Discussion Question to fellow one star readers!

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by ExiledMage, May 9, 2022.

Tags:
  1. ExiledMage

ExiledMage Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I’ve seen quite few of readers and checked their profile and saw that 98 percent of their reviews are 1 star and the rest are 2-3 stars, I’m curious on why they don’t review good novels, do they only review bad novels to vent the frustration of wasting their precious time on trashy novel? I truly don’t know..

Mr gentleman likes this.
  2. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    They are probably the type of people who find something they don’t like and give up on the novel straight away. They don’t give the novel a chance by reading further and just give it a low rating~

ExiledMage likes this.
  3. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Most web novels go downhill after 100 chaps so even when I loved this crap and rated everything 5 stars, by the time I finished...
    I mean, I've read over a thousand chapters of MGA, the infamously repetitive xianxia(even for a xianxia) I thought it was cool despite its flaws but enough was enough. That was when xianxia translations were just about a year old and even new readers who discovered this novelty would drop MGA after 300 chaps. And that's a consistent novel, it doesn't actually get worse after 100chaps, it just stays the same...for 5000 chapters ROFL.
    Others get worse and worse like I'm really a superstar, God and Devil World...
    Some readers may have past their web novel phase so what was once 3 stars for them is now 1 stars, which to be fair is an honest rating lol but they're here bored still reading, sunken cost fallacy.

ExiledMage likes this.
  4. xuexxi

xuexxi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    probably because it’s easier to have more things to say about what u hate, ik a lot of people like certain novels but don’t exactly have much to say about it
    there are also people who just wanna hate for fun (seriously what’s up with rating/reviewing novels that have like 3 chapters? zzz)

ExiledMage likes this.
  5. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    With some 1-star reviews, I feel like the mentality is more of
    " If a novel was good that's nice, maybe I'll write a review about it. Probably not"
    Vs
    "This novel is absolutely horrible. It's pure trash. Why would anyone recommend this. I'm gonna write a review and vent my frustration"

6. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To start with, I wouldn't assume good faith on the part of all of these highly negative reviewers. I'd be the first to admit that an awful lot of the books on NU are terrible, but they're not that bad. A 1-rating should be reserved for the worst out there, so if a reader has to rate next to everything 1, then he probably likes reading bad books, is a masochist, or is very bad at expressing himself.

Personally, I like reading trash isekai novels, but the thing is, I know that they're terrible from the beginning so it would be weird for me to be upset when I find out that I'm correct. On the other hand, I don't think that this matters much in the greater scheme of things. First off, most books are rated way higher than they should be so anything that knocks them down a bit is harmless. The other tidbit is that ratings are useless to begin with so what does it matter even if they get distorted?

ExiledMage and Nimroth like this.
  7. Lemonlyn

Lemonlyn ♥[ Incubus ] Onee-san Seducer♥

Reading List:
    Link
    I sometimes read trashy stuff knowing it's trashy so I can have a inner monologue abt how bad it is. Plus if you read it with the mentality of knowing it sucks it slowly becomes funny for some reason

8. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I need to remember which one I already read and which one I do like/not.
    Review can be good and bad, no?
    Or is there a rule of only good review is acceptable?

Seriously, when I really like the novel, it's hard to express myself to tell others how good the story is!

9. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ya, I come here for entertaining stories, not good ones. Bad stories does not stop it form being entertaining, just look at most prime time TV the stories are often horrible, but people still tune in.

Though I have dropped stories when things go beyond certain points, of the characters start making to many bad decisions. there is only so much stupidity I can stand.

10. Cream

Cream Cream

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe their mental scale is different.

On Goodreads, if you hover over their five-star system it goes something like:
    One star - I don’t like it.
    Two star - Okay.
    Three - I like it.
    Four - I really like it.
    Five - I love it.

I would say that most novels maybe hover around that “I like it” status.

11. Tsubaki -

Tsubaki - Unknown Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most people only bother to rate/review a novel if they really like or hate it. So yeah, if a novel is a 3/5 less people feel the need to share their opinion. Also, some topics are an absolute no-go for readers.
    As an example, the reasons for a negative review of the novel I translated include:
    - smooth sailing for the main characters for flimsy reasons
    - the thoughts and actions of the main characters are excessively evil / are incomprehensible
    - the plot's focus is on different things than expected (no cultivation or face-slapping)
    - the plot developing too quickly / the main characters falling in love too fast

Last edited: May 21, 2022
    ExiledMage likes this.
  12. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Well. They rate 1 star because they think the novel they read dont have the correct rating for them.
    Ie:
    A read a novel and think its mediocre a 3 star.
    A look up the rating and found its a 4.5 star novel
    "Wth its totally a 3 star, Im gonna rate it 1 star to downvote the rating so it reflects MY oppinion"

Or the extreme case of
    "WTH THIS HAS HAREM I HATE HAREM!" 1*
    "WTH THIS HAS BL I HATE BL" 1*

Some of which is
    This novel I enjoyed it a lot but the author does something I dont like that dissapoints me. The wrting is good but that plot kills it for me. 1*

13. aattss

aattss Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sturgeon's Law.

14. ExiledMage

Reading List:
    Link
    Omg its you i certainly remember you from 2021 with your unique pfp..

15. Nightenviel

Nightenviel Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think there's even some people who rate a novel 1 star, AND put alot in the number of chapters they've read just for you to realize that they've actually skipped alot of "useless" chapters and just skimmed the entire novel or even just blasting to the end and then judging the entire book.

ExiledMage likes this.
  16. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I once saw a review complain that something made no sense and was not explained, keep in mind that this was a setting aspect that did not actually need to be explained (or could be left untouched till they were a long way into the story) and just made the world more fleshed out. the chapter listed on the review was well after that aspect was explained, I think the review said like ch 30 or so, and it was explained in the early 20s...

Sometime it seem that the "reviewer" just puts whatever the latest chapter is (translated or Raw depending) according to Novel Updates, or says completed which stands out when you know the story is still ongoing when the review was made. Rather then admit they read a chapter, 2 tops.

17. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    I tend to avoid rating 1* unless the novel is completely incoherent, but tbh if I like a novel I forget to rate it because I'm too busy reading... So I usually only end up rating a novel when I read a certain number of chapters already and go to the novel page to put it in a reading list so I don't see new releases anymore. So my ratings tend to be on the low end, aside from the novels I'm only hiding because I've already read quite a few chapters on syosetsu.

18. Takutokun

Takutokun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is not directed towards me, or at least I think it isn't directed towards me, judging by the title, but I honestly do not want to read the kind of writing that would induce me to leave such a low rating (with a couple of exceptions). My mental scale for ratings goes something like this:
    • 1 star: Horrid writing as if it was an adult imitating a 4-5yr old's writing capabilities. Please don't read this unless the author is your family or honestly a little child.
    • 2 stars: Typos galore, random jumps with no logic, run-on sentences, and in general dubious writing. (For example I'll give you this "sentence" from a novel I tried to read recently:
      but now that I am thinking about it is kinda stupid, let me think about another idea then suddenly I remembered that this world focuses more on technology than entertainment and this is not my world so they have different movies and novels and etc... but my brain is not a super brain that can remember everything but I do remember good and amazing movies and etc... but I don't remember all so I will only tell parts of the movies then stop to make the gods excited to hear the rest of the story and want to know more about the story it will make them help me is the trails because if someone knows there best series author will die and they are the only one that can save them then they will do everything in their power to try and stop it actually remind me of a short story that I read in the earth called the 1001 Arabin night it about a sultan that loves his wife dearly but found out that she cheated on him he killed her but is broken-hearted.
    • 3 stars- 5 stars: From three stars up the rating, if I leave one, is more about how well the story is paced, the character development, and last yet far from least, how the resolution leaves you feeling.

ExiledMage likes this.
  19. ExiledMage

Reading List:
    Link
    This isn’t targeted at you lol, I just saw a user who rated all his reviews 1 stars which left me quite astonished to create this thread, I have long forgotten his username.

20. Mr gentleman

Mr gentleman Ok

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol cause they thought they found gold... but it turned out to be shi*.... disappointment is the main reason I'd say

ExiledMage likes this.