Resolved Does it bother you when the MC in transmigration novels target certain characters...

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by trying_out, Mar 27, 2022.

?

What is your opinion on this kind of OOC face-slapping?

1. It bothers me, but not much

43.5%
  2. It bothers me, period.

26.1%
  3. It doesn't bother me - I haven't noticed it

17.4%
  4. I think it's cool, wouldn't want it removed!

13.0%
  1. trying_out

trying_out Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mainly, if they target characters that :
    1. Studied (sometimes for years) the original "host" character that the MC is now embodying
    2. Then acted a certain way in response to that study... usually bad, hence they're a target of revenge...

This really irks me, because, you know, the characters wouldn't have treated the host character the way they did if they hadn't been the way they were...
    e.g.: Host used to be cowardly, so a lot of characters would've bullied them - new MC takes revenge!
    or Host used to be foolish and gullible, so some characters "manipulated" them - new MC sheds their masks!

Like - you have to come up with a reasonable excuse for the character change, in the first place - especially if its a major IQ shift.
    Plus, I've never (to my memory) seen it done, but I do wish they would go lighter on characters that just did certain actions because of circumstance, and situation.
    I get that bullying is horrible, though. But it still feels very forced when they do major revenge on young kids and teens who were bullies. Although they deserve it, I guess... it annoys me, but I'm not sure what to think, finally.

2. ForeLeave Clover

ForeLeave Clover Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I get you. I thought of korean school mangas or wuxia transmigration novels, wher they just seem to go overboard on the emotions displayed during their "revenge." I'm fine with it when its just a cold hearted "get it over with' type of deal, but sometimes it just feels annoying or so obviously unreal.

3. trying_out

Reading List:
    Link
    True, if you can quickly get over the unwholesome revenge plot, you can still handle it - it's so much worse when they drag it out!

4. Shiksha_12

Shiksha_12 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What irks me is when they start the whole saga by saying that since they have occupied someone's body, they will help them with their debts and revenge.
    Like, come on, if the original soul wanted revenge they could have done it themself in a subtler way rather than have you make a big production out of it.

5. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    But if the protagonist doesn't beat up those bullies, how will he find stronger and richer enemies to attack him so he can beat them and loot them?

Just the starting point of "transmigrating into someone else's body with their memories" says volumes about the effort the author is willing to put into the story... There's no point in expecting anything other than a parade of face-slaps, a harem of jade-skinned beauties, and horde of mooks who only exist to be beaten up or killed.

6. trying_out

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm... that is true, that some personalities are clearly not revenge-targeting, and the MC just claims so because that "revenge" is going to build up the rest of the plot and help them improve status/riches or wtvr. It's kinda a shallow way to begin sometimes...

:ROFLMAO:

Not really... as someone whose been reading transmigration stories for two years :p I like seeing how a different mentality/ attitude, with the same or approximately same set of skills ( I don't like OP OP that much ) the character can improve their future so much... so less revenge, more ideological change and awareness

7. Shiksha_12

Shiksha_12 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would rather have a new soul occupy the body, see all the pointless drama or realise they have transmigrated into a book and simply say fuck it and go far away from everybody involved in the plot.
    More importantly, the decision to go away should be firm. Not like in 2-3 chapters they get into an inescapable situation which 'forces' them to stay and solve it, rinse and repeat.
    That is even more irritating.
    Or when the MC goes away and then comes back due to their entanglement with other characters

trying_out likes this.
  8. Eishun

Eishun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, I see things differently.

#1. Beating up the bullies

It sounds like you're saying that it's reasonable for bullies to pick on the weak. Come on, that sort of thing is never okay. When you live a violent life, you should expect to have your ass handed to you at some point. And, yeah, bullying is a violent act. You've probably never been bullied but I have.

And what IRKED me back then was the fact that my bullies acted all "hurt" and "surprised" when I started hitting them back. They were like, "Come on, you have been letting us hit you for a whole year already!" And then they said things like how it "hurts" them to see a "friend" change all of a sudden. Like you don't think someone will snap when you've been hitting them for a whole year?

#2. Over the top?

Usually the bullies deserved the shit. Unless you're talking about how the MC massacred a bully's entire clan as payback for tipping over the MC's lunch tray. That's over the top. But usually, I've noticed, the bullies in novels tend to engage in over the top bullying themselves. Forcing the victim to do homework and run errands. Beating up the victim in public. Collecting protection money etc. In such cases, I say it's fine (cathartic even) to see the bullies get maimed by the MC.

#3. Karmic debt

In the event that the soul of an MC has taken over the dead body of a victim, then it makes sense to me that the MC should feel grateful enough to pay back the karmic debt. Especially since, in most cases, the MC also inherits the memories of all the injustice and bullying suffered by the victim.

trying_out likes this.
  9. OP senior brother

OP senior brother Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It slightly bothers me, but I get it, sometimes authors have trouble progressing the plot.

trying_out likes this.
  10. trying_out

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks! I now do get why taking revenge on those bullies was okay (it was a pretty bad bullying scenario I was reading about) - like, if you do something wrong, no matter to whom, you can expect anyone to pop in and hand you your ass in revenge, whether it's the person you were bullying or someone else. That makes sense.

I'm glad to hear you got back at them. And this was indeed my ignorant perception - thanks for sharing bro. :notworthy:

11. MidstNost

MidstNost 【 Reigen's Saltshaker 】【 Lingtian Raider 】

Reading List:
    Link
    Engk. Wrong. Bullying is not right no matter the context

12. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    But everything has their own consequences, no?
    A is a timid and quiet person.
    B belittles A for that.. B doesnt like cowardice/anything of A or B just a bully.
    A hates B. B hates A.
    A dies and replaces by A-MC.
    A-MC feels A feeling and helps A to revenge.
    What's so wrong about this?

Or should A in the wrong because A is timid and quiet? Or B is wrong for disliking A behavior?
    Both are wrong and they should mind each business and dont be a busybody.

With children, if they can be taught, they should be given lesson nicely. But if not, we should maybe give a real face slapping.
    A tiny mistake by children maybe. will look not so big of a problem by parent/teacher/adult. But the one suffers the bullying might not think it's light and easy to forget.

13. Mr gentleman

Mr gentleman Ok

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I straight out quit a novel where the protagonist should have mentality of an adult but acts like an immature like he takes revenge on 12 yo for bullying the owner of his body like wtf they are just kids shouldn't you be more tolerable? Nope he's probably gonna justify the s#it he does by saying "you have to step on others if you don't want to be stepped upon" in other word almost all cn cultivation mc are mentality degenerate from the very start...

Yes but the one in his current body shouldn't be the one who has been bullied. But anyway as you were saying they should be taught/given lessons nicely,no protagonist does that they straight out claim the other side is a evil guy who must be exterminated and most author probably lacks the talent and willingness to give any single character except protagonist some decent characteristics anyway cn cultivation novel doesn't cares bout other characters as long as they are not mc or part of mc's harem and one shouldn't look for some rare thing like that either...

So they should go straight out pumpkin knight on bullies no matter how small it is eh?

trying_out likes this.
  14. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    It does bother me, but not because of the bullies getting beaten up but rather because in a fair number of stories like this it comes across as the mc basically having stolen(albeit unintentionally) the body of the "host" and are sometimes arguably worse than the bullies.
    So it gets rather awkward to read about the mc taking revenge for the "host" without seemingly having any issues at all about having taken the body.
    Doesn't mean I think the mc should leave the bullies alone or anything, just that a lot of transmigrated mc's creep me out to some extent.

ChocolatChan and Mr gentleman like this.
  15. ShadowAscetic

ShadowAscetic Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Beating up bullies isn't a problem but have you read a novel where the MC got revenge on the original body's bullies by drugging them, took indecent pictures, and spread them in school forum? I think that's what it means to be over the top, although not to the point of murder or arson. Bullies deserves shit, yes, but 'an eye for an eye' is the right way, yet some MC really do like to be over the top in doing revenge. Sometimes they use innocent people to harm the bullies like creating a scenario for r*pe or something.

trying_out likes this.
  16. trying_out

Reading List:
    Link
    That is true - whenever the MC does something like that, I have to quit the novel, period. Like, that's never okay - MC should have a higher moral standard than the "bad guys", no matter how much of a "sociopath" they characterize them as...

Yeah - if the MC has an older mental age and high ability, the author needs to make sure they don't just steamroll everyone and everything. I must admit my favorite form of revenge is - MC does better and better, leaving all the bad guys gnashing their teeth in envy ...

I also hate that, y'know, if the author feels like the bad guy wasn't bad enough to be thoroughly annihilated, they make them do worse things throughout the story, thus justifying their really BE punishment... like. every. single. antagonist.