A Must Watch Video

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Wujigege, Apr 21, 2022.

1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
  2. Eisvarith Devirea

Eisvarith Devirea [Mza {Valkyrie Awakens} Mya]

Reading List:
    Link
    then could you please tell me your expectation good sir? if this shocked you then by all means please tell me the norms.

SwordEmpress and DrunkReader01 like this.
  3. Undying Winter

Undying Winter ❅ Avid Enjoyer of Trash ❅

Reading List:
    Link
    I find the people who sing praises to rich people—the same people who couldn't care less about them or their existence—truly weird in general. It's on-par with celebrity worship, except that rich people (who aren't artists) don't even provide any entertainment. So, what's even the point? would it make them rich themselves or something? :blob_tilt:

SwordEmpress, Baldingere and Wujigege like this.
  4. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't follow celebrities nor do I follow billionaires. those self made wealthy are one off there aren't any who can copy their method.

I am not surprised that they exploit their workers or don't pay a fair amount of taxes. The government is afraid to touch them too since most of these billionaires stick together and they own most of the politicians and they pay them to lobby for their own agenda and cutting their taxes.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
    SwordEmpress and Wujigege like this.
  5. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    This video did not shock me but seeing people worship Elon Musk shocked me.

I also find it laughable when people use spoilt brats borne with diamond spoons as their role models for a rags to riches story

SwordEmpress and Mnotia like this.
  6. Mnotia

Mnotia The Trash Man

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't like following certain celebrities. I follow artists and authors because they're way of life interests me.

I do think the dick riding of the modern age is bad though.

Wujigege likes this.
  7. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe they dont read read news or maybe they read the news that these rich people want them to read.

When we could not find information beside tv/magz/radio.
    Now, people can have phone for each to open yt even in the villages.
    But the outcome is still the same for those who cannot/donot want to hear the truth.
    Which is worse?

Wujigege likes this.
  8. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    People worship and try to marry serial killers, so some people being fans of billionaires who are associated with a product, service, or something cool they like is fairly understandable in comparison.

I kind of question his premise though, I've never thought of any of the people he mentions as rags to riches stories, and I have never seen them portrayed as that. Like Elon Musk for example, I've never heard someone call him self-made, maybe it's out there and some believe it, but I've never seen it. Just because I haven't seen it of course doesn't mean anything, but still I have to wonder if the creator is hyping it up to slay it.

I actually thought Bezo and his wife were personally fairly wealthy (as in millionaires from their jobs) before starting Amazon, seeing that they borrowed money was a bit of a surprise. I've never heard anyone call Bezo's self-made either.

Of the video the only one I've seen try to sell themselves as self-made was Trump, but even then it was always related to 'just a small loan from my dad' story that was obvious bullshit.

Wujigege likes this.
  9. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I do not follow Musk but there are many interviews of Bezos saying he just started from a 'garage' when he started with a huge fortune and still got millions pumped into the company later through connections with his father in law

SwordEmpress likes this.
  10. Vanidor

Reading List:
    Link
    I've heard the garage part, but it was always in the same story with him retiring from working at a hedge fund, so to me the garage never implied he was poor, just that stock and sales volume were low initially, and why rent a warehouse if the idea doesn't work.

I thought he had millions in the bank but didn't get a warehouse until he had sales, so him getting a loan from his parents was a surprise when it was mentioned in the video.

Wujigege likes this.
  11. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    The mainstream media is also to blame to be fair since they sell them a certain way and you need to dig for in depth information yourself

SwordEmpress likes this.
  12. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
  13. SwordEmpress

SwordEmpress Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The only thing I have ever said and will continue to say is “Money/Self-Interest Makes the World go Round” and the Marketing scheme of this century are too scary MLM Pyramid schemes, that’s why I say “Humans are very Complicated Creatures”
    Lol that sentence doesn’t even begin to define how crazy and wild this world and the people are.

And for a fact I perfer to worship (not really lol just 5 minute passion cuz there are too many) fictional characters from Books, Drama, Anime, Manga/Manhwa/Manhua more than “real people” cuz I don’t like to be disappointed and you never know.

Wujigege likes this.
  14. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    Rag to riches that are true are those singer and rappers from 70s-80s 90s that grew up in the hood or slums.
    most of those white ppl who became billionaire came from upper middle class or the rich and already had connection or had enough money to get into a good university and build connections during their time with other upper middle class or rich students who's parents had money.

it's rare to see someone who is born to low income parents become rich unless they are athletes or singers it's rare to see any of them specifically minorities become wealthy by inventing anything. even if you are a genius at pharmaceuticals and can invent some kind of cure the big US companies will make sure to shut you down or steal your invention.

Wujigege likes this.
  15. ColdKarma

ColdKarma Member

Reading List:
    Link
    anyone who has that much money must've done bad things to get it.

Wujigege likes this.
  16. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Money makes the world.

17. Elementarteilchen

Elementarteilchen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, I can add some info on the good guy Jeff. Amazon europe didn't pay any taxes in 2021 (the same as the year before). Even though they made 51 billion € in sales, they also made losses of 1.2 billion €.
    The losses are a win win situation for Bezos of course :D

Wujigege likes this.
  18. Vanidor

Reading List:
    Link
    That's not quite right, they paid property taxes, sales taxes, employee taxes, etc. just not income taxes.

The only way to solve that is to decide that companies aren't allowed to grow past a certain amount. Because most of those loses are expansion costs, like hiring people, opening new locations, opening new product categories, etc. The same benefits of a small mom and pop restaurant opening a 2nd location apply to giant multinationals growing their businesses.

So far no country has decided to limit giant companies growth because of the unemployment and economic growth implications, but someday some country will and we'll see if the tradeoffs balance in the end or lean one way or the other. I'm kind of hoping the US does it so I can watch the political chaos of that particular debate up close. I'd like it to be called the Ronald McDonalds Bill.

Wujigege likes this.
  19. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link

What do you think of this?

20. Vanidor

Reading List:
    Link
    No clue if it's true, but if it is it is not particularly surprising. The core tenet of a corporation is to make wealth and there's little morals required. I usually point to the Love Canal as an example since it was one of the first examples I saw when I was young.

The second half of the video though is mostly speculation. The subtext is the idea that without multinationals the world would be a 'utopia' isn't born out of facts. The fact is that people with power work to arrange society in a way that makes them comfortable. They were doing it before the fairly recent rise of multinationals, eg. the oil and railroad barons of the US, and they will be doing it in the future even if every multinational closed tomorrow.

The same reasoning gets used for closing NASA and other stuff. You can find memes that if you closed NASA you could cure cancer, but the idea dated back before the modern definition of meme. We could cure cancer, and feed all the starving people in the world now, it's not a lack of money, it's a lack of interest by the general populace.

The video just attempts to scapegoat it all on the rich. It's easier to see the cause and effect at local levels though. It's not the rich deciding your local government doesn't build enough homeless shelters, it's the apathy of your local citizens and the unwillingness of home owners/property owners to pay higher taxes for it. That scales up all the way through societies.

Wujigege likes this.