Coping Mechanism

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Hiraga, Apr 18, 2022.

1. Hiraga

Hiraga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes when things gets rough I tend to forgot how to cope properly. Even if I do most of it are unhealthy. :(:) So I'm curious, how do you guys cope when reading is not enough to help you deal with stress?:sick::ROFLMAO:o_O

NirvEND and Shizukani like this.
  2. Kurotsubaki

Kurotsubaki Reincarnation of the Seven Deadly Sins

Reading List:
    Link
    Forget it, sleep it of, and last but not least, finish all your current tasks and repeat. If those aren't enough, surrender yourself to God. Becuase God won't help you if you didn't even help yourself. That's why i write it separately from the list.

You've done your very best at least. Relax with that on your mind

3. simak

simak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Get outside, move my body. The worst feeling is when I feel I like I am stuck, so moving my body and getting some air, and tiring myself out helps me to refocus. It's a healthy habit if you don't live in an urban war zone.

When my mind is a bit clearer, I turn to Stoicism. I listen to podcasts by Aaron Clarey and other people with the message to stay focused on my own purpose while working. I find music as a reminder of beauty.

And I face my problems. I list them out, see which ones can be deferred, which ones I can get help on, which ones I can break down into subtasks, research to clarify. I keep in mind that I control what I can control, adapt to what I can't, and learn for the future. The manure we deal with now is fertilizer for the future, don't drown in it, tread if you have to.

Baldingere and Hiraga like this.
  4. Tsubaki -

Tsubaki - Unknown Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If things get rough, I also have a hard time coping. I like to change locations, like going for a walk or lying in the sun, to calm down and give my brain time to think. If I have a hard time doing certain tasks, I try to split them into 2min tasks. Because sth that can be completed in 2min isn't worth worrying about.
    For example, writing an application: turn on PC, open word, look up company website, copy-paste address, change wording... This seems like a long list, but each step takes less than two min.
    Edit: of course I have to take the time to look through everything later, but it does help getting me started.

simak and Hiraga like this.
  5. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    I sleep. If that's not enough, I sleep some more, to the point where I'll go 2 days or more without eating. Though I do wake up in between sleeps, but only ever to go to the bathroom, drink water, or browse the internet.

As for my problems, I'd reach such a horrid state of mind and body that fixing my problems would be a way to cope with my degenerative state. Though, I can count on one hand the amount of times this has happened.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
  6. sjoohhhy09

sjoohhhy09 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Cry, let it all out, sleep, take a walk, play with my dog, find peace and once i feel better I face my problems and solve what i can for the time being

NirvEND likes this.
  7. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I cry a lot, talk to my psychologists, give myself time and... Well, mostly that. It works to some extent.

Baldingere and NirvEND like this.
  8. ReaderReader

ReaderReader (◍•ᴗ•◍) [Important things must be said 2 times]

Reading List:
    Link
    I usually think about how much worse it could be , mostly times when reading won't do. Just sit there cry and don't think about anything go to sleep and wake up the next morning convincing yourself that nothing happened.

9. 1Sami

1Sami Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Holding ice is a good way for me. It's a nonharmful way to get the same feeling as more painful things so I find it a good way to remind myself I'm in control. A friend recommended it and I've found it works better than I'd have expected.

Also. White noise. And sad novels. If you read something sad when you feel down you can either sob and say it's all the novels fault or laugh at the mc and gloat over how much better your life is (really varies depending on your personality) ^ω^

10. Mr. Tired

Mr. Tired Professional Idiot

Reading List:
    Link
    I was going to list what I do when I realised the lot of 'em are not really good coping tactis. Damn.

But going for a morning jog every other day is good, I'm sure. Exercise is not only good for physical health, but also mental health. That's why people genuinely mean it when they say, "Good job for getting up today," because laying around in one spot all day feeling sorry for yourself really makes things worse, and getting up and moving around is helpful.

So of course I eat my feelings and lay in bed all day.
    My bed has a Sunken Depression Dent™️ in it.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
  11. Shizukani

Shizukani Chronically stressed

Reading List:
    Link
    *follows as reference*

I have various unhealthy coping mechanisms... :blobwoah: And I go through them alternately. :blob_coughblood:

NirvEND likes this.
  12. Mr gentleman

Mr gentleman Ok

Reading List:
    Link
    I do that:blobpopcorn:

Grandpa_World likes this.
  13. WordEater

WordEater Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yo, my compatriot. I am terrible at coping too.

Reading 'till I fall asleep. Crying works too until I'm tired, has headache and would like to sleep for a while which often stretch out 'till the next morn.

14. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    Copium my brothers

15. nadia88

nadia88 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like to watch something funny to distract myself. If i don't feel like doing that though I may just sit and try to think about my own fictional world. Ofc reading as well, but I find that when I'm really feeling like shit it just makes me feel worse; or at least most of the things I read make me feel worse.