Horrible Translators abusing features

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Mnotia, Apr 27, 2022.

1. Mnotia

Mnotia The Trash Man

Reading List:
    Link
    I dont know who started it first but I am seeing more and more translators upload novels and "forgetting to add tags".

IE Example A. Just so happened that no harem tag was added until after chapter 6 or 7.

Why are they doing this?

I think it's because they know what type of audience they will gather if someone sees a story like Example A without a harem.

It's disgusting and its really starting to piss me the fuck off.

If youre a translator that's doing this; sincerely FUCK YOU.

Rumby likes this.
  2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    With a somewhat ill-defined trope like harem which might set in at a late point in the novel, I'm willing to extend benefit of the doubt to the translator, but not the same magnanimity when it happens with the BL genre stories, which I have had often enough slip through my filters before they were set right.

Leo William, Mnotia and Vanidor like this.
  3. Molen

Molen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    there are other posibilities of why this happens:
    1. the translator read the novel as they translate it, or they havent read part of the story where that tag appear, which means they might not know about the tag before
    2. the tag appears recently when the author updated the story, this happened after the translator already translated and post the translation into NU

btw, you can actually predict that the story will become a harem by reading the title. Your example has "girls" instead of "girl" after all, there are several girls mentioned in the synopsis too

Leo William and Mnotia like this.
  4. Tsubaki -

Tsubaki - Unknown Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree, this might've happened because the translator translates as they read. It's really importantly to add tags that could be a no-go for readers! Especially if it's harem, which is a tag/genre that can make or break a story depending on the reader.
    (But even if you add tags and warnings to your translations, there'll always be readers that don't notice them.)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
    Leo William and Rumby like this.
  5. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    Name drop or are you afraid of that translator.

Given the fact that someone already gave possible conclusions. Why not tag the translator or group here and have them a say to this.

6. Ricelord

Ricelord Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Since this is a translation site taking content from other places, shouldn't the tags be on the original novel as well? The translator most likely has the resources needed to add the necessary genres and tags, unless it's something like EER and the author decided to/was pressured to change the genre.
    Ps. Trash taste bro

7. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm just saying this here since people might forget it.

Novel Updates depends on its community for the content it has. This not only covers the adding series, novels and pages but addinn details such as authors, status and tags. Some of the novels on NU aren't even added by the translators but by the readers.

Those tags aren't just translators' responsibility but the readers' and the community that are on NU. However, the mindset nowadays is that someone else will do it instead. Some of the members on NU even thought they don't have the privilege to edit things when it's already there on the page indicating you're able to edit them. Again we return to the mindset that someone else will do it even if you don't. So we may have threads like this.

.....NU was never a translation site.

Leo William, Vanidor, Mnotia and 3 others like this.
  8. Ricelord

Ricelord Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry. A directory for translated novels.

Leo William and LaDyViL like this.
  9. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    As a translator, I mostly have no idea what tags to put down when I make a new page. Just leave it to some other readers and correct it later on if there's an issue. Harem usually gets tagged on syosetu though so that one's pretty easy to catch.

10. Mnotia

Mnotia The Trash Man

Reading List:
    Link
    no idea what they're user name is