Discussion Does China/Korea/Japan translate English novels/webnovels?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Szara, Feb 6, 2022.

1. Szara

Szara Your average American Psycho

Reading List:
    Link
    While I was in Vietnam, I saw translated versions of "Gone With the Wind" and "Jane Eyre" at the grocery store. My dad also bought me "A Clash of Kings" (Book 2 in 'A Song of Ice and Fire'/ Game of Thrones series), but it was in English. However, all of these are internationally famous books.

I was wondering if other Asian countries also have an Internet community where they translate English books and webnovels (by fan translators, not paid professionals).

Like, what kind of books do they translate? From which websites? Fictionpress, Wattpad, Scribblehub, AO3? Is there an Asian equivalent of NU? That would be neat.

Do TV shows also have fan translators? I recall 'Game of Thrones' having the most number of pirate viewers. Are some of them Asian? There was also a HILARIOUS 'Hannibal' trailer in Korean, and a surprising number of Korean watchers. Do they view American shows in English, or are there asian subtitles? Are there websites for this?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2022
  2. Xian Piete

Xian Piete Author of many mediocre stories

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, they do.

Rumby likes this.
  3. Feralis

Feralis Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You mean Statunitian shows?

4. Ywmikki

Ywmikki Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes they do. The more famous books have official translation as does the movies (they dub it and the result is hilarious). Other thing like novels and webtoons have official translation too but most often they're fan translated (bc of Chinese Censorship few pass the rigid selecting for an official translation:blobspy:). If you want to watch some TV show or series they usually have fan translated sub (really good sub) and something they have Chinese sub+English sub so if you want to watch some free high quality show be free to search the show in Chinese :blobpeek:. The foreign movies at the cinemas usually have the option of dub or sub and you choose the one you want to watch and another fun fact: Chinese movie have Chinese sub+English sub even if they speak Chinese (y). Every program in China be it a movie or reality show have chinese sub so you can watch it even without the voices:blobjoy:

Szara likes this.
  5. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    yes we do have one but not really organized, depend on the country~
    random, but back then its like baka tsuki system, jp > english > other language~ dunno about nowday
    there plenty on pirate site~
    one type is full sub
    another type is only give subtitles so we need to put it into the movie or tv show... soft sub or hard sub stuff? usually on notepad
    anime and movie well there bunch of it~ for western cartoons not much, there more on movies~ tv show... meh~

Szara likes this.