Discussion How did you get your pets more familiar with you?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by 2eXo4, Apr 11, 2022.

Tags:
  1. 2eXo4

2eXo4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a cat who I adopted like a couple of months back. She was extremely shy and scared- I am talking like she wouldn’t cry for food, or meow or do any movements whatsoever. This is pretty normal for cats the first few days if their personality isn’t an outgoing type, but this went on for like 3 weeks or so- which by all reasons I got kinda scared for her. I kinda reasoned that she was abused or something a long those lines before I got her. I resorted to feeding her Tuna (which she really likes), but the particular thing about it is that if I set it out she wouldn’t touch it or anything. So I had to feed it to her in her hiding spot. (But of course I don’t feed raw tuna to her very often, now, cus it’s not that good for cats I think) And for those few weeks I had to cater to her, and lured her out to a more friendly state. And even then, she was still a recluse. All my actions leading up to that point, I had to cater to her. Another example, is the litter- like I am pretty sure it was just due to shyness or just not wanting to be out in front of everyone- she would commit to pooing in my bedroom— frequently. So every morning and night, I would grab her and dig her paws through the litter so she get the hint that it’s fine to go out and also to know where the litter is at. (Which was in the living room- a pretty spacious place.) After a while of adjusting, I noticed she wouldn’t let anyone touch her or approach anyone, she would also sleep on the floor. I mean my house floor wasn’t all that bad, but certainly my bed would be better. So at random nights and off days I would just grab her and lay down with me: pet her, cuddle her, kiss her, and just try to be friendly. I noticed that after a few days of doing this, she would lay down with me more at night— even though it might be at my feet. She would also be more vocal more often if she wanted something done. Eventually, to this day— she loves cuddling with me, and she meows a lot for me after I get out of the shower so I can pet her etc.
    I guess my point is that theirs so many ways to get your pet to warm up to you. But each pet is so complex that you can’t just limit a person to how they should approach their own pet.

2. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Peanutbutter, giggidy. :blobpeek:

Mr gentleman and 2eXo4 like this.
  3. whitenight2013

whitenight2013 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My dog was terrified of men. Literally pissed himself whenever a guy he didn't know tried to pet him, even after he got used to me. I just ignored him for a week. I did the necessities of course. Gave him food and water while also letting him run around outside, but otherwise, I did not approach him. Eventually after a week or so, he became curious enough to approach me on his own. I laid down, let him smell my hand lying on the floor, and he just stopped peeing himself whenever I got close.

Baldingere, Lissi, imK and 2 others like this.
  4. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah yes, cats usually cook their fish first before eating.

5. 2eXo4

2eXo4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahahah I think if you feed your cats too much tuna it’ll give them mercury poisoning

imK likes this.
  6. Stephanie1399

Stephanie1399 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My dog was so abused by his previous owner that he wouldn't make any noise because he was afraid to be hit. He also had no idea how to play. The first week i had him nothing seemed to help, so I took him with me to my parents house and let him see how their dogs would bark and play and cuddle without being reprimanded and after a couple of days of staying there with him he realized it was ok to do those things and joined in. I added his picture in the attached file.

Attached Files:

Baldingere, Lissi, imK and 1 other person like this.
  7. 2eXo4

2eXo4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Your doggo is so cute; maybe my cat was abused cus she was like this too but unfortunately I didn’t have any friends or any other cats to introduce her to. I’m glad ur doggo is doing better :blobmelt:

Lissi, imK and Stephanie1399 like this.
  8. Rilise

Rilise Aestivating

Reading List:
    Link
    1 word, ignore. Works 3 times with the strays for me.
    Give them food then leave them alone. Continue for 1 or 2 weeks, then slowly stayed for a bit when u give them food but don't look or try to caress. When they're calm enough in your presence then u can try touching them.
    They'll look for u when u ignore them (in my case, partly jealous since I spoiled my baby kitties)

The cats in my place are mostly strays that stayed by themselves, except the 2 baby kitties that were abandoned and brought home by dad. (There should be 4, but one was gone before being brought home and the other died when they were 2 months short of a year old. They're a year old now.)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
    WorthierSky8 likes this.
  9. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The fosters that I've watched on YT's The Dodo channel, depicts how they put the cat(s) involved in a closed environment for several days to weeks (usually in a bathroom for the obvious reasons), let them decompress for a day or two before trying to approach them. Feed, watch & talk w/ them, but no touch unless they (the cat(s)) approach first
    Just go & try watching some of them on YT or FB
    Extra notes, sometime those fosters need a "helping paws" to show them that your home is a safe place: if you have another pet(s), let them interact first through the closed doors, introduce them through smell (rugs or something that got their smell), just don't forget to lock the door until you're sure they've properly introduced

Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
  10. Harry

Harry Now you see me

Reading List:
    Link
    If you want close to your pet, don't feed your pet for a day or 2 (let your pet starve or let it find food by themself) and after that feed it, the pet will remember you as the savior, the holder of delicious food and the pseudo mother

11. 2eXo4

2eXo4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean for my cat their was no way I was going to keep myself on the sidelines due to her being so skinny and just pure bone and skin. I just feed her like the second day she was introduced into my home. I feel like their should be a limit in where a person should sit on the side for their pets.

12. Obserwator

Obserwator [Gamer of Life] [Naturalist] [Universalist]

Reading List:
    Link
    Talking to them, showing them strict bounders, rewording them for cooperation.