Discussion Choosing a new name when studying a language

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by luoxinle, May 8, 2022.

1. luoxinle

luoxinle Book Club Founder

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you ever picked a new name when you were studying a different language (like picking an English name for English class, or a Japanese name for Japanese class)?

What language did you study? How did you choose your name? Would you choose differently if you chose today?

2. Resplendor

Resplendor High Lord of Souls

Reading List:
    Link
    While studying Japanese, I unashamedly chose a name from my favorite anime at the time; Chidori. (Full Metal Panic)
    For Latin, I can't quite remember the name I chose, but it was pretty generic. Like Cornelia or something. I put no effort into it at all and never went by it.

Cutey Porcupiney and luoxinle like this.
  3. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    For Spanish I chose a name that sounded nice from a list our teacher handed out. For Japanese I chose one with a meaning that sounded cool from a book of names - but ended up regretting it because it actually sounds kind of simple and silly to native speakers. I never picked one for Latin, Russian, Korean, or Nyanja. I'm still deciding on one for Chinese.

Cutey Porcupiney likes this.
  4. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    pick for what, for mua? no never~
    if liking word then yes~

its "I you they we" it proper pronounce on english similar to Indonesia "Ayu Dewi"~ muahahaha! there other but that left most impression because it pop up early when learning english~
    oops here the translation
    Ayu mean beautiful usually for women, root from Javanese
    Dewi mean goddess root from Sanskrit which use on Javanese, Balinese and their family language

similar stuff on Japanese but meh~

luoxinle likes this.
  5. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    my Japanese name was my english name romanjified
    my english name was chosen by my parents which was just englishified from my Chinese name
    my chinese name was chosen by my grandma and its the base for all my other names I guess

AliceShiki likes this.
  6. vithc

vithc eternity's nerd

Reading List:
    Link
    For English I chose something basic,, a flower name, I thought sounded nice at the time ...I was 6. For Chinese I tried to ask my relatives to give me a Chinese name, but it turns out that the only one that 'could' alr passed away so i just asked my mom to think of a random one and used that along with my family's cn surname. As for Japanese I (thankfully) didn't choose one TwT

As for whether I would change them? No, I wouldn't even bother choosing one in the first place if I knew I'd cringe so much at them now lmao

Last edited: May 8, 2022
    luoxinle likes this.
  7. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    This is exactly why it's taking me so long to choose a Chinese name. I don't want to regret it later. Also, my native language name is very gender neutral, which I like, so I want to pick a Chinese name that works for both men and women, but that's really hard as a language learner.

I mostly want a Chinese name because it take so long to write it if I just transliterate it (do it based on pronunciation of my native name). Chinese names are all so short, so there's no space on forms and stuff for 10 characters.

vithc likes this.
  8. Obserwator

Obserwator [Gamer of Life] [Naturalist] [Universalist]

Reading List:
    Link
    I studied English, German, French and Russian but I only remember English and I never heard about choosing names...

9. Amaruna Myu

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you just need to worry about the sound of the name. some names sound more male than female (like ming jie or something hahaha I can't come up eith names on the spot) and others sound more feminine (like ning xin) the characters don't matter too much unless you want a name with significant meaning. personally I think names look good with virtuous words and precious stones (like玉lol)
    if your original name has a specific meaning to it you can just look in the dictionary for similar meaning words and just word them to sound good.

for example, I think my name sounds good but one of the character in it literally means to eat, so... yeah...

luoxinle likes this.
  10. Tsubaki -

Tsubaki - Unknown Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I studied Japanese (unsuccessfully) for a few years and during our first or second session we learned how to write our names in Katakana. It was quite a challenge tbh trying to 'convert' our names, haha. Especially because my native language has a lot of consonants after consonants.

luoxinle likes this.
  11. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    In my Intro to Spanish class, everyone picked a Spanish name for themself off the list.

But people swapped their namesdout since they no longer liked it, and then some just didn't use it at all lol.

So in the end, everyone just used their English name :blobrofl:

AliceShiki and luoxinle like this.
  12. Lois.

Lois. ❲.❳ Wooosh.

Reading List:
    Link
    I just use the same name I have in English just with different "Pronunciation" based on how the language pronounces it's letters. :blobjoy:

luoxinle likes this.
  13. Amaruna Myu

Reading List:
    Link
    I just saw a YouTube video in my feed, I'm not sure if it's useful since I didn't watch it but here:

for chinese names if anyone is ever interested

14. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Never thought of that.
    Learnt 4 foreign languages and several of our district's/tribe languages.
    When I learnt new language, the teachers usually would ask us to write our name in that language. For example, with Japanese katakana.
    So I never thought of giving myself new name.

15. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Never even considered it. I like my name, so I just use my name when studying a language. No point in getting a different one.