Misunderstandings tag..

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Purple Jasmine, May 2, 2022.

?

Do you like novels with misunderstandings tag ?

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Don't like but was tempted to continue reading because of plot.

10 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. Purple Jasmine

Purple Jasmine Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Whenever I search for a novel to read,I first looks at the tags.
    ''Misunderstandings'' tag is the thing that I don't want to see the most.
    I recently read a novel called "Please Confess to Me".
    The ML was in love with FL since his childhood but when he became a CEO later, he goes to the FL house to propose a marriage in the name of business.And everyone in that business circle knew that he loves someone dearly but no one knows that it's FL actually, including FL. So, certainly they had misunderstandings after their marriage.

When I was reading this novel, I really had an urge to grab ML's collar and ask him to confess his love for her earlier.
    I wanted to stop reading but I was also tempted to continue it.

So,I have few questions for you..
    1) What's your first reaction when you see a novel with misunderstandings tag?
    2) Which novels made you have a urge to get into the novel and question the characters in it?

2. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link

1) What's your first reaction when you see a novel with misunderstandings tag?

Some of my favorite novels are “misunderstanding”. It usually involved something like a badly time confession. Than the MC goes around depress. While the FL is trying to figure out how to fix it. I especially like it when it has multiple FL. Lol

2) Which novels made you have a urge to get into the novel and question the characters in it?[/QUOTE]

Pretty much every novel. I mean really how dense can ML be. Also why would a FL be ok to be part of a Harem

Purple Jasmine likes this.
  3. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    tututu
    misunderstanding tag is good for comedy
    lemme introduce ya with two
    I'm Mistaken as Genius
    Tearmoon Empire

the former have good miss but as time pass it kinda meh~ the later is hmm really good laugh for mushrooms~ anyway romance misunderstanding sure kinda annoying but plenty of tv series back then rely on that old trope~ hiding feeling for whatever reason, been subjected into rival conspiracy (such as change message or chat or mail when it delivered), involved on conspiracy secret so act on opposite hmm you know the trope leave lover if ya wanna they survive stuff, tsundere then the dense blackhole~

such stuff with good execution can be really emotional journey with anger, tense, sad bunch if other~ you see when almost clear up something urgent just cut it.. or dead come~ now now there also stuff that feel like cheap device to prolong unnecessary story tho~

Amaruna Myu and Purple Jasmine like this.
  4. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    misunderstandings in relationships (which involves improper communicstion and white moonlights) are the stupidest things but misunderstandings about common sense in life (like tearmoon empire) can be comedic

ChiliJam, Iruma666, Bad Storm and 4 others like this.
  5. Raebit

Raebit Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For first question

Depend on the plot, and how they use the misunderstanding.
    I prefer light and funny like tearmoon empire , handa-kun
    With that type of summary , my reaction is immediately read it.

But with summary and 1000++ chapter of misunderstanding, running with ball all those sadomaso romance , I will ignore or hide it from my NU list

6. Nikko Anderson

Nikko Anderson The Second Apprentice of The Fourth Librarian

Reading List:
    Link
    If it's romance, nope. But fantasy type misunderstanding stories usually fun read.

Iruma666 and Purple Jasmine like this.
  7. armad224

armad224 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1.I hate romance misunderstandings
    but all the other misunderstandings are great
    like -explain my plan to me, Demiurge!-cough<overlord>cough , -being strong but everyone else think your weak- <onepunch man> , -being weak but everyone think your strong <a very long list:not a cultivator-nice comedic novel > , ,being evil but everyone think your good: the evil lord of an intergalactic empire, My Young Lord Is Really Righteous,,,,,,,,, etc , being good but everyone think your evil <Angel Densetsu,Waratte! Sotomura-San>
    I hate romance in general since I've seen all the plots out there and with nothing new or different coming any soon I think that reading any novel would be useless ,unless it's that tragic korean novel with 3100 chapters where the fl have a harem of over 30 male leads where it turned from tragedy into comedy just from the shear number of male leads and how there is a dedicated chapter to what each one thinks about the fl

Purple Jasmine, Iruma666 and Efu-sama like this.
  8. Efu-sama

Efu-sama Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    sadly the tags in NU are mostly: EXAGGERATED, or used in a different context than the general meaning.
    For example, this misunderstanding tag, first of, there are a lot of kinds of misunderstanding, comedic, dogblood/dramatic, or just simply due to different exposure of information.
    Even the scale of misunderstanding itself varies, from just a simple one to a heavily misunderstanding galore.
    Another exaggerated tag is with Genius Protagonist, Clever Protagonist, Calm Protagonist, I see almost all novels have that kind of tag unless the protagonist is extremely dumb.
    While like many others, I despise DRAMATIC SAD MISUNDERSTANDING, sometimes looking at the tags won't tell me what kind of misunderstanding it is directly. So I still have to read summaries, read reviews, and read several chapters.

In conclusion, major tags in genre help a lot, whereas the additional tags are just auxiliary help.
    They somehow help, but still have to screen it properly

Raebit, armad224 and Purple Jasmine like this.
  9. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Misunderstanding for comedy and asa plot point? Good. Misunderstanding in romance? Bad anda fucking lowball.

10. vithc

vithc eternity's nerd

Reading List:
    Link
    1) I'm a sucker for comedies/fantasy with those. It's usually really silly and fun. But for romance, it tends to just suck, so I'd avoid them. Especially when it's the main plot line. Makes me want to punch the characters out to oblivion o.o

2) Any harem or novel that I've read with a stupidly dense protagonist and/or softie fl. Like can you just not--

11. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Misunderstanding as a way to generate drama stinks. This kind of conflict feels frustrating because it's artificial and there's no sense or realness or stakes attached to it. Properly crafted drama has to be meaningful and come from the characters' personalities and heartfelt needs and goals.

On the other hand, using misunderstanding to generate comedy is great! Comedy doesn't operate by the same rules as drama so it can get away with this. Or rather, comedy is often built up from the differences between what the different characters know and what the reader knows. Misunderstanding helps this a lot, and it's one of the reasons why misunderstanding comedies can be fairly good; even when the writer isn't all that great.

Overall, going by tags by themselves isn't all that useful. To begin with, they're user-applied so their accuracy can often be questionable. And in this particular case, "Misunderstanding" actually means completely different things.

12. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Misunderstanding for comedy is fun. "Gamers!" is a great example of misunderstanding for comedy.

13. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    nah it depend on the source of misunderstand, best example is reason for separation on relationship~ this sound cliche abandon lover because of terminal ill or sterile so can't have children~ all about execution~ other is parents abandon their child~ imo more about the goal, is it the character can accept it or just separation~
    the realness is on execution because action reaction law~

14. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For it to be really a misunderstanding situation, the characters have to be in contact with one another. And any issues that result come from a lack of communication. The point about an abandoned child is that he usually either doesn't know who his parents are, or has no way to talk to them so I wouldn't think of this as a misunderstanding.

To be fair, it's not entirely true that all forms of dramatic misunderstanding are bad. But in order for it to be real, there has to be a very good reason why the characters can't simply talk to each other about their assumptions. There are still two problems with this though. The first is that it takes a skillful writer to successfully create such a scenario, and it's too much of a crutch for lesser writers. The other issue is that it still doesn't make for fantastic drama because conflict is strongest when it comes from something core to the characters. If it's just a matter of communication then there's just a lot less at stake. In my estimation, the best way to use misunderstanding dramatically is to use it as a catalyst for deeper conflicts. I've seen it pulled off several times, and I think it's quite effective. However, it's fair to say that these don't really function as misunderstanding situations any more.

15. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    miscommunication can also be use on the character simply cannot or ignore reasoning despite the character talk each other which tie into character trait or experience or it influence character decision~ its true it best use on make deeper conflict~ yeah it take great ability on writer to pull such move similar to make believable strategy employed on war story~

16. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't say I'm a fan of misunderstandings in fiction general, though if well crafted and done in moderation they are about as good of a writing tool as any other.
    When it is overdone it can easily kill my enjoyment of a story though, even when done for comedy since I don't personally find them any easier to get right for that than they are for drama.

Blossom_Honey and Purple Jasmine like this.
  17. comeetomama

comeetomama used to called mommy now granny

Reading List:
    Link
    in romance its is nah for me but i like it in fantasy genre. Misunderstandings in romance is so unrealistic. I read ton of them and now i can clearly say that without exception every misunderstanding romance is toxic and fake af. (I am talking about romance novels without comedy) Yoo i married u but didnt even want to talk u and we fucked but didnt talk and i loved u deeply but was so blind that didnt even see that u were unhappy? Like wtf its is impossible. I hate this type of Mls and sadly its nearly all of regressed theme mls lol.

sterotypical life of a reincarnated lady is the only romance novel with misunderstanding i would recommend. It is funny and thet resolved all the communication problems mid way through story. Perfect timing, do drag out.

18. Novel Monster

Novel Monster Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm fine with a little misunderstanding, misunderstandings give the novel a good dramatic climax and some heartbreak for us readers.:blobmelt:

On the other hand, idiotic misunderstandings that last through out the novels or mangas can make me drop it from the very first chapters. I mean, most misunderstanding tagged japanese mangas are pretty annoying if they don't give us something to see other than a stupid couple who can't understand each other because of their own speculations.:blobangery:

Me: "Break up, just break up... I can't bear to watch as she tells her inner monolouge about how much she loves her partner when she is misunderstanding their every action! Hey, you're totally in love with someone else, they are not the same person! :blobpopcorn_two::blobsalt:(This is why I kind of hate tsunderes sometimes, after always putting filters on their thoughs and words even their sight has been filtered:blobexpressionless:)