Mafia [Mafia] DotA Lynch Game Interest and OOC Thread

Discussion in 'Community Games' started by A5G_Reaper, Nov 8, 2016.

?

What to do in case of tie?

Poll closed Apr 14, 2018.
  1. No Lynch!

4.0%
  2. Lynch a random in the tie!

12.0%
  3. Lynch a random outside the tie!

24.0%
  4. Lynch ALL ties!

28.0%
  5. Decide every game differently!

32.0%
  1. Zone Q11

Zone Q11 『The Gas Mask』『Monochrome Plebeian』

Reading List:
    Link
    @AliceShiki, would you play an FM game if I were to host a small setup with a 24/24 phase?
    Alternatively: Do you happen to be available around July 11th?

2. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Small setup means how many players?
    In any case I think I can play with 24/24... I don't think my performance will be that good (because I have accepted the truth that I'm bad at Mafia), but I can try my best at least~

And I should be free around July 11th~

iampsyx and Zone Q11 like this.
  3. Zone Q11

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe a 10'er. Cream's 13'er setup should probably be reserved for another date.
    \o/
    That's fine~
    I just... miss seeing you play FM.

4. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    10 people 24/24 seems good to me! \(^^)/
    :aww::aww::aww::aww::aww::aww::aww:

Yeah, I took a big break because it's too time consuming and because I realized I was just bad at this kind of game, but like... Hey, it can be fun! I can try again!

Reminder to self: Nobody does Vote Count Analysis on NUF. Never vote for your allies if you're scum. You lost too many games because of that already.

iampsyx and Zone Q11 like this.
  5. Zone Q11

Reading List:
    Link
    ...it is oddly scary how this is true. Technically, only a handful does this, but I don't recall people using VCA as a strong argument to push others out.
    Eh... debatable. Distancing is okay, as long as you don't make it too obvious.

A good example of distancing is at Bot FM #27, when Lissi parked her vote on Devils Advocate for basically the entirety of D1.
    I had completely townread Lissi for that, but even when I had some doubts about my townread on her, I had never expected Lissi/DA to be W/W.

--by the way, you might want to check out Psyx's signature. There are some interesting lessons that she had written in it that might be useful to you.

6. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, well, I just lost count of how many games I lost when I was one of the first people to vote on a Mafia member in most times a Mafia member was lynched.

Like, I'd get not trusting my vote much if I was one of the last to join the bandwagon, but when I was one of the first time and time again and it never amounted to anything... I decided to just give up on voting scum friends.

7. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    More people should. I don't know how but somewhere along the way we stopped it XD
    There's cases in the past where it would have helped. I only remember @TiggerBane doing it recently, atleast publically.

8. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah... T.T

I'm not that good at reading and deceiving people, so I prefer to rely on game mechanics to try proving my innocence... I feel lost when I can't use the mechanics for it! >.<
    It would have definitely helped me win as scum at the very least~

Zone Q11 likes this.
  9. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    Math got Wake out through VCA, I think. I forgot which game, but that was the only in-depth example I remember in 'recent' memory.
    I mean, I think it depends on the situation? If I just parked a vote on flipped scum or something early on but didn't do anything outside of that, I wouldn't expect to get townread. It's only if I contributed to the wagon by pushing it that I'd expect towncred. I think VCA is nice, but VCA in the context of 'they voted here early, they are likely town' alone isn't really helpful. But if you combine it with a strong push...! Win! :cookie:

Zone Q11 and iampsyx like this.
  10. iampsyx

iampsyx Have some rest, and let's do better tomorrow

Reading List:
    Link
    Rather than VCA it was wagonomics? Not sure about the definition of the latter, but iirc Math vs Wake was not about the numbers/who were in the wagons per se (which is what you usually deal with in VCAs) but the nature of the wagons: Wake and Furnace were the top wagons, 4 people of unknown alignment got Furnace yeeted, and all 3 people who voted Wake were town. Hence, Math's theory states, there is at least 1 wolf in Furnace wagon who tried to save wolfbuddy Wake.

But yeah, I agree. @AliceShiki Unfortunately, it's not just enough to vote for a wolf (or many wolves) to be read as town nowadays. You also need to have a good reason for voting them. If you were the one leading their wagon/being the loudest voice especially with major pushback from other players, you get more townie points (as long as it doesn't seem staged).

Here's an article about wolf tells: https://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/threads/25633-Fundamentals-of-Scum-Hunting-(Looking-for-Feedback)

Lissi and Zone Q11 like this.
  11. iampsyx

Reading List:
    Link
    Mm that might backfire on you, and you get called out for doing wolf theatre or having TMI. :blobsweat_2:

12. TiggerBane

TiggerBane Always asleep yep yep yep| Canidae lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Nightlily used vote analysis on Tilgarial in that last game with his hammer and end of day.

the game before that I didn’t use any vote analysis I was looking into what Glass had said and if there was any apparent and readable reason to kill Glass of which as I’d thought at the start there was not one.

Generally VCA give so little information they are relatively pointless to look at cause you can make an argument either way.

Last edited: May 22, 2022
  13. iampsyx

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you'll do great in role madness games (where everyone is a power role)! blobmelt_thumbs

14. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    It's usually hard for me to have good reads on people and have any strong reason to try pushing for anyone in particular, so that doesn't work out for me even when I'm town! >.<
    Too much complicated stuff... I honestly don't think I can make use of anything in this thread, even after reading all the comments... >.>
    TMI? Wolf theater?

So many confusing terms... o.0
    I think the only times I do well on Mafia are when I get a Doc role tbh... Pretty sure I always got at least one protection right in every single game I was a doc.

I don't think I've done that well in role madness games...

15. Zone Q11

Reading List:
    Link
    TMI = Too Much Information
    For example, when A says that B is Town with 100% confidence, and C asks A why, A would then answer "my gut says so".
    That was not A's gut. A is just a mafia who knows that B is Town.

Wolf theater = Whenever two dires / mafia / wolves fight against each other. Whichever side loses, the other side will look better.

16. iampsyx

Reading List:
    Link
    :blob_patpat: (I know the feeling xD)

TMI is usually a slip-up someone makes due to having information other players don't have at that point in time. For example, this game I knew beforehand that there was at least 1 vigilante because it was stated in my role (vigi loses their ability if I healed them), while Tilg knew it because his teammate was one.

Tilg saying on D2 that he healed himself during N1 because he was scared of being shot by a vigi is TMI (since only revealed role at N1 was a doc).

TMI on another person's role, alignment, behaviour, etc doesn't necessarily mean someone is a wolf, but it's pretty suspicious especially if they can't properly explain how they got that info in the first place.

ReaderReader likes this.
  17. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    I see I see~
    Ah, that can be fun~

I remember playing a Mafia-like game recently with some friends who aren't used to stuff like Mafia and the like... I remember at one point being able to use an investigative power (the power was used openly and in front of everyone, so like... They knew that I did use the power) to guarantee that a given player is Town/Mafia, and I was a Mafia member... I used it on my teammate and said that they were Mafia.

This instantly made my friends decide that either I was Mafia or the person I investigated was Mafia... So I ended up getting lynched, and my friend was able to win the game from there~

It was really funny, and it only worked out because they didn't even consider I could have actually said the truth when I got the results of my investigation.

This would have probably flopped if they were more experienced, but... Hey, I had fun with that~

There is a charm in playing with newbies, ehe~
    I see I see~

iampsyx likes this.
  18. iampsyx

Reading List:
    Link
    Wolf theatre is a "staged play" performed by the wolves to distance from each other and make it seem like they're not teammates. This could be done by fighting, voting each other, actually getting the other person lynched/yeeted, rebutting the other's arguments, etc. It could be planned during a previous night phase in games with night-only mafia chats (ie planned during N1 and performed on D2) or spontaneous (performed during D1).

ReaderReader and AliceShiki like this.
  19. osieorb18

osieorb18 Queen of Sugar

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah but Math's sister is pretty much the queen of VCA so Math using it isn't surprising.

20. Devils Advocate

Devils Advocate The Waffle King

Reading List:
    Link
    Math's sister....

[​IMG]

is statistics?

Tilgarial, osieorb18, Lissi and 2 others like this.