Discussion Prologues

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Emissary Nouvelle, Apr 24, 2022.

1. Emissary Nouvelle

Emissary Nouvelle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Anyone likes reading them?

I usually prefer to skip 9/10 times.

Most are a kind of info dump, I rather just start with something interesting like most where they do that and include some world building info in the second half or next chapter.

Starting with a prologue is kind of burdensome for me mentally sometimes. Othertimes I read them.

2. Slief

Slief Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I skim through it and if I notice that it has anything to do with the story then I read it, otherwise I just skip it.

Sometimes some authors make their prologues Hella wordie and they got nothing to do with the story trying to make it sound all mysterious and stuff idk why.

3. slarbi

slarbi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    some are important like Martial World but yea just word stuff sometimes and used to build tension

4. rhianirory

rhianirory Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it depends on the story.
    i.e. in Korean monsterpocalypse second chance stories 9/10 times the prologue is just copied from earlier stories with minor changes that always ends with the MC death and triggers him being sent back to the start.

Shio likes this.
  5. aShinyVaporeon

aShinyVaporeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I generally prefer reading them, because it's probably there for a reason if the author put them there, just like the first chapter. If it's too boring I'll skim over it just I do with any chapter.

AliceShiki likes this.
  6. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    A prologue is supposed to be a teaser to get the reader interested/invested in the story quickly. If it sucks, the story will probably be poorly written anyway...

AliceShiki likes this.
  7. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why wouldn't reading them? A prologue is as much a part of a book as any other, so if the book is worth reading wouldn't it be obvious to read it? Is this like skipping dialogue because it doesn't have any action?

Nimroth and AliceShiki like this.
  8. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    a prologue is a bait~ a good bait can hook a curious cat~ so yeAh read if it have any..... btw for webnovel there mostly chapter one .... lul but there also chapter title as prologue still don't expect much from webnovel cuz most of webnovel is fast food or trash or meh story~

9. vithc

vithc eternity's nerd

Reading List:
    Link
    I usually prefer to go in blind so I'd just skip/skim through them. It helps lower my expectations a bit. Unless it's interesting enough ig ヽ(´ー`)┌

10. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    If the prologue is an infodump, then the author messed up as I'll forget that infodumbp in 5 minutes anyways.

A good prologue will have something to hook me and already feel meaningful to the story.

I always read the prologues... If I dislike them, it's probably just a sign that I'll dislike the story as a whole.

Nimroth likes this.