Resolved I thought paywall chapters were not to be added per NU Policy?

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by gary0044187, Mar 6, 2022.

1. gary0044187

gary0044187 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Was reading a story that I had found through NU and got about a tenth of the way through before encountering the paywall. I checked to be sure, and found that that chapter and every chapter after, to the end of the story, were listed on NU. I thought paywall chapters were not meant to be added?

"Novel Updates will not add your releases if any of the following applies to your release:
    2. Your release is locked. (Not accepted: password protected, requiring user to log in, appwalled or paywalled releases. ..."

Example in question: Game of Monarch from chapter 27 through the end of the story are all behind a paywall. or is the supposed 2 chapters a day from free karma enough to subvert this?

2. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    AliceShiki, runsing, Arkantos and 2 others like this.
  3. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wuxiaworld seems to have a somewhat special position where even if they copy QI, people aren't against them

4. gary0044187

Reading List:
    Link
  5. lygarx

lygarx Lazy Translator

Reading List:
    Link
    If you set certain sites to clear cookies after leaving, you can avoid certain sites that put chapter limits per certain period.
    if your phone isnt able to set that up on a browser, then I suggest viewing that chapter from that site in private mode so cookies arent read by the site to trigger this. some sites i disable javascript too. all they end up doing is making me read from aggregator sites when I want to binge read a series from start to finish.

6. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    wut do you mean? iirc ww have app wall similar to wattpad

7. gary0044187

Reading List:
    Link
    good point, though I am going to avoid talking about how to subvert their methods to be funded. Unless that means that because the site's paywall/appwall are being subverted, fundamentally the site is not subverting NU's policies?

8. girisuherman

girisuherman ∆ Hiki Bear ∆

Reading List:
    Link
    honestly the paywall system is flawed, there is lots other site that copy translation and post it for free, Like most story on webnovel is 60 chap free and rest is paid but if you copy title and run it on Google paywall is gone.

9. gary0044187

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah that's sad. TBH, i don't mind paying to read things. just some forms of paywall are more cumbersome than others, and tbh, keeping subscriptions to multiple sites is a lot like paying for multiple streaming services. just doesn't sit well with me to do too many at once.

10. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Been a while since I checked, but last I remember, Wuxiaworld had something like... "You can read 100 chapters for free, after that you need to make a free account to continue reading."

This only applied to the novels with ongoing translations, but... Well, NU staff figured this was a small enough hurdle to jump through (especially because it offered the 100 free chapters), so they decided to keep on listing those WW novels... Or at least that's what I remember. Been ages since I last checked, so I might be misremembering and/or things changed since then.

Either way, if a novel does get properly paywalled, do report it. NU will unlist all paywalled chapters.

Westeller likes this.
  11. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    With the new WW website, the current limit is 10 free chapters. After that you need to log in or use their app. (Or delete your storage data/close the private session)

Like other said, if some chapters are actually paywalled and haven't been unlisted yet, go ahead and report them.

WW paywalls its chapters week or two (I think) after the series gets completed. And there is one series per three months that gets the paywall removed, so its possible that a previously paywalled series gets relisted on NU and doesn't get unlisted again after the three months, if nobody reports it.

12. Cosy

Cosy Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    WW paywalls its chapters a month after a series is completed