Discussion Your opinion on Incest but not Incest

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by KindapitiedMielle, Apr 30, 2022.

1. KindapitiedMielle

KindapitiedMielle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, I see people very giddy and alright with stories where the main characters are raised as siblings but they're not “real siblings” and not blood-related so it's fine if they're a couple.

Besides it downplaying and seemingly insulting children who are adopted saying they're not “real family because they're not blood-related” it's also outright disgusting.

For example: Beware of the brothers, the villainous sister of the grand Duke, the viridiscent crown etc.

I personally cannot bear it. :blobhero:I despise the trope even. Especially because when you're raised as siblings, YOU ARE SIBLINGS :facepalm:. you call the same people parents and each other brother sister and it make some disgusted. Especially so with beware of the brothers, like Hari, if that's her name, was picked up by the Ernests (or whatever their name was) because she was the splitting image of their real daughter and Eugene's real sister and it's so disgusting to think he fell in love with his adopted sister who looks exactly like his dead sister :blobhyperthink:and that made me drop the story the second I read that spoiler. Nonetheless, I will listen to all your opinions on this whether they be positive or negative because I'm curious as to what you guys think. :blobpopcorn:

2. AbrarMalik

AbrarMalik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nice

A_G_V likes this.
  3. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    I am fine with it as long as it is fiction
    I have higher tolerance for such plots in books and manga, but if its in drama or real life, I will avoid it

4. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    While Westermarck effect might explain the whys and wherefores, thereby legitimising the revulsion against the practice, biologically and personally, I see nothing wrong with it. I do have a problem with how overused this device is, though. :hmm:

5. ImperialNero

ImperialNero Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ur thinking too much, the whole reason why incest is banned is because the health issue that comes from it

kislanyk, asriu, Mr gentleman and 6 others like this.
  6. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Inseki is blasphemy.

A_G_V and otaku31 like this.
  7. Glutton idiot

Glutton idiot Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    honestly if its fiction then im okay with it but irl? kick out ur 'sibling' and be togather but srs i cant handle those things

A_G_V and Reack like this.
  8. ru5ty

ru5ty Citizen of MILF Kingdom

Reading List:
    Link
    the only incest i like are mom and son or oneesan and brother

asriu, Mr gentleman, A_G_V and 3 others like this.
  9. Brigtter

Brigtter Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I affectionately called it "soft-incest", because it is an incest that is easier to deal with, after all it has no blood-related "it is not related / has no affectional bond".
    As you said, it's bad to think like that because it seems that families with adopted children aren't really families, after all "they're not blood-related". A stepmother or stepfather is not "mother/father" of they stepchild because she/he has not given birth to the child. Even though they've raised him since they were born.

A_G_V likes this.
  10. Tsubaki -

Tsubaki - Unknown Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In fiction, I don't mind it as much and it's not a reason for me to drop a novel. However, I dislike forcibly establishing a step-sibling relationship just because the author wanted to write an incest plot but didn't want to go all the way. It seems forced and disjointed.

11. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m in agreement with @Amaruna Myu . I feel the same way

A_G_V and KindapitiedMielle like this.
  12. vithc

vithc eternity's nerd

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd usually avoid it because I hate it lol. It also really annoys me for some reason? I can't explain it but it's uncomfy, just icky and weird-feeling

A_G_V and KindapitiedMielle like this.
  13. Marvin

Marvin The Man who realize love

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmm somebody has guilty pleasures

A_G_V likes this.
  14. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    I am basically fine with actual incest in novels bar a few specific use-cases.

timefigment and A_G_V like this.
  15. Dark Wing

Dark Wing Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    if irl it's disgusting.

A_G_V and Reack like this.
  16. seemanta

seemanta ţɦɛ ʏօʊռɢɛsţ ɮʀѧţ ɨռ ţɦɛ ɦօʊsɛ

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel uncomfortable with this trope. Especially since we mostly read it from the perspective of the one who took the other person as their sibling. It's unbelievable how they so easily accepts the other one as their lover. At most they throw a few tantrums before that while blushing. I don't mind it much if neither one saw the other one as a sibling from the start but otherwise it's very disturbing. Unless there's something that really attracts me in these novels, I avoid them most of the time.

A_G_V, KindapitiedMielle and Reack like this.
  17. ragingphoenix

ragingphoenix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, luckily it's not hard to filter things out of the release feed ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think this trope is just overdone. I'm not opposed to reading or watching about it but there's a difference between a child adopted with the purpose of becoming a family member's future wife (a cultural thing, not something I want to see in real life but something I don't mind reading about in a historical setting) or melodramatic switched at birth plots (Autumn In My Heart being a famous one), and grooming (which is just bad). I'm not sure authors always have a good grasp on the difference.

Fuyuneko, A_G_V and Reack like this.
  18. Kurotsubaki

Kurotsubaki Reincarnation of the Seven Deadly Sins

Reading List:
    Link
    It's hard to change your feelings from "siblings" to "lovers". If it happen, then i think it's because the "lovers" feels grew before the "siblings" feels.
    If you actually have sibling and grew up together, you'll know the difference.

A_G_V, seemanta and Reack like this.
  19. Galooza

Galooza The One True Walapalooza

Reading List:
    Link
    Same as what's been said. I don't care in fiction, though, there is a line to be drawn, such as Miyuki in Mahouka. Adoration is one thing, yet for whatever reason the author chose to make her freakier than the crazy girlfriend meme. No thanks.

A_G_V likes this.
  20. Senros

Senros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll be the one bringing some controversy to the thread. I don't see anything wrong with it, even if it was irl and full on incest (and to inseki/step-siblings.) Incest in small occurrences isn't thaat bad, biologically speaking. If everyone did it, though, that would destroy humanity in a few generations.

The way I see the world, you do you. So if you want to bang your sister and she wants to bang you, go for it. Most people and most animals will not do it, because they find it disgusting/unappealing/etc. but not from a moral standpoint, but from a biological standpoint. You don't rationalize it, your wiener just says: "Nah brah, we ain't getting up. Choose someone else and I might reconsider."

I dislike it when people say, "I don't like this, because it's morally wrong" without any other justification. Moral have a justification, but I'd like to see if the person knows the reason why it is wrong and not just that "it's wrong."

Going back to inseki lol, I don't think it's all that bad, but it does feel cheap. Why say on chapter 6969 that they are actually step-siblings, or one is adopted or one is actually Ditto, the pokemon, so they are twin and Ditto is just mimicking the other... it's like they wanted to make an incest story, but got scared at some point and they when with the route, "Oh, but they are no blood-related, so it's fine"... or they might have been forced to do it by their publisher.

A man of culture!
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

timefigment, asriu, A_G_V and 3 others like this.