Movie I just watched Hereditary

Discussion in 'TV/Movies Discussion' started by Dr_H_16, May 13, 2022.

1. Dr_H_16

Dr_H_16 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    After putting it off for so long, I finally got over my contempt of horror movies and watched it. Everyone else who had watched it said that it's different. I believe them, but... it's still a horror movie. Just how good could it be?

*cue screaming out loud at the car scene*

Kaze Ling and Shizukani like this.
  2. Shizukani

Shizukani Chronically stressed

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobpeek: Those subtle horror scenes creep me out~ It was pretty fun though! Those with the cult/demonic subjects always bothers me more :notlikeblob:

Kaze Ling likes this.
  3. Kaze Ling

Kaze Ling Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This will make me sound like a psychopath but.. I found the first bit of the movie really boring honestly. I was getting more and more tired and was planning on shutting it off if it didn't get better soon. Then that scene happened and I... burst out laughing. Like, could not stop laughing. Woke me right up. Everything right after that was so damn well done that I was all of a sudden super interested in the movie.

It's a slow burn without many jumpscares, its subtle scenes were really great, and the acting was sooo good. I was seriously impressed by the acting. I can't say the movie is for everyone but it's a 9/10 from me. Recommend.

GlueGod, anotherAniket and Dr_H_16 like this.
  4. anotherAniket

anotherAniket Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I found the movie weirdly funny. Feels like that whole family was picked straight from a comedy skit.

I know that Ari Aster is a David Lynch fan, maybe he was going for those surreal, inexplicable characters Lynch is famous for. But I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. Nice shots though.

5. magic turtle

magic turtle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    hereditary is like that one nightmare that always finds a way to creep into your dreams, terrifying and weird.

6. GlueGod

GlueGod Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ur right it was comedic, I found the same experience with the Ring 2002, for some reason a lot of these modern horror films excel at the jumpscaring and the slowburn but feel just kinda weak with the intensity of the plot.

I do recommend checking out a show called Paranormal on Netflix, arabic show but the horror is done really well in that.

anotherAniket likes this.
  7. anotherAniket

anotherAniket Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the rec.
    I don't watch much of horror movies, so I don't have anything to recommend you in return. Maybe, Raw, a 2016's French indie art house coming-of-age body horror drama.

It has cannibalism, great cinematography, soundtrack, and direction but it's more of a drama than horror. Though not a whole lot is going on for the plot, it's personal and intricate inlaid with metaphors, sex and nudity, and social commentary.
    Being an art-house cannibal movie, it's surprisingly grounded and on the tamer side compared to the most movies on the subject; it's still quite disturbing and gory.

GlueGod likes this.
  8. GlueGod

GlueGod Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds interesting - I'll check it out thanks!

9. MidstNost

MidstNost 【 Reigen's Saltshaker 】【 Lingtian Raider 】

Reading List:
    Link
    I recommend The VVitch (2015) starred by Anya Joy. My favorite horror movie. Has a similar vibe like Hereditary but The VVitch fks you up more than anything. I love the 17th Century England Folk Horror vibes