: I'm not particularly involved on this situation and I honestly couldn't care less about the way it's currently going, as I haven't really used genres to search for NU stories in forever.

With this out of the way, let me try explaining why the current situation is probably happening.

First things first, some terms are more generic than others, so the comparisons you made don't really apply.

Josei is a demographic genre, meaning that the genre is supposed to be added to novels whose target audience are primarily adult women... But as far as I know, on non-Japanese stories, it was primarily being used to refer to erotic stories, which is not the purpose of the genre... That's basically misusing it, so might as well keep it only on the Japanese stories, where it was being used correctly.

Seme protagonist on the other hand is fairly simple and intuitive. In a novel with homosexual romance between men, the protagonist is the one that is the dominant one. That isn't really misused, nor something specific to Japan.

The same applies to Yuri and Yaoi, which just denote homosexual romance, and ecchi which implies there is some extent of fanservice without being actually erotic.

On the other hand, stuff like R-18 tends to be locked only for Japanese stories, because it is a Japanese classification... For works of other languages, the adult and/or smut genres usually suffices.

So, when trying to look at things from the origin of the tag/genre, you need to look at them in the context of NU, see how they're being used, and if they're being properly used or misused, and if there is an appropriate substitute already in place.

If all that Josei was doing in Korean and Chinese stories, was point out to some smut, then Female Protagonist + Smut in the Series Finder is already more than enough. No need to let Josei be misused in those stories.

15. wistful

Reading List:
    Link
    That is absolutely untrue. Plenty of cnovel stories targeted at adult women used Josei correctly because it was more serious in tone and involved things like arranged marriages, abuse, miscarriages, rape, etc. They've all been removed. That's WHY we are complaining. Those novels were tagged correctly based on the current descriptions of the tag, if that has changed, then update the tag descriptions first.

Also, I doubt the person performing this "service" has actually read all the novels they're doing it for. If they're only trying to "correct" tags based on other tags and have NEVER read the novels, they need to stop because they have no idea what the novel is actually about.

It's a separate issue, but China now strictly enforces depictions of gay sex in novels. So since there's no depiction of penetration, you either have to rely interviews/context hints from authors, or it devolves into a dumb top/bottom war. Which is what has been happening. I don't think it should the tag as a whole should be removed, but there are fans who are definitely abusing it because they want to try and claim one character is seme.

Sorabito likes this.
  16. Sorabito

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi again. I'm really sorry to bother but I seem to be unable to change genre tags now. When I hit edit the tags don't show up. The other tags show the selection though. Just not genre.

17. patient

patient Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know yaoi/shounen ai novels do not suppose to have "male protagonist" tag, but does the same apply to yuri/shoujo ai novels and "female protagonist" tag?

18. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes. Yuri and Shoujo Ai novels should not have the Female Protagonist tag.

patient likes this.
  19. wistful

Reading List:
    Link
    So is the official statement from NU that Josei and Shoujo can only be applied to JP novels now? If so, you should update the genre explanation so people don't get confused and try to restore tags they thought were vandalized and wrongly removed.

Sorabito likes this.
  20. Tsubaki -

Tsubaki - Unknown Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Reversible Couple Description Change
    Two GL novels (Eastward Flow and My Princess Has Been Reborn) are tagged with Reversible Couple, but the description is BL exclusive. I think the description needs to be changed, to encourage GL readers to use this tag.
    Tag description: In the yaoi gerne reversible couple arent defined in Top/Bottom.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022