Discussion Do You Prefer It When Isekai/Regression/Reincarnation Novels Start With...

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by jch, May 8, 2022.

1. jch

jch Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you prefer it when isekai/regression/reincarnation/etc novels start after the main character has adjusted to their new world/body? I mean as in a few days or so after they've transmigrated or reborn.
    I like it since I think it cuts down on all the filler on being shocked or wondering what happened, and all that boring stuff, since you can jump straight to the actual worldbuilding and action.

2. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    Normal non-isekai fantasy be like: and where did all of that take you? Back to me

3. Evilseniorbro

Evilseniorbro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are the few where it's just mentioned that oh yea I reincarnated and already adjusted. But I do agree, most times I cringe at how they go through the whole adjustment period, making an embarrassment of themselves because they think it's a dream or a game.

jch likes this.
  4. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    both if they are well writen

AliceShiki, Astaroth, jch and 2 others like this.
  5. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    There'll be some parts of a chapter mentioning or being entirely about the 'adjustment' , irregardless of whether that's in the start or later on to explain something.

Then again, the amount of adjustment varies quite a lot between novels.

jch likes this.
  6. Slief

Slief Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I despise when they be like "oh it's a dream" bitch if you got your five senses, touch hearing and so on and can think logically then how tf is that a dream?

jch likes this.
  7. Senros

Senros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This. I remember a webtoon where the MC (a woman) was isekai'd and was reborn as a baby and she felt really embarrassed when she peed or pooped herself and had to be cleaned off by her maids. It was pretty funny to me
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They also had the lord of worms. I found his hilarious for some reason.
    [​IMG]

Whiny characters are hard to swallow though...

jch likes this.
  8. NoLongerTheSame

NoLongerTheSame Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just skip that part. Yours is just one side of the coin. On the other side, people would be complaining why the author skipped those parts.
    For me personally, if such an intro was tastefully done. I won't mind reading through it as it could possibly be something that affects the latter parts of the story. If it's just cliche bs lacking in creativity, it's not that hard to skip.

jch likes this.
  9. kyoshijiro

kyoshijiro [Draugr] [Oniric Lord] [Disaster of a human being]

Reading List:
    Link
    For reincarnation stories going through the training arc as a kid gets annoying fast. Its interesting at first but having to constantly see a baby do ridiculous things while struggling against or ignoring the limits from being a child feels ridiculous and irritating. So i would prefer after setting up the basic training the child can do then time skip to when they are older and more independent.
    For isekai stories i think the most world building happens as the character is adapting to the new world and discovering new things. After that its usually just fantasy battles or interactions with special characters. With little new worldbuilding

Astaroth and jch like this.
  10. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, I like those parts. I like how they figure out stuff. Than set their plan on what this new life will be. Than all the training. I don’t like novels that makes the MC OP right from the get go. I want them to earn it. Personally, I don’t like an MC having any cheats. I want them to earn every inch. Than prove why their the MC, but hey that’s just me

AliceShiki, jch and simak like this.
  11. darkriox

darkriox New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't really like it, but that's just usually the way it goes

jch likes this.
  12. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really, I feel that skipping over that part is essentially skipping over an important part of establishing the character and if you are not bothering with that then I typically don't really see a point with using those tropes in the first place.
    Of course it is often done badly, but most of the time I tend to feel that those stories would screw up anyway even if you skip over that part.
    There is always exceptions though.

AliceShiki and jch like this.
  13. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The adapting to the new world portion is an easy and efficient way to cover one of the necessary components in fantasy stories, establishing the world of the story. The MC learns about the new world as he/she/it adapts to the world, which also allows for the reader to learn about the world.

These worlds are not all cookie cutter, there is a lot of common elements due to commonly used sources and influences, but any decent novel has enough new elements to make the world feel unique to a reader actually looking at the differences (though there are to many readers who just look at the similarities).

14. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Getting used to a new environment is a great way to build the world, and to establish character traits, and to lay out the interpersonal relationships. Why would anyone want to skip crucial story elements like this? Sure it's possible to write books without this, but they will always feel lacking and sterile in comparison. It probably won't matter as much to books that are sterile to begin with, but that's like positing that making a bad book worse isn't that big a deal. The only time I see skipping this stuff benefit a story is when the characters start off way too young and it takes time before they can be involved in the story but that's just making up for bad story decisions.

AliceShiki likes this.
  15. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd much rather have the story start when the MC is reborn in case they are reborn with past-life memories... Or in case they are reborn and recover their past-life memories after hitting their head or something, then I prefer if the story starts on the moment they recover their past-life memories.

It's an important part of isekai to show that feeling of being in a strange and new environment, adapting to things and whatnot... If you're gonna skip that, then why use isekai in the first place? Just use traditional fantasy instead.

Nimroth likes this.