Discussion Am I dumb???

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Spoof, Apr 15, 2022.

1. Spoof

Spoof Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m seriously starting to question myself after stepping out of programming. I feel so dumb and I’m afraid it might show towards my peers. I mean, my school life is normal and all but I’m seen as one of the good/smart kids and that’s a good thing to me. So naturally like the good little kid I am I would want to keep it up, right? Right? Yes! But DANG, after I walked out of that class I was feeling parched from all that exercise my brain was doing. And here’s the thing, APPARENTLY the work we’re doing is easy and I’m still struggling all by myself(probably). My teacher just uploads some work for us and sits down for the remainder of the class occasionally checking on his 3D printer while drinking these big jugs of water. And I have asked for help but ,my god, he has to be the worst explainer in the world and I’m one of the those people who cares/ has guardians who care about their grades so I’m most definitely listening and asking questions but nothings working. Ugghhhhhh…! Just the thought of getting anything below a b(they don’t even like b’s, I literally showed them my grades with all a’s and one b and just from the look on their face I could tell they weren’t happy…)makes me want to pee myself and cry(?). Although a little weird that’s how I feel, I know I can’t be the only one whose confused like,bro, what the heck is Java, python or hmlt(?). Like I know it’s a programming language but the stuff he gave us doesn’t even explain what we’re using, that or I’m just have the hugest, nastiest dirty bubble of a brain fart. I’m gonna go explode now.

*cue late night crying sesh*

2. TheLastAeon

TheLastAeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well programming is not equal to programming language. Usually people become confused because they can't separated language and logic. In programming what you will build is logic, and the means to do that is the language. My advice is try to read pseudo code first, then learn those language syntax.

Actually programming is not that. Good luck. :blobwink:

asriu, Spoof, NirvEND and 1 other person like this.
  3. GlueGod

GlueGod Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ur not dumb - this happens to all of us too. The uber smart programmers have a direct interest in the language itself whereas people like us are more interested in how its used for something else. Once u get a job u'll realise that programming isn't about the convoluted assignments that ur prof has assigned you but how u can use it practically. Try finding smth fun to use java or python in - I'm coding random bots for discord or joining game design events for fun so I can just brush up my practical knowledge of the languages rather than finding out the best possible runtime for iterating over 5 diff type of lists or where the different memory locations are for different type of objects. It's kinda like how u only use 10% of ur knowledge from highschool for college and then in the future u'll use 10% of college for your job. Do something on the side! Also forget about the grades for now - just relax - enjoy - and try memorising what you need for exams - get through that and u're future will be fine!

Roserosa1610, Spoof and Baldingere like this.
  4. Lois.

Lois. ❲.❳ Wooosh.

Reading List:
    Link
    You're not dumb but are rather overthinking things and making your own assumptions about what might or might not happen. If you can do something about your lack then do something about it, complaining without action won't be met with a change. Try learning stuff via
    videos or read articles/ books about it and comprehend it properly : through actual practice of what you've learned or some other way that works for u. Just dont devalue urself :>>.

5. daisukenowaifu

daisukenowaifu has Has

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe you should take it slow and start out by learning the basics of algorithms, data structures and OOP. Like, that's the logic part. And then you might consider learning the languages themselves, because generally all languages are the same, just the syntax differs. Logic is what matters when it comes to programming.

That teacher seems like no help, so maybe try asking your classmates? As always, the internet would be of immense help.

Take care. You are doing fine. It's always better to be in an environment that encourages you to grow more, don't you think?

6. Obserwator

Obserwator [Gamer of Life] [Naturalist] [Universalist]

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry but no one is dumb compared to politicians...

7. Juhee95

Juhee95 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A few months ago I attended the my first class of programming after missing two lectures. Same was the case with my friend, who is a genius in maths. So we were sitting side by side at the back and I felt like a dumbest person on earth. Words of the teacher were going through my ears but not the brain, and the teacher was like "it is done like this..." without explaining in super ultra speed and told us to make a program in three minutes or so...I am a seen as one of the 3 top students of our class...I tried my best to catch her words. Suddenly suddenly she started picking only those poor students who appeared as dumb just like me and asked questions. She then deducted marks, also asked me and my friend to answer and insulted us in front of a handsome teacher:blobdrool:
    P.S : She was shouting, was arrogant and rude.

Will I ever be able improve in programming? But One thing that I know for sure is that I won't ever be able to forget that day.

Roserosa1610 and Grandpa_World like this.
  8. Grandpa_World

Grandpa_World Manly Man-Mob Character C-Lovely Hubby of Alexcia

Reading List:
    Link
    Like 95% of people are dumb, don't worry. We are the majority. Most things simply rely on experience and training. Also there is a difference in programming something and the stuff you do at lessons -> optimizing and trying to implement complex concepts just for the sake of it...

That made me smile:blobsmilehappy: Is it important to impress that teacher?

Spoof and Juhee95 like this.
  9. NirvEND

NirvEND That time my NUFfamily started a cult&caused chaos

Reading List:
    Link
    Back in HS when I was taking some programming classes I found that asking around helped most. There isn't always one exact way to do something (depending on the lesson). I think if you have the guts to ask the teacher asking other students who are doing well is worth a shot. They can explain things in a separate way and may show you how they went about figuring things out since it's fresher for them too.

I was given a pass in the class by the teacher back then since I spent most of the class showing people how different parts worked. That and bypassing the captured desktop to play games (who doesn't do this in school?) I found after a while each of the people around me I helped started to deviate in some ways of how they looked at and went about implementing different ways of doing things.

Entirely side note: Youtube has a ton of people who teach basic to advance concepts on a lot of things and not all do it well but there are so many. You are bound to find someone out there who explains things in a way that clicks, building things up block by block.

I learned coding through... butchering a working codebase lol I was made GM for a private server for an MMO back then. Digging through the game files I learned what did what, how things were called and linked, what made something act a certain way. Just by butchering parts from one file to another. Eventually I just KNEW what a part did and why it did it so I no longer needed to butcher and sew things together. I don't suggest this as... Finding something you are passionate about AND in a format relevant to your classes is a shot in the dark. Lol I was just fortunate back then~

Spoof likes this.
  10. Spoof

Spoof Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Still confused but I feel better. Thanks for your wonderful help! I’m gonna go become a child prodigy now

11. Mount Tai Unleashed

Mount Tai Unleashed This one has tai but can't see mount eyes

Reading List:
    Link
    Did you invest some stat points into your intelligence?

Spoof likes this.
  12. BB_Tensei

BB_Tensei [Crystal Operator][Jack of all Trades]

Reading List:
    Link
    Machine learning makes me feel dumb too, dw.

13. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    if that teacher give lil to no explanation about the language used such as your question what is java, phyton, html and such imo that mean your teacher suck. iirc during introduction when this cat on HS they teach the basic term, such as what is what, lil bit history, the logic then introduction toward some programming languages~ such as DOS system, pascal, lil bit java? then theory of C...

oh well rather than dumb this cat feel you get wrong teacher~ anyway these day you can search online for basic explanation with your own pace~
    ah my teacher once said the programming language is to build interaction between human cuz well the one who will maintenance it is human
    the teacher start by asked a question, how you cross a road?
    programming is build logic to how cross the road~ check surrounding, is there any traffic light, bla bla bla all clear go cross the road... but never mind~ the programming language is how you explain to other how you cross the road~

they are good teacher~

Spoof and Juhee95 like this.
  14. Juhee95

Reading List:
    Link
    Now I realize that it should not be important to me:blob_grin:
    But about the other arrogant teacher who finds it nuisance when ever someone asks a question?

Grandpa_World likes this.
  15. Grandpa_World

Grandpa_World Manly Man-Mob Character C-Lovely Hubby of Alexcia

Reading List:
    Link
    She sounds like a bitch. If she does not like getting asked questions, make sure to ask as much as possible.

Juhee95 likes this.
  16. Juhee95

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh I feel a lot better now:blobsmilehappyeyes:
    Thanks Grandpa_World :blobangel:

Grandpa_World likes this.
  17. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    It sorta relates if you're good at math and problem solving. If you don't like puzzles(I don't) then that skill atrophies a bit so you're wrecking your brain on programming problems. It can be excercised of course. Still I was an average programmer even if I don't like puzzles, no problem with the learning material except for mid+ algorithms.
    If you're a girl, maybe you were discouraged from math and "boy" interests since you were a child.
    There are hundreds of tutorials, books and courses on Java alone, a lot of them are free and explained for total noobs.
    For example
    You've got a bunch of free youtube courses or on some random website if you just google tutorials. Udemy has paid video courses, like 10$ a 60h course and you can torrent some of these ones.
    I've got books I can PM you or tell you where to download any books for free, or you can pay for some bundle on a discount.
    HeadFirstJava 2nd Edition is very good and one of the fun books as in it's not just dry text, there are amusing examples and practices.
    Java a Beginner's Guide 8th edition by Shildt is perhaps a bit more detailed book, also very good though not as fun. (maybe a new edition is out now, though these books age well and everything written in them still works)
    This is 99% you need to know about HTML and it only takes ~2h to finish it(it's been a while but I know it's a short tutorial).
    https://www.w3schools.com/html/
    If your texbooks or whatever materials/links school gives you suck, I would suggest getting a proper programming book/videos and just go trough the same topics as your school requires. That way you don't have to go trough the whole book if you aren't interested.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
    Spoof likes this.