Most absurd reason you've heard for dropping a novel?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Blossom_Honey, Apr 16, 2022.

1. Blossom_Honey

Blossom_Honey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  2. Noni606

Noni606 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My friend dropped some yaoi novel because the ml (in a side cp!) was "too tall" to her opinion.

3. whitenight2013

whitenight2013 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Gender bender in a book that had the gender bender in the title. They apparently assumed the lead would switch back genders in the first couple chapters.

AliceShiki and Overclock like this.
  4. Goblin Sleuth

Goblin Sleuth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So what was he like a sexy Hagrid?

your crush, missluna and simak like this.
  5. Overclock

Overclock Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Saw this comment recently in a review. They dropped the novel because how rich (Game currency) characters became compared to the beginning of a game novel. He was ranting how rare it was to have a few gold coins in the early game of the novel, but towards the ending/a year later mc and other people running big guilds and shops had hundreds of thousands or millions of gold coins.

6. LWolf

LWolf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've heard this guy dropping a novel because the MC is too strong and always win (it was even one of those novels where the whole point is how strong, handsome, etc. the MC is compared to everyone else (wish fulfilment))

7. astralmech

astralmech [ ✨ ~ snooze ] [ kr translator ] [ jpn native ]

Reading List:
    Link
    They didn't like the premise of the novel. Not that they read the novel and disliked how the plot was handled, but they read the summary alone and decided to announce to the world that they were "dropping" the novel because of it.

rialm, dailily, Roserosa1610 and 3 others like this.
  8. Professor Charles Francis Xavier

Professor Charles Francis Xavier Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They didn't like the premise of the novel. Not that they read the novel and disliked how the plot was handled, but they read the summary alone and decided to announce to the world that they were "dropping" the novel because of it.

Westeller likes this.
  9. Deleted member 445404

Deleted member 445404 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Same reason as the above.
    *honestly make me laugh when I see what Prof X did*
    But for some reason, sometimes being judgemental and just based on the plot then deciding to drop the novel.

10. Blossom_Honey

Blossom_Honey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    *Wheeze* that’s so absurd!

Oh I suppose I haven’t included my addition: saw this one review on isekai’d into game world novel where they were complaining about the MC saying something like ‘I’ll do it for my playable character since they asked” because apparently it made them seem like a pushover but 1)he always said it in an affectionate sort of way like you probably would if your bff asked you or something 2)all of them were reasonable requests that you normally ask a friend and 3)he’d played this game for 10 years so it’d be more unusual if he didn’t have an attachment to the characters. Idk seemed like a really stupid thing to get worked over

11. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Because the MC is "cheating" (A.K.A being flirt on) on MY waifu. (Not dating yet) . (No romance progressed even with anyone). When self insert goes too far..

12. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I once dropped a novel because it has my friend's name on it.

13. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbf, it's hard to know if those wish-fulfillment power fantasy stories will be like that from the synopsis alone.

I remember reading a novel for a while, where I kept on rooting for the enemies of the MC, to see if they'd defeat the MC this time around (especially because it was a VRMMO novel, so like... 0 stakes involved. MC could die just fine there), but... Well, MC kept on winning each and every fight no matter how stacked up the odds were against her.

At some point I just gave up because it bored me, but I read it for quite a while, hoping that the plot armor would finally run out... It never ran out.

14. ShadowAscetic

ShadowAscetic Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Last week I dropped a novel because mc choose to attend 2nd rate university to be with his gf, even though he can attend 1st rate university and he's pretty smart but he has a love brain. Idk why the author gave him identity as a top student if he's so reluctant to attend a key high school and good university just because his gf wasn't there

15. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean... It's not like university choices matter that much in the long run. Nor do grades matter much on that matter.

Not to mention that a ridiculously large number of people drop out of university after a while anyways.

So... It's not that strange? Being with someone you care for is far more important than the specific university you go for. All universities can get you into jobs.

16. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe you need to check your friend pretty often or ask the friend to read the novel, in case . . . .

17. Has

Has divorcee and veteran nuffer

Reading List:
    Link
    I once dropped a novel because I really disliked the translator's site layout, it made me so annoyed that I started disliking the novel itself lol

18. Dop2002

Dop2002 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I knew that the novel was going to have a live action adaptation, and who would play the male lead was an actor I didn't like.
    I only got to read half of the first volume.

Blossom_Honey likes this.
  19. Nistel

Nistel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1) i dropped this novel for many reasons but 1 of them was that MY waifu been "gifted" the werewolf skill .. q-q she was so good.. why did the author have to ruin her? skillslots are limited and with this skill active you cant use other skills at the same time.. so its strong in the beginning but weak in endgame .. and it was a werewolf.. hairy, tall, musclegirl waifu with a furry face .. ouch .. i had plans with her, you know?

2) saw someone dropping a novel because they called the MC's sister in the first chapter as "little loli" or smth ... it wasnt the MC saying so, just the description used by the author. That person just assumed they'd lewd her and another person replied in agreement with the person leaving the post.. bigbraintime

and this is me lol

Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
  20. Tsubaki -

Tsubaki - Unknown Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dropping a novel for controversial tropes that are warned about in the tags, reviews, and before the 1st chapter in bold red.