Discussion Korean nationalism in novel?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Nodeo Franvier, May 13, 2022.

1. Kemm

Kemm Custom title

Reading List:
    Link
    While saving face is something very typical of some Asian cultures, prior to WWII they used the scapegoat approach (which, BTW, they still use for more mundane things).

2. BeardyRABBIT

BeardyRABBIT <Not a Rabbit>

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think Korean were as extreme as CN Webnovel. KR Author usually just made KR being number 1 at everything or at least the best at something ( exemple, Solo Leveling), I mean the Main Character is from KR so it's almost guarantee that their country will be the number at 1 in some aspect in the Novel. But i seldom see KR Author shitting on other Nations as much as CN Webnovel author does. I've yet to see the extreme case of racisms or Nationalism (Like in Yama Rising) in Webnovel from KR. Much less japan, more often than not, Japanese author often made fun of japan, like being conquered by other nations or in the midst of some war or portray it in some bad light/bad government/ bad morality or being an Underdog (code geass, gundam).

whitespade likes this.
  3. Emissary Nouvelle

Emissary Nouvelle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Clearly you haven't read a lot since almost any cn Novel with a modern tag has racism in it.

Well I'd say you're completely wrong and ignorant and I could use countless examples to prove it but I don't want to wastw that much time on something and someone that isn't important.

Well I get you're point about patriotism vs nationalism. I forgot but Imagine it's a typo since I don't use the word patriotism often or even at all when talking about Chinese novels.

4. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    oh, you don't need to worry about it, since I spend everyday reading Chinese novels
    I do read my fair share of modern novels
    again, it may be simply because the types of stories we read are different.
    I read bl, and for the most part, the authors I read do not trash other countries.

Last edited: May 20, 2022
    aShinyVaporeon likes this.
  5. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You're just unimportant like all of us.
    No need to be rude and too opinionted that you lost your argument.

6. Emissary Nouvelle

Reading List:
    Link
    Bl. I see that would explain it.

7. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    I smiled to myself when I read your reply because I can't say i didn't expect this :blobpeek:

8. Emissary Nouvelle

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol everyone likes what they like. Although they're not my cup of tea I understand why someone would like them. Like people who like historical novels or drama. And from what I understand Bl is filled with everything, a lot of fanfictions and originals with many different tags and usually good storylines.

aShinyVaporeon and Amaruna Myu like this.
  9. LeniSnow

LeniSnow New Pretty Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nationalism is not that bad but Racism is. Nationalism is for the benefit of your country, can't blame you for that. East learned it after being exposed to western's idealogy of rampant militarism and nationalism, brought forth the "racial supremacy". You can be proud of where you came from and shout to the world how great it is but to shit on others countries is not right. Im not saying to forget but rather to stop the hate. I have many novels I read that no matter how great it is I had to stop because it wasn't the same after the action of the mc. Like beach I ain't reading a novel about a racist trash, it was a CN novel. Just a remark would have been fine but the mc made it hard for those people just because of their race.

I remember watching a documentary where kids in Korean elementary are required to draw a poster about the japanese oppression and make anti-japanese drawings. The kids, those poor innocent kids, conditioned to hate when they don't even know what they're drawing.
    But everywhere in this world, as long as racism is taught, it will always exist.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
    whitespade and Kaylee like this.
  10. sleepycaptions

sleepycaptions Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don’t care for patriotism and nationalism but I think a lot of people don’t consume content from outside their own country or know much about history. South Korea, Japan, and China aren’t the only countries to do this - just the ones everyone on this board knows about. It’s very common for writers to imbue their political opinions in to their story, and unfortunately that usually comes with a lot of xenophobia but it’s an accurate reflection of their opinions and the reality of the people we’re reading about.

Understandable to drop these stories if one doesn’t like such descriptions but I don’t think it hurts people to continue to read about such topics and learn about why these people have the opinions they do.

11. absenior19

absenior19 Neutral Rational

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbh just ignore nationalism if you want to enjoy novel. After all I think these novels were made for domestic market. Not overseas lol. Ik this cuz ik the opinion of people around me for Korean, jap, Chinese and so on. I even think, man that's almost racist. But then I think, forget it. Who cares

12. ansusta

ansusta Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it's not just korean , it's everywhere ,got used to it by now

13. Dr_H_16

Dr_H_16 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was wondering why this hadn't been thread locked after reading the first page, but now I understand.

Anyway, here is my ten-cent: Japan's habit to exaggerate their culture doesn't come from Japan as a nation but as Japanese people.

They like rice. They like sake. They like watching Sakura-trees blooming.

I'm oversimplificating things, but in my eyes they're just showing their love of their culture. Not unlike the Southeastern Asians who likes to compare the most crowded road/city, signature food, and arguing whose fried rice is better (though those almost always ended up being fried rice they made themselves without following any recipe).

All in all, I don't think I need to say why JP very rarely come up on the matter of Nationalism or Racism in their stories, unless you're especially seeking for it.

whitespade likes this.
  14. WisteriaBlues

WisteriaBlues New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well patriotism often racism in the novel and media it's somehow become inevitable thing in our current society. Be it from Eastern or Western, there always patriotism trait and it's can become racism. Tbh I feel quite irritating by this "extreme" level of patriotism in the novel I've been read but then again what could we as a reader do? But if we talk about worst offended then I'll pick Overgeared. I don't know if there is something more than that but for me it's quite annoying and I'm neither from Korea nor offended country.

15. dokja789

dokja789 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Solo leveling but its not the worste offender. The worste one got very rasict toward indians for no reasons. albeit i forgot the name of it

16. Kelsealoufromkalamazoo

Kelsealoufromkalamazoo [The Luckiest Sunfish]

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it is understandable to be angry towards Japan, they never really apologized for things like:
    1. The Japanese occupation of Korea (Joseon at the time)
    2. Rape of Nanking
    3. Bataan Death March
    4. Forcing women to become s** slaves for their army

I mean, this period of time was called the “Asian Holocaust” (even tho they killed twice as many as the Nazis did)

17. Kemm

Kemm Custom title

Reading List:
    Link
    Given that "Holocaust" means "massacre", but sounds fancier, it's mostly used to refer to a group of massacres or to a massacre too big to fit the common impression of the word, and it's particularly tied in the public mind to the WW2 era. It fits the bill to be named as such, and since it's mostly absent from Western schoolbooks (a short reference at most), it's understandable that we usually refer to the German Holocaust by dropping the "German" part and keep the "Asian" in Asian Holocaust.

18. amilhs

amilhs Moon Walker

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually I think the people that easily forgets are the file unlike Chinese...japanese...Koreans...idk if it's a good thing though..but still look us now...I think most probably if a war broke we'll not defend our country but others...we really don't have a sense of nationalism..

19. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm curious, the countries that had war, conquered and oppressed other nations or their own people but different tribe/race. Are those acts ever got written in their own history books for every children to read and know?

20. TundraDweller

TundraDweller Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've read few KR novels but I didn't notice too much nationalism. At least compared to CN novels. Chinese authors have no filter.