Question if you were transmigrated into a cultivation novel, what would you do to make money?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by OP senior brother, Mar 28, 2022.

1. OP senior brother

OP senior brother Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am currently writing a novel about a guy that transmigrates but has no cheats. He is an outer sect disciple and wants to make money. Help him with ideas. Thank you.

2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Asspulls... that's the way. :blobokhand:

3. OP senior brother

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm very close to doing that

otaku31 likes this.
  4. MinUp

MinUp Maidenless, yet Homiefull

Reading List:
    Link
    novels?

5. OP senior brother

Reading List:
    Link
    you mean make novels in a cultivation world?

ZnoG likes this.
  6. MinUp

MinUp Maidenless, yet Homiefull

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah... Those steamy hot kind...

otaku31, Reedusk, ZnoG and 1 other person like this.
  7. MR.Klein

MR.Klein Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends on your world are the materials for gun powder available you can make protective gear for commoners. easiest way to make money is ignorance some common plant turns out to be opium you can use that to make money. Something exists in the world that others don't know since science didn't progress to that amount and MC uses that knowledge.

8. OP senior brother

Reading List:
    Link
    that could definitely work. thanks for the suggestion.

I think I can go with the gun route. sell it to low-level cultivators and make money. there is even space for a put an arc about someone jealous of the tech. thanks for the suggestion btw.

9. dweenator

dweenator Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Without knowing the details of your world, there ain't really much I can suggest that is of substantial value. There is one thing I can think of though and it is to offer a service of any kind in exchange for payment.

10. OP senior brother

Reading List:
    Link
    reincarnated into an average sect disciple with no cheats. mans wants to make money without offending anyone that can kill him.

RiiRu likes this.
  11. Dahna

Dahna (-, – )…zzzZZZ

Reading List:
    Link
    Farm work, or apothecary.

I just want a lazy life.

Anyway, anything in the cultivation world has its guild or sect, so you can't avoid offending others.

OP senior brother likes this.
  12. OP senior brother

Reading List:
    Link
    even if you become a recluse, there is always a chance that an angry cultivator will destroy ur town passing by.
    better to stay low key in a sect if you ask me.

ZnoG likes this.
  13. dweenator

Reading List:
    Link
    My suggestion still works. Offer a service or services, Fill some gap somewhere for a price. It's broad enough to be flexible for any scenario.

otaku31 likes this.
  14. OP senior brother

Reading List:
    Link
    like what? sell his body?

15. dweenator

Reading List:
    Link
    That will depend on you, you're the author.

16. littleoctopus

littleoctopus White Lotus Slayer ✦ Villain Sympathizer

Reading List:
    Link
    become a hunter or farmer. Sell rare herbs and animals?

17. Undying Winter

Undying Winter ❅ Avid Enjoyer of Trash ❅

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, I'd just straight-up beg on the streets with a empty bowl, but that's not something I can see a MC doing so maybe he could: ​
    • Create cosmetics and launch his own brand called Jade Beauty™ with the tagline being "Turn into a swan being lusted after by toads" because how can a mere powder from cultivation world compare to the liquid foundation available in several different shades from the MC's original world?
    • Create pens or pencils. They're surely more feasible than calligraphy brushes.
    • Cook/bake and sell snacks from his original world.
    • Copy and sell poems or novels from his original world. That's kind of what the protagonist of Joy of Life did and ended up becoming famous for one of his novels and poetry.
    • There's probably tons of mortals in the cultivation world who could use some help, so I guess selling them stuff that cultivators usually use—like medical pills, storage bags/rings, or simple talismans—but in a lower quality would probably help a bit.
    • Crack. Sell crack.

otaku31 likes this.
  18. OP senior brother

Reading List:
    Link
    plz kidnap and send yourself to me. you seem to have an endless stream of ideas. thank you very much for the suggestions.

Undying Winter likes this.
  19. ShadowAscetic

ShadowAscetic Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've read a novel about loose cultivator (?) sold fasting pills for mortal soldier but I forgot the title lol you can try it. fasting pills basically used for reducing logistic burden during war, although it's a bit reckless for my taste but if cultivators and mortals has little intersection then it's ok

20. DustySpiral

DustySpiral Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well.. first off, what kind of funding does the MC need? Do non-cultivators and cultivators use the same monetary unit?

Actually, no. Although I could go into various setting considerations, I think that's missing the main point:

What kind of story are you trying to tell?

Is this a slice-of-life story about how it'd be like to live "normally" in the standard cliche cultivation setting? In that case it'd be advisable to flesh out the finer points of the setting in fairly great detail, since such minor minutia is going to be a large part of the story. How the MC makes money could effect their relationships with others, and could be used as a vector is further explore the setting over time. Design the setting, then decide what the most interesting job choice(s) would be for your setting / would work best for your story.

On the other hand, is it an action/adventure-ish story that just happens to feature a regular person instead of a blessed cheat-haver? To get the full effect of that the MC should get involved in / progress the plot without relying on lucky encounters. How the MC chooses to make money could be a good vector for noticing something is off, in a way anyone could notice, and then the MC chooses to investigate. Or any number of other plot directions! Maybe it just serves as a natural way to develop some side cast members, who knows.

---

Since the MC doesn't have cheats they'll likely be interacting much more closely with the setting than the usual OP MC, so ironing out how the sect works / exactly how it interacts with non-cultivators / etc is a good idea regardless. A lot of what you iron out might not ever show up in the plot - in fact, it'd be a good idea to avoid boring exposition dumps. However, the author should generally know an order of magnitude more about the setting than is covered in the story. Why? Because that means the subset of the setting the readers actually learn about will feel consistent, and the world will feel less artificial. It will also help you decide things like "how can the MC make money?".

I've veered off track a bit, so the main point - this isn't an RPG character, you're writing a novel. What kind of story are you trying to write? How can the MC's money-making attempts fit into / enhance that story?

OP senior brother likes this.