Discussion How many games do you regret purchasing?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Shiki, Apr 14, 2022.

1. Shiki

Shiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A lot of my game is not played at all, due to being bundled, as well as buying them all during a discount. My recent purchase is Code Vein, and I feel like I will regret this one because I've played dark souls 1 before, and it took me a lot of time to perfect my mechanics. The people in jrpg forum recommend this one to buy, so I just buy it. And honestly? It's fun. But the dreaded time consuming part of the game is too much. I'm afraid it will be another title that I can't complete due to losing interest in it.

How many games do you regret in purchasing it? Why do you regret it? Even then, do you still play those games, at least until completion?

Silver Snake likes this.
  2. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    Pirating is an option, always

joey183, Easteller, Dwarkin and 11 others like this.
  3. whitenight2013

whitenight2013 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't normally regret buying a game too often. I always have that mentality that even if I haven't finished a game yet, I might someday. Although there is a good argument that I should stop buying games day one in there. I think the only game I really regret buying is Brilliant Diamond. It felt like I was being insulted somehow.

ANonMouse and Shiki like this.
  4. AkaNoOu

AkaNoOu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dosent code vein have coop?
    I usually buy games im interested in at deep discounts anyway. Im willing to wait years til that 70% discount drops…

Sabruness, Shiki and Geor like this.
  5. simak

simak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They are Billions, couldn't find the enemy attacking my base on the map, quit after getting my based zombified by one infiltrator that did show up on the overall map.
    A shovel ware CD back in the days when I was really broke. (Yes I am that close to being a boomer)
    A goblin RtS the on PS2. RTS and consoles don't really mix, Grim Grimoire was an exception and that was borderline.
    Ara Falls: open world is not as excuse to have one path and the vaguest of clues. So much potentail, but couldn't deal with the lack of clues to complete quests.
    Don't quite regret AC4: for answer, yet, but I did by a used PS3 just to play it, but haven't really gotten into it. May try watching some playthroughs. Loved Armored Core: Last Raven and really enjoyed Nexus and AC3, so decided to check out the next one.

Shiki likes this.
  6. Milanin

Milanin [Reader] [???] [Freeloader]

Reading List:
    Link
    Brawl chess for the Switch. Even with the discount.
    I expected something epic since it had stylized units for chess pieces. I expected at least some kind of animation for taking pieces.
    Nope.
    It's reskinned with two "avatars" for the races... And that's what she wrote.
    No custom race skins, no battle animations. Just, chess with less empty space on the side of the square board.

Shiki likes this.
  7. kgggdkp2012

kgggdkp2012 Void ReapeR(8th grade syndrome patient)

Reading List:
    Link
    Only game i regret purchasing is Sniper 3. Damn i couldn't get my refund from steam.

Shiki likes this.
  8. Geor

Geor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wish I could give that more likes lol. That said none.

Shiki likes this.
  9. slarbi

slarbi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    back in the 360 days i won a 100$ gift card for it and like the 13 year old I was I blew it on some games but the games I bought I never touched or even liked I didn't look at reviews or anything I played them for at most an hour and stopped and one of them I remember was cs:go
    saw people playing it on ps on videos and thought it was cool looking back almost a decade later i cringe so much whenever i think about it

Shiki likes this.
  10. Geor

Geor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I do that too, watch Steam on the holidays, that's when you catch the best deals (got the full bundle for both borderlands 3 and Dark Souls 3 for like 25$ together that way (heck there might have even been like 3 other games in that price I'd need to check the receipt but I definitely got more then just those two games at the time)

Shiki likes this.
  11. Viator

Viator [Cult of Pyoo: Pyoo's Oak Tree]

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm the same. Most games just sit and collect dust, and I wonder why I even buy them. Then I get sucked in and buy another. Most games I've played half-way through then just lost interest along the way.

Shiki likes this.
  12. Shiki

Shiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yep. it's something that is available. I'm rather risk averse though, as I only have this one machine as my work machine right now. It's not like the old days where I don't have any problem if my data is wiped out.
    Yes. they do. As a single player gamer though, I don't really utilize co-op contents. A cheater like me is not worthy to play co-op with others.

It's the curse of discounts that make me impulsively buy this game... orz. Even though I recently buy FO4, and regret that purchase (I found out that I don't really like shooter games), my wallet still have some money from my gaming budget, and I spend it there.

13. lavendidi

lavendidi First of Her Name, Lover of Cliches

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok so I don't really purchase games BUT I spend a lot on those 'free to install-pay to enjoy more' ones. For me, I don't really regret playing them and the time I've wasted on it despite me not playing it now, but I do miss the money I had when I didn't spend on it lmao. I mean, I do still spend on the game I'm currently addicted to right now even though I know this won't be for the long term (heck, I even schedule payments on my calendar for it lol), but still. I don't really enjoy spending money outside and am currently contented with what I have right now, so it's all good.

Shiki likes this.
  14. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, you could try on a vm first, and torrenting seems more or less safe

Shiki likes this.
  15. Shiki

Shiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah. GPU passthrough is a hassle. Getting second monitor is more pricey compared to buy a game. Besides, if your laptop is MUXless, can you do gpu passthrough to your own laptop monitor?

16. unlucky

unlucky Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think I ever regretted buying a game in that sense, even in bundles I only redeem keys for games that I want and giveaway the rest, but I had a couple of times where I would buy a game at a discount and a couple weeks/months later a sale would happen where it would be priced at an even larger discount and I would end up kinda butthurt over it. XD

Sabruness, ANonMouse and Shiki like this.
  17. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't regret things I bought on sale I haven't dedicated myself to playing yet because I'll eventually get to them. I regret some games I bought like Homefront because they were utter shit (that game taught me not to pre-order). I regret buyiing dead space 3 because my origin account was hacked by a russian when I wasn't using it so I lost that $60 effectively (I played a bit and was saving it for later). Because there was no steam for the game at the time, despite having the physical disk, I couldn't play....

I'm almost regretting buying the switch atm : I was only interested in Pokemon, Zelda, and Fire Emblem in terms of their 1st party games, and pokemon disappointed me to the point where I dropped the series (and I've played and owned every mainline pokemon game since the very beginning) and I wasn't a fan of open world BOTW zelda and it seems they're sticking to that formula for the lifespan of the switch. A TON of switch games that aren't 1st party came to PC (and this is being normalized nowadays it seems), so the only thing keeping my switch relevent (since I have preorder for steam deck) is fire emblem. And switch sales for their 1st party games still suck donkey balls.

Shiki likes this.
  18. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't regret any of my purchases tbh, even for games I haven't played yet.

I dunno, it's fine if I don't finish a game or even not play it. I wanted to buy it and I bought it. That alone is plenty to me... The fact I was able to buy it when I bought is already enough to make me not regret it. I wouldn't have bought it if I couldn't, after all~

At the end of the day, spending money on gaming is essentially a "waste", as it is just entertainment... I won't regret spending money on my entertainment... If I didn't get as much entertainment out of it as I originally thought I would... That's fine. It happens. There are always more games to play~

Sabruness and Shiki like this.
  19. phobos

phobos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    gothic 3 - just too buggy to be enjoyed

and the community fixes that made it playable took 1-2 years only upside i got it in a sale and saved about 50% that way whats rather rare around the releasedate

spending money on sw the old republic that game didnt bound me for long and got rather fast f2p what turned my ~ 60 $ for the game and another 60$ for gametime cards rather a big waste (still have one unused sitting on my shelf waiting for a opportunity to be used that might never come )

another waste was a dlc/addon for age of conan as i bought it but are not allowed to use it after the game went f2p so i must got VIP or buy it again - no thx

other games would rather be a waste of time than a waste of money

Shiki likes this.
  20. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
    Free console games. They all suck. :mad: But I’ve been good about buying only stuff I really want. :D

davidbrown and Shiki like this.