Question What are your preferences in the Romance genre?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Has, Apr 18, 2022.

?

^

1. Harem

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 1v1 & harem

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 1v1 & reverse harem

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  4. Reverse harem

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  5. 1v1

13 vote(s)
    76.5%
  6. Dating from the beginning

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  7. Slow burn

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  8. FMC

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  9. MMC

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Has

Has my wife is my life

Reading List:
    Link
    I personally like 1v1 but at the same time I like to have a lot of fishes in the FMC tank, also I prefer to read only female protagonist romance (I very rarely read bl sorry guys). Almost forgot but I like a lot of yearning and don't like when the cp is already together from the start, I like my dog food slowly cooked thank you.

ragingphoenix likes this.
  2. Celebration

Celebration Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    prefer 1v1. I don't like harems in general. Don't like love squares/triangles etc etc. I hate it when someone gets lopsidedly crushed or everyone just happens to like the same person. Very unrealistic, no matter how talented you are. Their are exceptions, cause some harems and reverse harems are really well written, but it can't be the focus of the story. My protag can be female or male, it can be a bl or BG, sorry but most Yuri's suck ass, I have yet to read one I like. The best one I did read, which still wasn't that good, The FL used to be a man/ and it's kind of a turn off. Like ever time you see a man change to a woman, they switch preferences, and are respectful. He/she was such a sleaze. So while I have nothing against F x F, I just feel like there is a bigger brain hole in the writers than BL, maybe cause there are more BL writers and more stories to shift through to get through trash, so there are plenty of gems while its not the same for GL. Okay ranting. But anyway, I am a good storyphile so if it's well written and I like the characters I'll read, but with romance I rather it focus on the man people involved and the plot of the story instead of side characters that are meant to make you cry or highlight the main couple.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
    Has likes this.
  3. Has

Has my wife is my life

Reading List:
    Link
    God I hate gender bender, sorry to ppl who like it but i hate it with passion

4. Celebration

Celebration Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Same but there are always exceptions. Reborn as My Love Rival’s Wife was super good, highly recommend. The only one that I can remember and can reread. (read it twice already). If all gender benders were done that well, I could change my opinion about them. Super funny.

Has likes this.
  5. ragingphoenix

ragingphoenix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yaoi/BL/danmei overall is a genre that has been going strong for decades. The genre is definitely way more mainstream than yuri/GL/baihe, so yeah, it seems there are a lot more stories to choose from.

The yuri recommendations I've seen in the past seem 1) extremely angsty and 2) tend to have one of them cross-dressing to fill a male role due to societal pressure, for extra angst. And I'm just not that into angsty stories.

Theoretically what I'd be interested in reading is a baihe novel set in a palace intrigue setting where neither of them like the husband and ally together, but I've never seen a novel like that.

I prefer to read stories with FLs overall, and if I read novels with MLs they're shonen or seinen where the romance, if applicable, is mostly background noise. I prefer adventure and intrigue stories. There are a lot of trash romance novels, especially ones with FLs where the love interest is a big cheat button with no personality. I guess a lot of the stories I end up reading and really enjoying are ones where the love interests are off on their own adventure 80% of the time. So, seconding, "I like my dog food cooked slowly."

Celebration and Has like this.
  6. passerbyfujofromspace

passerbyfujofromspace “ice pop.”

Reading List:
    Link
    As much as I don't really like harem I do read a bit of reverse harem (just coz the female lead's fishes are handsome) tho 1v1 is always gonna be the best. (I don't really like misunderstandings and love triangle that much coz sometimes this kind of plots are heavy for me at least since my taste are relatively light and what u would call idealistic preferably for a highschool girl lol)

Has likes this.
  7. ShadowAscetic

ShadowAscetic Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like 1v1, 1v2, poly, bi-poly (?), or anything except love triangle. Rather than having love rivals might as well date them all. Oh also white moonlight substitute trope sucks but if the substitute date the protagonist's white moonlight that's ok

passerbyfujofromspace and Has like this.
  8. Has

Has my wife is my life

Reading List:
    Link
    Oof I also don't like misunderstandings.
    You know what queen/king/non binary monarch? You're right. I see and respect your vision.

It doessssssss, I personally don't like plots where the fl reminds the love interest of someone else like???? Who do you like bro? Be honest with me for a second