Discussion How do you handle a suicidal person?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Deadmantellnotales, May 14, 2022.

1. Deadmantellnotales

Deadmantellnotales rebmeM nwonK-lleW

Reading List:
    Link
    I was visiting a new city, just solo travelling. I found many interesting people in many circumstances. And yesterday, I found a guy near a attraction with starched to sea. It was late at night and people are going back. Then I guy sat next to me so, like any person do, I smiled as a good gesture. He asked where am from and he said he's lives near. Then showed me a phone, it's the photo of a guy sleeping, then he said that guys dead, and started crying, saying he was his childhood friend and they went to school and college together, and he died 4 days ago. Then started saying can't live anymore and want to die. He was the correct definition for suicidal person, you can understand that by his behaviour. I tried to make him ease up, then he said his girlfriend also committed suicide, when I heard that I just froze. Then he showed a photo of 5 names written on sand in a beach. He said those were his friends who committed suicide in last 2 months, after hearing that I can't find the right words to say because just think about it, what are the chances of 5 friends committing suicide in a span of 2 months. I'm pretty sure something fucked up happened behind the scenes.
    That guy was a pretty nice guy, when he heard that I'm staying there that night, he asked to come to his home and stay,but since I don't want to wake up seeing a guy hanging in the ceiling I declined. Then another guy came to pick him up because they were worried. And thus that chapter ended. He actually called me this morning asking whether I got into my train and to check everything is OK. I want to be optimistic and believe he overcome his problem, but from what I have seen, he's definitely going to kill himself, I thought of reporting to the police booth there, but since I kinda of a strong believer in "Right to Die", I didn't do that. It's upto him to choose whether to carry that burden or give up.

2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You made the right decision by declining his invitation cuz it could have ended up with either of you not waking up at all. :blobwoah:

3. Rayleigh

Rayleigh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I also think that's a bit hard of a decision to make although this may look cruel but you made a right decision. There's nothing that can stop them once they made their decision. You can only hope that they'll change their mind.

FIEND and Deadmantellnotales like this.
  4. rhianirory

rhianirory Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    this.
    it's ok to feel sympathy for the guy but you made the right decision. it's not your burden and someone came and picked him up.
    also, while its probably not the case here, please remember that playing on your sympathy/ empathy is one way serial predators "hunt" other people (some of them are amazing actors).

AliceShiki, Vanidor, FIEND and 6 others like this.
  5. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's really hard to say and help.
    But since he did message you first, maybe you can talk to him here and there, just like good morning or good day.

People's burden are not the same for them and we cannot udnerstand them even if we have almost the same experience.

Deadmantellnotales likes this.
  6. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Call a suicide hotline for them. He's willing to talk to a complete stranger about his situation, so that makes me think that he's asking for help.

7. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You should have called the police. One thing I'm very suspicious of is how many people he seems to know that "committed suicide". 5 is a way too abnormal number in 4 months. If you had followed him, it might not be him hanging from the ceiling the next day. From what I have observed, those that are most likely to commit suicide are those that "bottle it up" rather than run around crying, which is why many suicides come as a huge surprise because they thought the other party was "doing OK" until he popped. This guy running around crying is, to be honest, very suspicious. Especially the invite to his home.

Hell, I work in a hospital and of all the years I've lived, I only know of 4 cases of suicides or attempted suicides. 5 in half a year is way abnormal.

8. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    If this was a movie, the cause would be a paranormal event. :blobpeek: Or, this guy is a serial killer. :sweating_profusely: It doesn't make sense why he would target OP though. :hmm:

9. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    It can be a possible random trawling for victims, and especially a travelling one where there is no one to report him missing until days after the event. If people know you are a visitor, your chances of having an adverse event goes way up since you're "safe" prey.

10. Deadmantellnotales

Deadmantellnotales rebmeM nwonK-lleW

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I don't think he some kind of pervert or scammer coz guys kinda know lot decent people there and guy who came to pickup actually really worried. He constantly got call from his parents and friends because he said he's going to that attraction(he said he and his now deceased friend vist there almost everyday) , plus at night it's high tide with harsh waves so it's pretty sure why someone need to visit that place.

11. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    I know, it might be an innocent encounter but remember, you only got one life. If you were wrong about it, you don't have a "load last save" button.

FIEND and Deadmantellnotales like this.
  12. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    Agreed still think u made the right call. Sometimes it’s hard not to be a bleeding heart but the reality is the only thing I can do is just be emotionally supportive. The world is too heavy of a burden for you to bear, even atlas got scoliosis f

Deadmantellnotales likes this.
  13. Renzy

Renzy 『⚓』『JackOfAllTrades』『7years』

Reading List:
    Link
    If you read this and in your life you still have suicidal thoughts, don't ever do it..

Why?
    We still have someone that we need to repay their kindness..
    We only need money.. so better work hard and enjoy life..
    Lastly.. we still need to read those novels we never read.. and watch the animes that makes us happy..

Your dear friend,
    Captain Renzy

Deadmantellnotales and Kaylee like this.
  14. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    You definitely shouldn't go into a stranger's home. Way too dangerous. You did the right call at rejecting the invitation.

That said, you could have called a suicide hotline or something. Let the professionals handle this kind of thing. You aren't trained to handle it, so you shouldn't try it, especially not for a stranger.

And as other people said... This many suicides in a short period of time seems fishy.

Deadmantellnotales and Nightow1 like this.