Discussion Agroculture advise, anyone?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by The Hamster Overlord, May 4, 2022.

1. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    I doubt it is a good place to ask, but why not try anyway?
    So, frens, I have a desire to learn more about agroculture. How to raise plants properly, how to work the soil, how to identify various things related to it.
    What books would you recommend to me? What topics should I look into?

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  2. Marvin

Marvin The Man who realize love

Reading List:
    Link
    I think there's this infamous novel about chinese cultivation farming...

It became infamous cause it's too long and the story is getting more and more ridiculous, it has cool beginning though

I think it is based on a game

3. heranyla

heranyla Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi. I think it depends, what type of plant? Also, which soil type do you want to use? Are you growing it for food or aesthetics? Mostly, search on youtube for specific plants you want. I hope this helps:LOL::LOL:

4. Vilidious

Vilidious Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's agriculture, not agroculture?

UnGrave, MoJo and Cutter Masterson like this.
  5. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Buy a book, follow a YouTuber and look for a blog. Probably not helpful, but thats all I can think of now.

6. Blank-1

Blank-1 Fantasy-holic

Reading List:
    Link
    From what little I know farming seems to need a wide range of skills/knowledge .
    So I think it’ll be good idea to start off by looking through overviews of farming like on YouTube, then look deeper into individual aspects which interest you.

Several of the things I think farming involve are:
    knowing about local soil and weather conditions, operating farm equipment, being able to read through and choose from a catalogue of seeds, judgement of which crops will sell well in the future, probably knowledge of subsidies available, etc..

7. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    Need clarification.

Did you really mean "agriculture", as in the farming industry where you're growing on acres of land using heavy equipment along with tons of fertilizer and pesticides?

Or did you really mean "gardening", where you're just growing some vegetables and flowers in your backyard, or even just in pots on your window sill?

Assuming you mean backyard gardening, one of the books that was really beneficial to me is:
    Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew = https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1591862027/ - this book has been around for a long time (I think I read it back in the 90s), so you might be able to find a used copy for less somewhere.

Last edited: May 4, 2022
    asriu, Vanidor and ANonMouse like this.
  8. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    Many people think it’s simple and easy. No it’s not. It’s hardwork and skill. Now concerning your question. That would depend on location. Is it close to the tropics or towards a colder climate. What type of weather or almanac of past weather. Is this a greenhouse or garden. Is this a farm or a orchard. How far is water from where you want to grow. What type of fertilizer is available to you. There are many questions. Need a little more information

asriu likes this.
  9. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah yes, I too would enjoy an irl port of Farmville :blobsmirk:

10. MoJo

MoJo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My advice would be to get a local farmers advice. Certain things are universal, but certain things are highly dependent on location. For example, I live in a temporal zone(four seasons spring, summer, fall, winter) so I can literally kill my whole crop before harvest by not taking frost dates into account. Annual rain fall, temperature, soil type (clay, sand, humus, etc.) all are important. I'm from the USA so my local State has an agricultural extension that is free to the public. It also has a Bureau of Aquaculture where one can learn about raising fish, shellfish, and seaweeds/kelp. My advice would be to go to a local library and try to check out books that suit your needs there. No need to buy or spend money on anything until you have a better idea of what you really need. For example, my local library has a book about gardening in the North Eastern USA and is filled with plants that suit that climate and dates of when you should plant certain plants. Some plants are annual (will die over winter) or perennial (will survive winter and continue to grow year after year) Weather to direct sow seed or start from transplants. I can not grow tomatoes in my climate as the growing season is too short, to get around that I buy transplants at a garden center or grow them form seed indoors several months before it's safe(temperature wise) to transplant.

It's best to start small. If you never even raised a houseplant before, try one plant first. If food crops are your end goal, maybe an kitchen herb or small potted fruit tree? Youtube also has many educational videos too and many normal folks who are happy to share their own experiences.

Edit: there are also local gardening clubs and public community gardens in many locations where you can get advice and make friends. My local town hall and library have a bulletin board for such things. My local librarian is super helpful for researching such things. Now a days there are also Facebook groups etc.. Check your towns website and local community websites. But remember all the strange danger internet cautions when meeting online groups. Vet out if they are legit and don't ever meet up with people online alone etc.

Last edited: May 4, 2022
  11. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Join a class. Nothing beats hands on learning.

12. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So many people have answered for the agriculture part, so I'm just gonna answer the plants identifying part: just search & install an app(s) for it

13. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    It's actually horticulture. :blobpeek:

Vilidious and asriu like this.
  14. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    that kinda specific term for certain ... oh wait if OP mean gardening stuff you are right~ some people actually mean horticulture rather than agriculture but its ok cuz common people not aware of that term~

hey @The Hamster Overlord first read
    this and that
    after that you can start search type of plant you interested then other stuff it quite broad range of knowledge mind you so for start pick the plant then how to grow it~

oh almost forget there also type of hobby planting expensive plant that only have leave~ you may also try bonsai stuff but this cat forget the term for that~

ongoingwhy likes this.
  15. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    I do not recommend bonsai for beginners. Bonsai requires looooong term planning. You look at a little starter plant and think of what you might want it to look like 10 years from now. Then you do minimal work on it each year, ie mostly you'll just be constantly watering it. You'll also need to keep it in shade because bonsai plants are kept in really small pots so they don't have enough dirt to hold moisture in direct summer sun. But then after 3-4 years, you'll have forgotten what your original plan was for the plant. Frankly, there is just not much, if any, interactivity with your bonsai plant besides watering. Personally, I think that's why most bonsai enthusiasts eventually start collecting a crap load of bonsais. It's so the staggered ages and maintenance pruning gives them something to do.

asriu likes this.
  16. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    psst! bonsai is perfect hobby for those who want to become immortal~ or already one lolololol

17. Purple Jasmine

Purple Jasmine Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You first select the plants you want to grow in regard with the climate in your place. First try with potted plants.Making soil is also an important thing in plant growing.Red or black soil is easily available I think.Add some quantity of sand and Coco peat to the soil and use it for plants.Sand and Coco peat absorbs water and keeps the plants fresh even you forgot to water them and are good for plant growth.As for nutrients for plants bury egg shells in the soil of the potted plants as egg shells have calcium in them it supplies nutrients to plants.
    In our country farmers use cattle dung as manure in agriculture fields.If you can,you may try this as well. Vegetables peels or remaining waste after cutting them can also be used as manure in plants.
    Hope this information helps you and grow healthy plants.

18. Dahna

Dahna (-, – )…zzzZZZ

Reading List:
    Link
    My family grows our vegetables, so I know a bit about gardening.

1st, choose where to raise your plants. For households, 2 easy-access methods are hydroponic and using soil. And learn how to maintain their quality.

2nd, choose plants and weather suit for them.

3rd, learn how to fertilize each stage of growing the plant.

4nd, pest control. Very important. Recommend biological methods.

5th, take advice from the expert gardener who you bought garden tools from them.

You can also learn from the Internet, books, etc. But read then try, and experience are still the best way to learn.

If you want to open your own farm, then I think you should hire agricultural experts.