Request Please convince me to read TCF

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Amaruna Myu, May 8, 2022.

1. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    TCF=Trash of the Count's Family
    I know from spoilers and little art pieces about the novel
    I've read the manhwa and I like the art (and the story, though people say the manhwa don't do it justice, but I still think its great)
    and I've been thinking of reading it
    but holy crap I look at the status of the novel, volume 1 is completed at 700+ chapter and volume 2 isn't even out.
    I'm getting cold sweat.
    please convince me to read this novel! (by any way you can think of, even spoilers, if they're exciting enough, just remember to use the spoiler tag)

I'll muster the motivation to read after waking up lol.
    I also wanna read s-classes I've raised ahhh the art is always drawn with orv and tcf :notlikeblob:

aShinyVaporeon, saeviz and Lonelycity like this.
  2. Lonelycity

Lonelycity Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    TCF And ORV are reads that almost anyone will recommend to the end of hell and back.... If you're getting cold feet by the sheer number of chapters, you shouldn't worry. As you start reading, you'll lose track of time and it'll be over before you know it?

3. Neverthelessilu

Neverthelessilu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    +1

4. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, first, reading is a superior option in this case, providing a more enjoyable experience.
    Second, you can slowly chip away at the chapters, the quality is very consistent throughout and, this way, you'll have something good to read anytime for a while. Though it's really not that much. The chapters are not too long and you will catch up in a week at most.

Amaruna Myu likes this.
  5. Senros

Senros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    But my weeks only have 7 days in them, not 30... well, I know I read slowly (a pleb with a reading speed of 150-200 per minute) and with work you get even less time (unless you can read during work, if you can, you have good luck.)

Anyway, I read around half of TCF, but I had to start with the manhwa. I tried reading the novel a year ago (maybe 2) and I couldn't finish the first chapter... I got to around chapter 50 in the manhwa and then went to the novel. I think it's a good novel, but I found it repetitive. It's always the same thing of: something happens somewhere, MC has to go to that place (or gets sent to that place), MC complains that he wants to live a carefree life, he exerts himself too much and faints, his followers get worried about him, he wakes up after a few hours (or days) and then something happens in another place and he repeats the cycle.

It's still enjoyable, because of the characters, but you need to be in the mood for that kind of novel.

Amaruna Myu likes this.
  6. Shaiole

Shaiole Mad scientist

Reading List:
    Link
    People won't read a story too short or too long.

Would you prefer to read 10 average short novels, or 1 really good long novel? There is nothing wrong with the former, some may prefer this due to variation of different stories.
    I generally prefer the latter. The hardest thing for me to read is the first few chapters of a story. Since at first, it kinda takes extra effort to invest in the novel's world and characters at the start. But this gets easier at some point. Plus if i stopped liking it after some point, I will just drop it. I read tfc till 500ish chapters, stopped coz i reached updates. But it was really a good read. Plans to restart reading it soon since u mentioned s1 is complete. Just try it. If you dont really feel like reading it, no one is forcing you to read all 700 chapters.

7. Slief

Slief Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have read both and dropped both, I read TCF to like chapter 300 when it started being boring and OVP like 40 chapters in since nothing made sense and everything was so disconnected. I still don't get how they rate higher than Warlock Of The Magus World.

Amaruna Myu, Lonelycity and Astaroth like this.
  8. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    I read smth like 300 ch's over a weekend of it once. But I guess my extreme levels of autism didn't let me be bothered by the repetition:blob_grin:

Amaruna Myu and Senros like this.
  9. Senros

Senros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol, don't worry about it. I came to that realization after 300 chapters in the span of two weeks, I think, so you are not alone :ROFLMAO:

Amaruna Myu likes this.
  10. NoLongerTheSame

NoLongerTheSame Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you need convincing to read something, you better read stories you really wanna read right now. If you need a breather, pick TCF. Not that hard, follow your heart (cringe). XD

Amaruna Myu likes this.
  11. AbrarMalik

AbrarMalik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    TCF isn’t really an action plot based series, things just happen naturally. Personally I didn’t like it

Amaruna Myu likes this.
  12. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    If you liked the manhua then youll like the novel.

Tbh its not very long. Unlike some CN works with tons of characters per chapter.

Amaruna Myu likes this.
  13. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m probably the wrong person you want to talk to about this because I can’t recommend this novel. Sorry
    To me the novel almost feels like a running gag. It just never ends. It doesn’t feel like different arcs, but one long mess. That’s why I quit reading. If your reading this I wish you luck

otaku31, Amaruna Myu and Astaroth like this.
  14. Lonelycity

Lonelycity Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly... I have dropped TCF too not cuz I didn't like it but cuz i want to read it in one go. But i do understand your problem with the novel... The hook is kinda missing....

Now as far as ORV is concerned, you gave up way too early. First of all ORV is a story that's meant for REPEATED READING. As nothing is explained to you on a platter. It doesn't rush into the plot from the get go. Instead it slowly unfolds before your eyes. Each new chapter slowly shows how the world is working. Its a story where they do 'show but don't tell' to sublime perfection.

You might argue saying the MC(aka the reader of the original story Kim Dokja) knows everything and hence there's no mystery and it's all easy mode or what not. Or that he can do ass pulls whenever he wants or deus ex machina? But this is not that kind of story.

The story takes its rules, limits and plausibility seriously. Nakama powers don't work. Neither does secret power ups. All that works is planning planning and even more planning. But even that fails....

Finally there's the epilogue. The epilogue here is a full 100 chapter long. And it's THE real story.

The epilogue kinda blasts you with the direction they take... But the beauty is that it was always foreshadowed. From the very first chapter we had the ending kinda in sight but we never saw it coming.

Tldr: it's a beautifully planned story. And is an onion. As you keep reading, youll see layers over layers over layers... Until your world becomes ORV..... very meta novel. And there's a reason why it's one of the highest rated novels here.

PS: it had been declared the top novel in Korea for back when it first came in 2018~~
    PPS: there's a 5 part love action movie which will adapt ORV.

PPPS: i am a simp. Ain't i?

Amaruna Myu likes this.
  15. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    who can resist simping for dokja. the man has the drip
    Screenshot_417.png
    as for TCF, I dropped it after WW dropped it, but from what I can gather...it kind of just keep going. Will you enjoy it? Probably, it's not empty like chinese stuff tends to be.

Last edited: May 9, 2022
    Amaruna Myu, twinfish and Lonelycity like this.
  16. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    I ended up dropping TCF around like 400( i think). It felt like it was dragging on while needlessly introducing new plot threads while being right in front of what should have been the end game. It just dragged on

Amaruna Myu and Lonelycity like this.
  17. yogesh12

yogesh12 Hater of Generic Novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbh, if you are looking for a non-repeatable story then this novel is not for you. After some 200+ chaps you'll start seeing that every thing is just rinse and repeat just with characters changed and background changed. It maybe a good story for many but unless you were thinking the story would be unique then this isn't for you. Fyi, i dropped the story around 300+ because i couldn't stomach the repitition in the novel. Mc wants to laze around> gets some big incident thrown on him> there goes his plan of being lazy> saves the day and every character praises the mc. It's this same loop.
    p.s if someone is about to get salty about this then pls don't mind this post. This is just my experience.

18. Meap

Meap Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Try to read it.

While some people praise it to the heavens and above, for a small minority it's simply a good story.
    You have to decide on your own.

From my own experience listening to others could result in some very nice information. For example the purchase of stuff online.

But it could also lead to the loss of a very valuable/cherished experience. So try it and if it doesn't suit you then leave. Maybe once you have time then you can come back and try it again.

Amaruna Myu likes this.
  19. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    I started with the webtoon. it made things make sense. in the webtoon you can see the similarities between orv and Tower climbing novels. it is the later parts that make a difference

there's romance? with who? I liked orv because the romance was barely existing ;-;

20. aShinyVaporeon

aShinyVaporeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They're different types of novels, and are enjoyable to different types of readers. I'd recommend you read the ORV manhwa since it's a lot better at stringing things together imo (and the art is great too)

I'm fairly sure there's no romance in TCF. I can't even think of any side couples. I'm not sure what the 5 part love action movie means though.