Don't you find this weird?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Reedusk, Apr 7, 2022.

Tags:
  1. xuexxi

xuexxi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    how can who differentiate? a third party (in real life)? in the first place, why does it matter? and there's obviously a difference between how one treats their s/o and their sibling. if they see someone treating another romantically then the conclusion is obvious while incest would the least probable, most far-fetched conclusion

there is not really any reason why certain cultures do this. it is their culture and practices, they are meant to be respected and not rationalised from an outsider's perspective

Kaylee likes this.
  2. MidstNost

MidstNost 【 Reigen's Saltshaker 】【 Lingtian Raider 】

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think it's just thai. It's just linguistic differences from asian culture. I'm Filipino and that kind of thing is normal. My mom also call my dad 'daddy' and there are times when my parents call my sister "sister" too. It just wouldn't make sense for english speakers

3. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A culture shock for me when I watched western/us tv where the children call their parents/elders with their name in front of stranger and family. Or student to teacher.

Superbulat likes this.
  4. Efu-sama

Efu-sama Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's it! Due to languages and cultural differences will regard "Brother" differently. In fact, it's not even mistranslation, or author's kink, because a lot of Asian countries have this culture of calling their husband "Brother", and it's not weird or kinky, just normal, because once again, it's on the culture.

Taruna likes this.
  5. Dahna

Dahna (-, – )…zzzZZZ

Reading List:
    Link
    Chinese usually use “哥” to call their blood relations elder brother, not "哥哥". When translated to another language, both are "brother", but have different meanings.

You can read this: https://www.zhihu.com/question/29468051

6. xuexxi

xuexxi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    umm why are u replying to me ah haha its not related to what i said? also 'ge' can be platonic but anyway, 1) thread is not just talking about chinese culture and 2) I don't see the link to what i said but i'll assume you're agreeing with me on the different treatment part

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
  7. Dahna

Dahna (-, – )…zzzZZZ

Reading List:
    Link
    In your 1st post, you only talk about the difference between your country's culture and Chinese's. I don't see you want to ask about Asians in general.

You want to know how they recognize brother this brother that, I give you an answer. You can understand how you see it fit.

You should read Chinese dictionary btw, your question can easy to find the answer on Internet.
    https://baike.baidu.com/item/哥/1525353

8. xuexxi

xuexxi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i think u mistook me for someone else i did not talk about either of those ^^ check again what u replied to/quoted!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
  9. Mr gentleman

Mr gentleman Ok

Reading List:
    Link
    Not an Asian... but a Chinese thing maybe? Or maybe a Chinese/Japanese/Korean thing? Or maybe in C/J/K people have weird kink about having their partner call them brother/sister. I mean in anime calling someone big brother is a big deal...But I'm not entirely sure bout the reason either

10. RedMochI

RedMochI Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Im also from Asia and it’s totally normal.
    We don’t usually give nicknames or even like babe or dear. It’s just cringe for me.
    The sister thing is indeed quite unusual.
    “Ako” means brother in my language and in many couples, even married ones, the girl calls the guy that or “ko” which is more intimate. I find it cute and heart-fluttering tbh, both usage of sister and brother ( mind you, not in eng. but in chinese and my language ).

Plus, if you have read Heaven’s official blessing, the gong calls the shou “gege” which I will burn China down if they turn it to like “dage” Most are fine with the usage.

So I think this is a bit of double standard going on ( not calling you anything!) as we’re fine with the brother usage but not the sister’s

so yeah, it just depends on the readers.

It is definitely an asian thing.
    Im sorry but I got a bit offended from your “weird kink” but nothing serious. I know we have such a big difference in culture.
    So in Asian countries, we show our respect by addressing them as older ppl.
    In my country, we even call strangers woman and man old enough to be our parents mom and dad.
    In relationships, calling each other brother and sister is. Not. Sexualized. At. All.
    My bf calls me “nyi ma lay” which is sister every now and then and I just feel like I’m spoiled to the heaven. Butterflies fly everywhere. But it is not a kink or whatsoever! It’s a very pure and lovely nickname for couples.

and Im sorry but it definitely is not a huge deal in anime for calling someone big brother. It is the cute way they call it out.