Spoiler (BL) Old Injury 陈伤

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by gnessa14, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Attica

Attica Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So... I ended up finishing the novel after all! It was less depressing than expected (though still heartbreaking at times), since overall the MC tried to keep a positive outlook on things. It does help that the worst events all happened in the past, and we only see glimpses of them through flashbacks.
    And of course events got better after he ran away midway through and they had a proper reconciliation. The ending and extras in particular are very sugary sweet <3

Overall, this novel did its complex multifaceted characters quite well, since you can see how the environment shaped these characters into the twisted versions of themselves that they are today.

Like I actually enjoyed the human flaws of MC’s mom’s character a lot: she was a huge narcissistic scumbag who used her son as a tool so many times. But to some extent, it was society that shaped her into an ambitious gold digger, since she never thought betas could be anything more than that. She did try to take care of MC on occasion, even if that often manifested as making him do unpleasant things against his wishes for ‘his own good’. Ex: when she made MC get the abortion, her reasoning was that when she gave birth to MC back in the day, she and MC both ended up suffering since she was too young to take care of him properly. (And it’s later revealed that out of some warped act of kindness, she was the one who told the doctors to keep MC’s womb in, leading to his miraculous second pregnancy.) Her logic is always twisted and distorted, but it’s sadly in line with the values of this fucked-up society.

For another example of a surprisingly complex character... ML’s dad Luo Qinghe is a dick who brutally whips his own son and forced ML to have a child with his own half-brother. It’s especially fucked up because as mentioned before, Luo Qinghe’s own life was effectively ruined by the forced bonding between him and a Xia family omega. In this way, the previous victims became another generation of perpetrators, repeating the cycle.
    But he clearly does love ML’s mother Song Xiao, to the point where his violence towards ML is a result of his immense resentment towards Song Xiao “abandoning” him and their son. It’s implied that him forcing ML to have a child was his twisted version of “revenge” on Song Xiao, re-enacting his own trauma, kind of like “if I had to suffer and get trapped in my family’s business, your son must do the same.”
    Still, in the end, he’s motivated to join politics and lead a Beta Equality Movement to break the cycle. He publicizes the Gland-removal surgery and undergoes it himself. In the extras it’s left rather ambiguous whether he and Song Xiao ever totally reconcile, but MC seems to think they’re sloooowly getting there.

On the other side of the coin, Song Xiao himself was stuck in an absolutely horrible situation: the love of his life was forcibly bonded to a random omega. This meant Luo Qinghe was now physiologically incapable of being attracted to anyone besides that omega. Even though Luo Qinghe professed his love and insisted he wouldn’t give up on making it work with Song Xiao, Song Xiao witnessed Luo Qinghe suffering (“locking himself inside a room, howling and roaring like a beast”) every time his heat rolled around due to being separated from the omega.
    None of Song Xiao’s options in this situation were good. He chose the one that seemed best at the time: running away to live a wandering poor photographer’s life, leaving his husband and son behind since that way at least they would be able to live in luxury, right?
    But Luo Qinghe ended up badly hurt since Song Xiao didn’t ask his opinion with this decision or trust him to at least try. And Song Bolao (ML) grew up yearning for his mother, resenting Song Xiao for abandoning him, feeling incredibly trapped and depressed in this family that treated him like a breeding stallion.

....Damn their society was suuuuper fucked-up lol

2. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @gnessa14 Thank you for the spoilers!
    It's a lot, but you said it's just a portion, wow this novel has a lot in it!
    I dont mind MTL, and having spoilers of what's going on will help me tremendously when I dont understand what's going on on certain things. That way, I can actually remember what I read/happen in the story XD If not, I might feel discourage to keep MTL ehehe

daviemae, Xu Zhiqing and gnessa14 like this.
  3. Shorng

Shorng Rotten BL Fan

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m so frustrated. Throughout the story, MC suffered too much, theres so much drama and I don’t mind it but their ‘misunderstanding without communication properly’ is just too much of a problem and it’s annoying because it’s all there is to it in this story. I would have read it if ML had awoken from his mistake being unreasonable and apology earlier than this. Even though he had suffer much but putting everyone under the same catalogue just because of his own ‘stupid-logic’ I hate that! I hope he could have suffer more under all those drama. Everything is just annoying and stupidly sad! (;´༎ຶД༎ຶ`)

renieRabbit likes this.
  4. byunnie

byunnie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just closed my eyes to the main plot and focused on the extras. Is soooo FLUFFYYY one thing i loved was the fact that the ML wasn't jealous of his children and tried to fight with them for his partner's attention, novels with those ML's always seemed so ridiculous to me. Imagine being a child and wanting to talk to your mother but your father either glares hatefully from the distance or throws you into boarding school..wack

5. BadAllDay

BadAllDay Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you so much for all the very detailed spoilers! Contrary to what some people already said, I come looking for spoiler threads to actually *know* spoilers, if I just wanted a couple of facts of the whole story, I would read the blurb only. So to me, the more the better. I hope your fingers are ok, though, LOL. <3

By the way, the manhua based on this novel just released. I may follow the manhua and later the novel, if the ML doesn't get on my nerves. This sort of story are not my favorite but the art style is very pretty.

6. lailai

lailai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for letting me know that the manhua got released! I haven’t had the guts to start this due to shock of ML having a kid with his half bro.

Xu Zhiqing and BadAllDay like this.
  7. gnessa14

gnessa14 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the news. I looked up the comic (https://manga.bilibili.com/detail/mc29755). It's just weird how the MC has silver hair since I always think he has black hair.

BadAllDay likes this.
  8. Nessi

Nessi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ML's father is the most disgusting thing ever...he himself was the victim once...but he forced ML with ML's blood related step brother...it's more disgusting than those old mans who forced him...and what's with that step bro, if you want to have a baby than find anyone why r*pe your blood related brother...so disgusting...

LQ is a hypcrite...oh u can control your Alpha instincts???hahaha...than why did you mark some omega in first place if you could control them???I don't blame SY, what can he do other than leave, tho I wish he had taken our shitty ML with him so that he'll be less shittier and not abused...it totally serves LQ right if he didn't gain SY's forgiveness...that b*sterd deserves it and more...I hope Zhu Li,LQ and all the other b*tches who didn't die already to go die in a ditch and rot there...ML step mom and step bro are dead already dead but I wish them death once again...
    I wish our poor MC,Momo and his new sis,SY and (reluctantly)ML happiness...ML I don't think he repented enough for all the pain he caused to the MC but I'll tolerate him for MC,Momo and his sis...

renieRabbit likes this.
  9. Krsmanovic

Krsmanovic Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you so much for spoilers❤❤❤❤

10. Nitrojean2357

Nitrojean2357 New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Guys I'm new here. Can I ask where have you been reading the english version of the novel "Old Injury"? Please help me.

11. gnessa14

Reading List:
    Link
    Everyone here MTL'ed it.

12. gnessa14

Reading List:
    Link
    Pompina likes this.
  13. renieRabbit

renieRabbit Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I love that MC achieved happiness but I wished that Zhu Li that bitch would have suffered more. Like a detail plan on how to make his life more miserable and I wish that Yan guy who was that bitch's victim will be together with his lover.