Casual Games Based on Novels

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Wujigege, May 4, 2022.

1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    What are some simple games based on the novels you have read?

I am considering making my own games based on the novels I licence in the future.

@otaku31 @SwordEmpress

2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No idea, really. I can recall my cousin playing a game based on the cultivation genre and taoism, but I forgot the name. I think some IET novels also sparked off game adaptations (MMORPG?), but I cannot confirm the news.

I've heard that light novels lend themselves better to game adaptations, but as I hardly ever read them or, for that matter, play games, I cannot validate the statement. I have also heard that successful game franchises are more likely to kickstart novels and anime adaption of the same than the other way round, but again, as stated above, I am not the person to ask about it. :blobpensive:

Last edited: May 4, 2022
    Wujigege and Sabruness like this.
  3. Celebration

Celebration Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I honestly want a realistic dungeon building game similar to dungeon heart/ mario maker. In where you can get really detail, with Many themes you can do every 10 levels. This game doesn't exist. I am not talking D&D or Zelda type dungeon game. Definitely inspired from a book and lives in my head.

Wujigege likes this.
  4. Greater thunder

Greater thunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey @Wujigege don't xianxia novels lend themselves really well to turn based rpgs or strategies?

Considering all the talking or times when despite equal or superior levels, techniques, etc the currently written character has monopoly of action and does his or her stuff uninterrupted.

Speaking of tled xianxia games, one is the sect oriented one (the simulator one) and the other is an idle game single character where server splitting is weird (the nearly all Vietnamese guild had me, a guy from Europe who only speaks my native language, english and some german, and a chinese so a lot of guild messages were for me ???) and casual players vs whales doesn't really matter.

Jade Dynasty is Zhu Xian inspired, I think.

And of not tled xianxia games, most mentioned(nostalgia factor, I guess) I ran into is Legend of Sword and Fairy and its sequels.

Wujigege likes this.
  5. Rilise

Rilise Aestivating

Reading List:
    Link
    Hm? Like soul continent (Douluo dalu)?

Wujigege likes this.
  6. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for all the replies.

Xuan Yuan Sword is the only one I know was made for English audiences.

Most Chinese games never get localised

7. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not quite sure, the ones that I've seen are not casuals + some are probably in reverse (games/movies first then books):
    Rainbow Six (based on Tom Clancy's novel of the same title)
    Mech Warrior/Battletech (no, not the mashed up anime. Battletech game came sometimes on mid/late '80s as a turn based game, got into dispute, then rereleased again mid '90s as Mech Warrior in simulator style game)
    Dune (the game is loosely based on the novel)
    I think there's a match 3 game based on How to Train Your Dragon movie for mobile
    Forgot the title of both the game & novel, but it's an MMORPG that claimed to be based on one of Jin Yong's work outside the Condor Heroes trilogy
    If I'm not mistaken, the game called Wuxia World is based on Jin Yong's Condor Heroes
    Warhammer series (PC game & novel, based on the D&D table top game)
    Magic the Gathering (the game is an RPG w/ the fights/battle based on the card battle. Think of what if Yu-Gi-Oh game got world exploration part like Digimon game)

Last edited: May 4, 2022
    Wujigege likes this.
  8. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
  9. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    There is also plenty of western books that became video games specifically Tom Clancy splinter cell.

Wujigege likes this.
  10. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Betrayal at Krondor. It was okay for the time but I think I got stuck on a bug around chapter 3 of the main quest.

Wujigege likes this.
  11. Shiki

Shiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Based on novels? Only fate/stay night and SAO. But those aren't simple? Except if you want to go FGO route (which has its own share of troubles, like big cast).

Wujigege likes this.
  12. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Fate/Stay Night is based on Eroge game lol

13. Shiki

Shiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    visual "novel".

Wujigege likes this.
  14. gangbuntu

gangbuntu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    haaa.
    this one is the other way around.
    the game was created based on raymond e. fiest riftwar setting, but the novelization occurred later.
    got stuck playing this game as well; not because of a bug, but because i went straight on the main quests, ignoring the sides and came to a point where my characters were simply too puny to beat the enemies.
    it's not a simple game; it has a solid rpg mechanics whereby gears have durability, tools and skills are prerequisites for gear maintenance. there is day-n-night transition and characters need to eat and sleep.

there is another game inspired by a novel - though it was actually an original story: shannara -- based on terry brooks' series. love the story, enjoy the puzzles.
    this one is simpler; pretty sure renpy can handle this kind of game (as in: no/minimal game-specific engine/logic to implement).

game of thrones?

one might argue that most rpg games can trace its root to tolkien.

----------------------

there are many rpg games based on jin yong novels; but not sure if there's any localization effort

perhaps before trying to make a new game, try to find a "hidden gem"? a quite obscure chinese/japanese game that show potential and negotiate for publishing role?

15. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess that's technically correct, but all the characters were ones I'd read in the Riftwar series and I considered it to be based on those 4 novels at the time, not the novelization that came 5 years later, far after I'd given up on the game. I don't think I read it since I wanted to play the game again someday.

I never did play the sequel game.

It's weird the chain of memories that gives. I used the name Kesh_Con (from the Keshian Confederacy) as a country name in strategy games a few years later in 93 or so, the online game Empire. Kind of a derail but did anyone happen to play it?