Final fantasy series

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Sproutling, Jan 6, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sproutling

Sproutling We are the Sproutlings

Reading List:
    Link
    Just wondering which final fantasy series is good to play.

I've finished FF8, FF9, FFT(WoTL included).

I never played FF1 - FF6. Played FF7 before but I stopped Midway.

Currently playing FFX, planning to finish it soon and move to new one.

2. slightofhand

slightofhand Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lots of people say FF6 is the best one. FF12 is good and they put out a remastered version. FF13 is decent. Be sure to play FFX-2 after you finish FFX if you liked FFX.

3. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    FFTA, FFTA2, FF1-6, FF12 & Revenant wings, crisis core ff7 & dirge of cerberus, ffX & FfX-2.

4. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    7 was good for the feels. (NOOO ARIES!!!), 8 was good for the story, 9 was good for the gameplay but Zidane's story wasn't that deep or coherent. So pick your poison.

5. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I hear great things about the 7 remake (although I hear the pc port is trash atm). 4 is also a classic and even has a good 3ds remake. My personal favorite has always been 6, but the only time they improved the game was with the playstation 1 version ages ago. Honestly, I'd have loved for it to also get the 4 or 7 treatment.

6. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Recommended:
    • FF 6 and FF 4 are good turn-based RPGs.
    • FF 12 is a weird one... I like it, but it's quite different from the previous entries on the franchise. Definitely not a turn-based RPG. It's a weird different thingy.
    • FF 13 is pretty nice. Quite fluid and has a nice story, but it's not really a turn-based RPG either. I dunno how to classify it either.
    • FF Dissidia is a pretty unique fighting game. IIRC the Dissidia 012 version is basically the same as the original game, but with extra content, so you can just play that one. Really fun, really engaging... But well, it's a fighting game, not a turn-based RPG.
    Mixed:
    • FF1 is... Dated. It's not a terrible game, but it's by no means an impressive game. Don't expect much.
    • FF2 is... Weird. Very very weird. They had some nice ideas, but the execution was very wacky... It has its charm though.
    • FF3 was nice, but I dropped it because it played horribly slow on the DS emulator... Maybe with a better PC it can be better. I can't recommend it because I dropped it fairly early on, but I remember having fun while I played it.
    • FF 13-2 and FF 13 Lightning Returns... I liked 13-2, but I stopped midway and never got back to it because it was too confusing and I'd need to restart from scratch to remember what was happening. Lightning Returns I never played because I didn't finish 13-2, but from what I saw, it looked fun.
    Not Recommended:
    • FF X-2. The game has a nice story, though Brother's character is changed into a completely nonsensical and annoying disgusting thing, which was quite bothersome... More importantly than that though, the gameplay just... Kinda sucks? It's mixture of turn-based with real-time, but it was horribly executed and just feels like a pain to play. There are also 5 billion minigames and almost all of them suck, which doesn't make it any better. I did enjoy the game's story (even if I hated how butchered Brother's character was), but I'd recommend just watching the cutscenes on youtube instead of playing the game... It's just not fun.

7. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's final fantasy. They're all great.

I'd say... play backwards through the series. The further back you go, the graphics and gameplay become steadily more dated. The earliest few games obviously suffer the most in that regard, but also have the most lacking stories, in my opinion. ... Speaking of, story wise, the games are all over the place. XV is the most recent (sort of) and arguably one of the weakest in the series. It looks fantastic, graphically, but the story - entire game, really - is sort of rushed towards the end and it's overall not quite up to par with some of the series' best. I personally consider X to be my favorite, followed by.. IX, I think.

Play VII before VII Re, ofc.

XIV is an MMO, but it has MASSIVE, EPIC storyline that probably dwarfs all the reading you've ever done on Novel Updates. A storyline that is, to put it simply, amazing. ... Even if you absolutely hate other people, I'd still suggest playing it solo at some point.

8. Sproutling

Sproutling We are the Sproutlings

Reading List:
    Link
    Just finished Final Fantasy X, the story is absolutely good, gameplay is confusing at first but you'll get used to it, mini games are always a labor it's same in FFIX, grinding for item is the worst, especially if you need triple AP weapons, Overdrive to AP, and Triple Overdrive(I'm doing AP trick).

Now, Moving to X-2.

9. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    I recommend 12 as well, it's not turn based but you can use a 10 priority system for party what to do in battle. For example you can set the healer to heal only when someone is below 80%HP, else attack, save potions, save mana and so on. Don't complicate it too much, otherwise you get conflicted conditions or at least what confuses the game.

They say 7 remake is pretty good, though it's not turn based.

MMOS are shit, amazing cinematics and that's all there is to it. Bad combat, shit quests and insane amount of grinding 'till you can finally play multiplayer or as they say "when it gets fun", except it doesn't, multiplayer combat also sucks.

10. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Final Fantasy 7 is the best one, followed by Final Fantasy 6. If you didn't finish FF7, you should play it, or you just plan to follow the remake?

11. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    the only FF series this cat manage to finnish is tactic, the original (gba port) and IV? the one with Tera as MC and Kefka as villain....
    overall FF series is good on storyline as for gameplay tbh this cat not fit for RPG game

Silver Snake likes this.
  12. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Terra's game is VI~

13. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Aside for ones that are mentioned already, I have a soft spot for FF5 even if it might be fairly dated and have a slightly more comedic tone than most of the other games in the main series.
    It's customizable job system still holds up pretty well compared to later games in the series.

14. Devils Advocate

Devils Advocate The Waffle King

Reading List:
    Link
    GO do some Dragon Quest after FF!

Silver Snake likes this.
  15. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like 6 and 9

Silver Snake likes this.
  16. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Please check the date before advising someone to play an awesome series.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.