Discussion Incest in novels: acceptable or not in bl, gl

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Irisia, May 10, 2022.

?

Is it acceptable? Does it bother you?

1. Yes, bl, gl. it doesn't bother me

2. No

3. Incest, incest, incest. Important things need to be said three times

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Irisia

Irisia Moon bunny at your service

Reading List:
    Link
    This topic is only applied to novels and not to irl.(Though it would make sense irl too)
    People dislike incest bla bla bla. The main reason why it became unacceptable in real world is because of blood mix. Because people started getting sick and died , rather than the people who comitted it, the one's to suffer where their children. This is the main point. Incest affected the fate of descendants. Specifically between royalty and nobility, where there was plenty of incest (arranged marriages), it became a problem of extinction, thus incest became forbidden.

Definition of incest
    : sexual intercourse between persons so closely related that they are forbidden by law to marry

Now about this. There are plenty of countries where bl, gl couples are NOT allowed to marry as only GB is acceptable because of religion or other things. The main reason why incest is unacceptable also doesn't apply to bl, gl couples, because offsprings are simply impossible. So my question is: can you accept incest in bl, gl novels? I am not talking about irl, because acceptability of bl, gl couples in the world is still quite low and going even further is a mess. Novels can give you a perfect world where everyone accepts bl, gl, where there are gers and stuff. Now let's exclude ger novels and special constitution novels out of this thread, because the main condition of no offsprings becomes invalid and vote sincerely. Also please comment why you can or can't accept it. I think this is a very interesting topic, so I want to hear more opinions.

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  2. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean it is sort of fine, idk? Reminds me of one of themed playthrough I did in rimworld where my starting pawns were a pair of lesbian incestual sisters.

Sabruness likes this.
  3. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Cutting to the chase, my opinion is very simple.

Incest is wincest.

ArcadiaMagus, Ash_Kira and asriu like this.
  4. Lorcilblue

Lorcilblue Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i dont think its a huge problem bc im reading fiction buttt im not tryna read about two sisters/brothers making out . Its awkward n weird . but still, it is fiction i can accept that but i personally wouldn't want to read it. just like the step-brother/sister trope . not saying i would throw an interesting story because of incest tho-

5. a14635

a14635 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You do know that these laws vary from country to country, right? In some countries cousins are forbidden to marry, not matter their relation degree, while other countries even allow direct cousins to marry.

6. ExiledMage

ExiledMage Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don’t really mind much if they are cousins as of cultural differences between me and the author would vary, however if it’s an incest between a biological sister and brother, the author is just being disgusting, his/her train of thought that lead to incest is questionable… maybe they are imagining to doing it to their own sibling

littleoctopus likes this.
  7. Irisia

Reading List:
    Link
    Please reread the definition again, you clearly didn't read it correctly. Also this is the definition, I didn't make it up. The law in each country states how close you can be. You yourself negate your own comment.

8. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    Soooo
    Your asking if a Father and Son, Brother and Brother, Uncle and Nephew. Mother and Daughter, Sister and Sister, Aunt and Niece. Or something along those lines are ok in at least fictional stories?
    My answers is YES.
    I believe there shouldn’t be any boundaries when it comes to writing. If it fits. Than there’s no issue.
    On a personal note. I would be fine with about any type of relationship. As long as both sides are happy. It’s not my place to tell anyone what they should think or do. The only thing I ask is that they try not to hurt anyone along the way. Even in RL

ArcadiaMagus and asriu like this.
  9. ali3rd

ali3rd Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Opinion? There is not enough incest in novels

10. Irisia

Reading List:
    Link
    Also people please read properly and respond properly. This is a thread only for bl, gl. No brother sister.

Sabruness likes this.
  11. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    Incest is wincest
    -a wise man
    ... Speaking of, I am following a gl novel with main otp being a pair of twin sisters - it is pretty good, it's called something something hopeless sister.
    I've read a few of bl and gl novels with bro/bro and sis/sis, there was an awesome manga about a mother x daughter - which got stopped in translation, unfortunately.
    So, yeah, I have no problems

12. Resplendor

Resplendor High Lord of Souls

Reading List:
    Link
    It's taboo. Which makes it interesting to read about.
    Most of us wouldn't kill and murder our way to the top of the world in the real world either. But it's interesting to read about.

I don't enjoy reading something that glorifies incest in a realistic manner. Often real incest starts out as rape or grooming, usually an older sibling or relative preying on a younger one. Which is all sorts of messed up af. And I've come across ones like that. Those deserve all the down votes and condemnation possible.

But most instances of fictional incest don't play out like that. It's either two consenting adults separated for a long time so they never had any sense of family. A lover they didn't know was related to them until too late. Two people who went through a traumatic event and only had each other to rely on and develop an over reaching co-dependacy. Or even someone who transmigrates into a sibling/relative's body and the soul has no family relationship to worry about. Those one's are a little weird to me since at least one sibling/relative does have a familiar connection, but I skirt around it mentally.

Anyways, I guess I have an arbitrary line where incest becomes creepy in fiction. It probably centers around consent and a lack of familiar connection so it doesn't feel like real incest. Also, this is my feeling regardless of the genders of those involved. BG, BL or GL.

Tsubaki - and Steamc like this.
  13. Irisia

Reading List:
    Link
    Then can you explain why it is digusting to you?

14. ExiledMage

ExiledMage Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Alright let me rephrase it
    don’t really mind much if they are cousins as of cultural differences between me and the author would vary, however if it’s an incest between a biological sister and sister or brother and brother the author is just being disgusting, his/her train of thought that lead to incest is questionable… maybe they are imagining to doing it to their own sibling

Because some author wrote a novel about me and my 9 year old sister doing it because that author hated me, it truly sicken me hearing any mention of incest.

And also the fiction stems from the author imagination, going on how they are having $ex in great details show either they did something similar in real life or repeatedly imagining such scene.

15. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't mind incest in general, for as long as it is treated properly and that the characters are aware that what they're doing is messed up. This holds true regardless of the type of incest in question.

One of my favorite mangas is a mother/daughter incest for one, but like... That's because the mother is very well aware of how messed up it all is and she really feels horrible about it and tries avoiding giving in to her daughter's feelings as much as possible.

If it's incest that is not taken seriously though, then I don't like it.

16. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In general I am not fine with it, maybe somewhat distant cousins, but only when it is outside the limits of close family.
    I grew up with close relationships with 1st and 2nd cousins (my dad's sister and his cousin both moved to houses very close to where my parents did) and at that level just feels weird to me.
    Well, that is just sick... sorry for what happened but that person deserves a good beating, to heal then get another beating from your sister.
    For some reasons , I always thought that was for twins...

17. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally I don't really have a problem with incest itself, whether or not if it is in fiction or real life.
    However what I do have a problem with is a lot of issues surrounding incest, especially when it comes to power dynamics as it is pretty hard to have an incestuous relationship that isn't imbalanced in some way.
    It is just that if there is any form of grooming, abuse or coercion involved, then it is bad regardless of if it is incest or not.
    And because it is a so complicated subject with loads of stigma I usually prefer if a story tries to treat it as something serious, regardless of if the story is positive or negative about it.

Last edited: May 10, 2022
    Tsubaki - and AliceShiki like this.
  18. Steamc

Steamc °^°

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought that I didn't mind incest in fiction but I remember seeing a youtube short related to incest being discussed and the person who was discussing it was disgusted by the idea of it.

And in my mind I was like yeah, he is right. but then I recall all the bxb incests I've read so far.

It was clear to me that I had an hypocritical opinion on incest.
    I still don't have any firm opinion on it.

Also I feel if I were to have an positive opinion on it . I would feel guilty and even be embarrassed to express such opinion to people I know.
    Guilty because my upbringing and culture.

Last edited: May 10, 2022
  19. Lemonlyn

Lemonlyn ♥[ Incubus ] Onee-san Seducer♥

Reading List:
    Link
    Well not just blood. Everyone jas mutation in dna and when your close famiky have a child the mutation that might not cause harm ir showvuo in you will show in yoir chikd. Just i don't care bc like its your life and you can do and think what you want... Just don't make a child because they will have a high chance of having to live a painful experience because of the visible mutations

20. MidstNost

MidstNost 【 Reigen's Saltshaker 】【 Lingtian Raider 】

Reading List:
    Link
    if one is not blood related, then one can do the x-rated