Roses are a bad gift

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by powwder, Feb 15, 2022.

1. powwder

powwder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    People only like roses because they are beautiful and smell nice. What kind of message is that to send to the person you love? In addition, Roses wilt rather quickly and die fairly quickly (7-10 days if you keep them in water) and then you replace them with new younger roses that you only like because of their beauty. Is this the message you want to send to your lover?

A potato on the other hand is durable and strong and will last almost forever. It will overcome hardships and still spout no matter how difficult life may be. In addition, a potato isn't the most aesthetically pleasing vegetable but that doesn't matter because we love the potato for what's inside (the delicious potato). Mentioning how it's delicious, a potato is something you can feed your family and help them grow strong. This is why a potato is a better symbol of love than roses.

2. Harry

Harry Now you see me

Reading List:
    Link
    Totally agree, and unlike rose they dont have that nasty thorn

3. mameko

mameko Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What's wrong with that? I like beautiful things. Bonus: it smells nice. I want to share beautiful things with the one I love so we can both enjoy beautiful things as fleeting as it is. Even though roses and flowers last for a moment, you share that moment and give that moment to someone you love which makes it special.

On the other hand, potatoes can be bought plentifully at a supermarket in a bag which means it's a common object. There is no value in potatoes because everyone can get it easily and it's ugly. And hard. You're not even putting the work to make it yummy. It's just a simple ingredient. This makes it even worse as a gift. You're telling the receiver to work harder at simple things, and that you don't want to do the extra work for them. Therefore cursing them to suffer. This is why potatoes are not a good symbol of love or a good gift.

4. CarburettorThomasson

CarburettorThomasson Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A rose bush might make a nice gift for someone who owns a property. They are pretty hardy plants, so you don't need to bother much when taking care of them.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
    HentMas likes this.
  5. HentMas

HentMas Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I'm gonna gift the love of my life a tuber ripped straight out of the ground (dirty) that is used as emergency food and is a symbol of poverty and starvation.

Regardless of the characteristics of the "potato" they don't really signify successful or nice things, beauty is important because it's fleeting, not because it's enduring, roses are amazing gifts to be appreciated in the short period of time they are beautiful, if a tuber is such a great gift, go give a rock then, it lasts longer.

And no, Diamonds are a terrible gift... they are a marketing scam.

6. RainMorga

RainMorga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Potatoes can become poisonous when not handled properly. It's a good gift if your intention is toxic, I guess...

7. Mr. Meh Man

Mr. Meh Man Subtly suggests yuri

Reading List:
    Link
    The worst gift is a white elephant. According to legend, some Persian/Indian king would gift an albino elephant to people he didn't like. Since they're albino, they burn easily, they eat an incredible amount of food, and letting it die or giving it away would be disrespectful to the king... or something like that. I don't know if it's true though.

hypersniper159 and DrunkReader01 like this.
  8. aShinyVaporeon

aShinyVaporeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The whole point of sending roses is that they’re pretty, smell nice, and traditionally symbolize love.

Of course, you can gift your lover whatever you want and have whatever opinions you have about roses, but it doesn’t change the fact that roses have generally positive meanings in floriography, and potatoes don’t.

If you’re griping about roses being useless and fleeting, boil some tea with the petals, or just gift them a rosebush.

9. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    I was happy to receive roses yesterday. :blobwoah: Maybe you’re just jealous?

10. Britnh3

Britnh3 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Succulents or food. I get more enjoyment out of both.

roses are ugly when in full bloom. What does that say about them?

11. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    red roses have the meaning of some sort of love in the flower language, has nothing to do with the durability and lifespan.
    Then again if you would rather get a potato from your loved one on valentines', you do you.
    at least ask for a brocoli, its a flower

Sawanara murasaki likes this.
  12. Agentt

Agentt Loves cats and pats and my wife

Reading List:
    Link
  13. simak

simak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To tell the person that they have thorns.

Then again you can always fold one: http://www.origami-instructions.com/origami-kawasaki-rose.html

14. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on if HOA is involved.

aShinyVaporeon likes this.
  15. DrunkReader01

DrunkReader01 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    roses have been coined as a romantic gift for centuries, in the flower language they're literally a flower that symbolizes love.
    Personally I'd prefer orchids. If u get me beautiful orchids and help me take care of them I 'd be over the moon 4 ya

16. NirvEND

NirvEND That time my NUFfamily started a cult&caused chaos

Reading List:
    Link
    I think what you probably meant more was 'flowers are a bad gift' since you only mentioned them wilting, replacing and meaning.

I think flowers can be an impactful gift if the proper thought is given. No need for an enormous bundle or wide variety even one will do. There is a language to flowers that is pretty universal so I feel if proper care is taken they can be incredibly meaningful and special. There are thousands of flowers out there and so many unique variety as well. I've been speechless before at how stunning some of them are honestly.

So I think with the right thought in place for the meaning behind the flower(s) you pick. They can be a very touching gift even if they will wilt that can hold meaning as well.

mir likes this.
  17. Bad Company

Bad Company Crossing the highways of fantasy

Reading List:
    Link
    The potato will be coming towards your head if you give it to your significant other instead of roses. Potatoes can also become rotten, moldy, shriveled or sprout. A person can also get ill eating potatoes due to solanine poisoning.

mir likes this.
  18. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    An old potato is also toxic. Are you implying to your SO that she is toxic? :ROFLMAO:

Thai, not Persian. No worries, you only missed by about a continent. :p

19. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Im pretty sure roses became a symbol of love because the first pervert saw the petals look like a v and gifted it to his spouse and she taught nothing of it and said awwwww.

20. Shitaii

Shitaii Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why potato? Isn't gold better option?
    Either ring, necklace or earrings, white or yellow gold select the one she prefer. If it's long lasting what you seek.
    And i don't think she will happy, when her circle talk what gift they receive and she just got a potato. :cookie::cookie:

mir, Nancy Drew and Fictionaddiction like this.