Discussion What type of reviews are the best? And which reviews are hateful?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Rubyspecs, Feb 23, 2022.

1. Rubyspecs

Rubyspecs Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The one which mentions that the novel is MTLable. :blobjoy:
    I guess mtl of historical Chinese novels are totally unreadable. All your neurons will degenerate by the time you finish reading even one chapter. These novels contain so many terms and have a different format of conversations between the characters. So it's better to wait for them to be completely translated. At least 60 percent as I don't like feeling of left hanging in middle of the plot.

But I guess for modern Chinese novels, I found many of the mtls are actually quite readable. By the time you would finish the whole book, only one or two neurons would have stopped working. Like I mean you could enjoy the story without side effects

2. Geor

Geor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    any that don't read like the authors mother wrote it

Shaiole and Ivette like this.
  3. hansora

hansora Someone Who Seeks Fluff & Heartwarming Stories

Reading List:
    Link
    aside from MTLable, I love reading reviews with important spoilers

4. haizimen4

haizimen4 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    the ones that praise my favorite books lol

5. Shaiole

Shaiole Mad scientist

Reading List:
    Link
    One that has read a decent amount of chapters or finished the ending. Those without spoilers. Those that explains why they like/disliked it.

xnvesha.14, XIII, Geor and 1 other person like this.
  6. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Reviews that run counter to the popular sentiment, giving seemingly credible reasons for their choice; they're especially important when a novel page is crowded with 5 star ratings and gushing reviewers. Also good are the reviews that won't gloss over the fact that the first 100 or so chapters will try your patience; I hate it when reviews urge you to ignore a poor, clunky exposition because 'it gets great later on' as if that justifies everything.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
    Jojo775 likes this.
  7. Airlol

Airlol Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The one that give point of objective. Don't care much the type of novel and at least read more than 50+ chapter. Had more wisdom and knowledge to know the plot, characters, background story and many thing. Don't just give a review when in emotional problem. At least the age is more than 25+ for at that time we human had past our teen age time.

8. 2eXo4

2eXo4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A review that actually isn’t their own opinion, but a fair view on the story. Also, a review that admits that they are not the targeted audience for the story.

9. XIII

XIII Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Reviews where one completed said novel or read it halfway or more, not just one or two or three. Most of the time the novels i enjoyed were those with more negative comments than positive ones.

Read for fun likes this.
  10. Rubyspecs

Rubyspecs Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The review which are particularly hateful are the ones which give 5 stars and praise the novel to heavens with completed status.
    While the novel has not been even 25 percent translated and its mtl is trash as usual.
    They make me green in envy of being able to read raws happily and show off happily while I am grinding my teeth waiting for novel to be translated day by day. :blob_teary::blobtriumph:

11. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    why is good and why is bad with it reason that this cat can understand~ so it ok if only see bad one or only good one~ ideally there balance still that only ideal~
    all review is subjective cuz if it really objective this cat will read report~

anyway it written on funny way.....
    here example
    well this cat can expect what kind of story it will be~

12. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The one that having so many cons XD
    I'd pass reading those 5 star review and search for 2/3 star reviews instead.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
  13. rrrrrrr

rrrrrrr Member

Reading List:
    Link
    the ones that explains what they like or dislike about the novel. not just events that happened but about characters too.

Issis likes this.
  14. ShadowAscetic

ShadowAscetic Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like reviews with a lot of spoilers, especially if they mention which chapter has something going on or which chapter the love interest come and so on

15. Mahou-nii-sama

Mahou-nii-sama Ultimate Cannon Fodder

Reading List:
    Link
    The best reviews are the 1 star reviews, sometimes they are so petty it makes the book a really great read.

Read for fun likes this.
  16. Issis

Issis 'Feeling is a Gift and a Curse'

Reading List:
    Link
    Dislike reviews where they had not completed the novel, read 7-8 chap and labelled entire book as trash and hating on the author, being rude beacuse of the characters or otherwise.

ansusta and Read for fun like this.
  17. etmn_

etmn_ New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Agreed. I think it's fine if people hate a story cuz we can't like everything. But it's better to be polite even if you don't like it. Also, tbh while the 7-8 chapters and then dropped reviews are a bit annoying, I think it's fine as long as they don't rate it using stars. Cuz that affects the overall rating. Idk if there's an option to do that tbh but I feel like I saw it before.

Read for fun and Issis like this.
  18. Read for fun

Read for fun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Same like how are they able to say dumb things without reading whole or even half they just start wining

ansusta and Issis like this.
  19. Nancy Drew

Nancy Drew Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like Korean novels (fantasy, gender bender, BL subtext) but usually I don't have access to Korean sites where these novels are published, so I often read detailed reviews from Korean readers about Korean novels instead of reading Korean novels. I don't know Korean, so I read reviews through Google Translate. I think it's better to read through Google Translate for free the detailed Korean review about a good Korean novel than to read a bad English novel for free. Also I don't know English, but I'm trying to find those translators on English sites who can translate novels from Korean into English. Oh yes, I am a true fan of Korean literature.

Read for fun likes this.
  20. Read for fun

Read for fun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Birth of premature review:: they come into this world because of certain who run to click 1-2 stars without bothering to invest their time and just become fed up after few chapters :confused::confused:they disect the novel(based on reading few chapters) like it is a lab frog literally and show people who enjoyed it like it is a sin like many people enjoy stolkhom syndrome in fixtions
    Good review can be any which assist in understanding novel or explain open endings