LCD Death Mage

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by lygarx, May 21, 2017.

1. ZeroDelta

ZeroDelta Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  2. Zamzukan

Zamzukan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is that THE LEGEND 27?

3. Arha

Arha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, so now Van is not just experimenting on and murdering human test subjects, he's also raping them.

4. The Godly Aeolus

The Godly Aeolus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well... maybe just a little bit.
    He's so likable that we sometimes forget that he's the protagonist, not the hero.

5. xacual

xacual Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  6. Arha

Arha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To be fair, what light novel title isn't improved by cutting out nine tenths of the name?

Darquesse, anon and FranckOA like this.
  7. xacual

xacual Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This one? The title of this one was pretty much to the point.

8. TRIBAL2199

TRIBAL2199 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably a good call. I passed on this novel for months because of the title.

anon likes this.
  9. xacual

xacual Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why so? Also how is simply “The Death Mage” at all a good title in comparison.

10. Kaithar

Kaithar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't say I feel all that bad for him. Illegal slavers, ya know.

I have things to say about this demigod info dump, but it will have to wait a little

11. Arha

Arha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If someone is a terrible criminal, just kill them. Making them suffer accomplishes nothing but giving you satisfaction because of someone else's suffering.

"The Death Mage Who Doesn't Want A Fourth Time" is a bad title for a few reasons. First, it makes no sense at all until after you've started reading, so it's not a good summary. A fourth time of what, getting laid? Dice rolls? Second, it's too long. There are longer titles out there, but that's like saying cancer is worse than coronavirus. Technically true, but you really don't want either one. Third, it just doesn't sound good.

CountryMage and TRIBAL2199 like this.
  12. xacual

xacual Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You didn’t answer my question. How is the title The Death Mage better? Also your complaints are dumb. An easy localization would have just been “The Death Mage Doesn’t Want a Fourth Life.” Also I seriously don’t see how a 9 word title is long. Even most western fiction I see is around the 6-10 length for titles.

DragonkingKyo likes this.
  13. Arha

Arha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because it's shorter, simpler and less obtuse. I mean, I thought the implication was obvious when I explained why the full title is bad.

The Death Mage is a little boring, but that just makes it a mediocre title rather than actively bad.

TRIBAL2199 likes this.
  14. CountryMage

CountryMage [XSanguine8] not my blood...

Reading List:
    Link
    Most western titles are only 2-3 words, they get away with longer names by putting the rest in as a subtitle. Over here it always needs the short catchy name, or one weird word, that draws you in to figure out how the title fits. The Death Mage is basic as hell, it's like writing a super hero comic and just titling it Super Person.

15. DeirdreH

DeirdreH Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Quality is always proportional to the length of the title.

milannesta likes this.
  16. tirirism

tirirism He who dealt it

Reading List:
    Link
    Like all things in writing, title preference is a function of culture. Many western books (series in particular) have a short title, with what I would call the actual title of the particular book as the subtitle. You can't go around forcing that on other cultures.

anon likes this.
  17. Donce

Donce Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lies, absolute lies. It accomplishes many, many things. If you use them for experiments you can more easy to create medicines or something else. Showing to others result of crime (you become experimental rat) some will not go to crime, not all but some.

It is a very good title. Your short title is no good. It does not make any sense. If you don't like something it does not make that thing bad. It just mean you don't like it.

It makes this title much more worst than long title.

milannesta likes this.
  18. Arha

Arha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I had a post typed up, part of which was criticizing the idea that human experimentation on criminals was okay, but I think if you accept that position there isn't actually much room for argument. Suffice to say, this is considered highly unethical and immoral in modern society. It's also hypocritical of Van given his own history.

19. Eddy andres

Eddy andres Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    you forget to grind them to make meatballs and fertilizer or send them to the dungeon so that Islas does not get bored, although there are also those who work as laborers or janitors that one forgets that they are treated according to the modern Japanese prison system (which if you compare it with the lifestyle of the outside or the penitentiary system of america in general, it's like a vacation), the justice of talosheim is based a lot on how Vandeliu got up the day he captured you and under what circumstances.-

20. Donce

Donce Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't know about modern society, but everyone call them self as they want and call others as they want. More "modern society" in future may decide to implement Van methods too.
    I don't see anything hypocritical in Van. Van learnt from "modern society" if it is for society everything is good. Modern society did not protected him and now they even fight who will get to experiment with other victims. Modern society may frown if someone throws information about this type of experiments and even say it is bad, but will use products made from this experiments with happy faces.

P.S. Van don't live in modern society. Slavery and experimentation on criminal slaves is normal in his current world.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2022