Chinese Social Credit System

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ardna, May 26, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ardna

Ardna [Avid slacker]

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi there!
    I'm searching for people who could tell me more about Chinese social credit system (more than what's on Wikipedia and so). How does it work? Is it really helping the society? :hmm:

Well, I need it for one of my Uni's projects and time's ticking... :blobdizzy:

2. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When you do projects like these, you really, really, really have to be sure that your ideology does not end up contaminating the subject matter. Just be careful on that or you'll just end up China bashing and we have no lack of talking heads that do exactly that just for popularity. My recommendations is to separate the topic into 4 sections. 1- Pros, 2- Cons, 3- Practical results/enforcement and screwups and finally 4- Concluding evaluation.

It's actually the Chinese "government" version of the US credit rating/score system, just given a bad name. I mean, it functions exactly the same, just with a "China" brand to it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credit_score_in_the_United_States

The "Social" word in the name is a red herring caused by "Lost in Translation". Or in this case "Added in Translation".

Actually, a lot of the news articles are themselves very biased to their own ideology and on this specific topic, massively prone to hyperbole and "what-might-happen"isms, a lot of the reactions on the topic are visceral and based on dystopian fantasy novels rather than what is actually happening on site. It's just a credit rating system like every home owner has to go through before getting a mortgage, just with more "government". They have to do it by "government" because they don't have credit tracking companies like we do in the West, their private companies do not have such reach across the whole country, hence their government has to do it or no one else can.

Last edited: May 26, 2022
    Anon2.0, otaku31, asriu and 5 others like this.
  3. Slief

Slief Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha, that's why you never take what the media/governments says about other countries/ethnicities at face value.

4. Ardna

Ardna [Avid slacker]

Reading List:
    Link
    Fear not, I have planned to do it matter-of-fact way. It's not for me to judge, but the concept itself is undoubtedly interesting as I live in country foreign to such systems.

Yeah, I've seen that. Well that's why I thought of asking someone who actually lives with it or is somehow connected.

I see.
    Hmmm I guess I should have specified question; how does it look like in day to day life?
    Just keep in mind that the only place I've read/heard about it were some social lectures/publications :blobsweat_2:

5. RealSaMu

RealSaMu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Edited: Way I understand it. If you don't say anything bad (about CCP) you don't get demerits. If you do something good that benefits the community you get social credits (kinda like a nationwide street cred). You get enough demerits you stop getting access to public utility, or you disappear, apparently. Chinese social credit system is not like US credit system since they are 2 different forms of gov running that system

Ardna likes this.
  6. Ardna

Ardna [Avid slacker]

Reading List:
    Link
    Exactly, people are more informative and a lot more wonderful :blobsmilehappy:

7. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    QFT.
    And this is the exact problem of what I mean by misrepresentation. It's a FINANCIAL tracking tool that ended up with some random functions tagged on. It is NOT a community charity works program. It functions mainly to prevent bankrupts from running across their "region" borders to escape from their creditors since their "regions" function like our States and there is separation in laws between the regions. Remember, China is as large as the US and they need the same control systems, more or less. Don't forget that the "Social Credit System" also measures government departments. So are you going to tell me that they are going to judge, say, Immigration and Border Control based on how much "good works" they are going to do?

Of course, disclaimer, like individual states, some regions in China add to the list of things in the "Credit Score" but like the difference between the Federal Government and the State Government, that is local to the State/Region rather than part of the Chinese Federal government.

Ardna, Lissi, RealSaMu and 2 others like this.
  8. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The US government doesn't run the credit score in the US, private companies do, so it's not 2 different forms of government. If you ever have Credit problems in the US or Canada you have to talk to those companies to fix your Credit. And they do get it wrong sometimes which can screw your life up for years.

9. RealSaMu

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the clarification. Though it's not just a financial tracking tool, maybe it was in the beginning but it's critics say otherwise. If it was, then the banking institutions could have handled it by themselves. China social credit system is a joint operation by the executive gov, the judiciary, security orgs, and financial institutions. People with low rating get squeezed by all four of those.

But hey, China #1 right

10. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    I am pretty sure @Nightow1 is from the US, so I am not sure why you need to add "China #1". :hmm:

Lissi and Nightow1 like this.
  11. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    The problem with taking "the critics"s word for it is that they are no different from 2 different parties in the government, one side will shade the actions of the other in the worst possible light with innuendo, selective exclusion of information and sometimes even outright invent stuff to throw shit on the opposition. "Opposition Parties" are the absolute last people you want for an unbiased viewpoint of the faction they are "opposing". Hell, on this very topic, there are already heaps of counter-claim articles, Western ones no less, rebutting what the scare-mongering faction has published. You should go take a look at the complaints about how twisted the "critics" got it.

And don't forget, Obama is a Muslim from Kenya. That is how badly an "Opposition Party" can twist the truth. Fair play also compels me to add "Trump works for Russia" to the list of shit throwing.

China #1 my fucking ass, I just don't like being lied to and there is a fraction of the Western media doing exactly that, shading something that isn't what they say it is into something they want YOU to attack their "enemy" for. To do their dirty work for them. Don't get used by these kinds of people. GIGO. Garbage In, Garbage Out. Without proper information, proper decisions cannot be made, something these writers do not want you to get or do.

Trump, Vanidor, RealSaMu and 2 others like this.
  12. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    Quora~
    yeah there some very good answer with source and stuff on Quora where you can use as starting point~
    iirc the "social credit" system is different hmmm multiple system depend on the provider of the system, currently china government on going attempt to make common "value" or "standard" so there no too much difference among exist systems~
    its like on USA different bank use certain way to give "credit point"
    some say if they leave it to bank system it may end up as USA disaster credits system so china government try to make some standard~
    while critics have good point o evaluate considering china reputation on global politic stage imo just regard it as grain of salt~

PROC have quite different value to run their country which sometimes clash with hmmm western value~ oh well to each own~

13. Slief

Slief Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Since when was Obama a Muslim? Bro swore on the Bible when he got into his presidency.

As a Muslim that is like the most heinous crime you can commit since In the Quran it says "There is only one god" and to swear on another religions holy book is like saying "nah I believe in this God too"

He also started so many wars that were unneeded and just for that he would go into the deepest layer of hell.

RealSaMu likes this.
  14. RealSaMu

Reading List:
    Link
    "Opposition Party" "Scaremongering faction" "Fraction of Western Media"? We're all adults here so feel free to say the name of the political and ideological faction that is, you know, the Opposition dun dun duuun.

You pretty much admitted that your source of info is one-sided so I guess I'll stop egging you. Just know that the critics have a point. The China social credit system may very well what you say it is, FOR NOW, but thinking that it won't change to become a tool for the corrupt is naive. The fact that there are knowledgeable people already sounding the alarm should catch your attention.
    What's so bad about China gov implementing these on their own country? If it stays in their country then I have no say in the matter. DEManding elements in the current admin are all about copying China though

If you're in Univ and this is part of your report, I think you should err in the side of caution and go with what Nightow1sissy said. Universities are not friendly to certain opposing viewpoints

15. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    @Nightow1 is saying that's what Republican media has been claiming since Obama became a presidential candidate. He's giving out examples of the media publishing news without fact-checking or just outright slandering. :facepalm:

Vanidor, Nightow1 and Slief like this.
  16. Slief

Slief Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Aha ok.

17. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you an idiot? China bashing is not limited to one party and the opposition I was talking about is the opposition to the CCP. Did you derail your thoughts into US politics? Or is the Democratic Party or the Republicans going to run for Chairmanship of the CCP in the next election?

Better a "sissy" than someone who can't think for himself and got conned. Note the past tense. Conned as in "has been cheated already". The critics DO NOT HAVE A POINT because of one key fact. They were using screwed up translations and assumed that "Social Credit" is social behavior instead of financial credit score because that term used has a different meaning on the other side of the ocean. And since YOU made the same mistake, you're also one of those that was using a screwed up translation to end up with a messed up conclusion. And are now trying to fight to the death to defend your wrong hill. Just FYI, even if you fought to the death... it's still the wrong hill.

18. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not exactly on topic but years ago my mom (we're Canadian) tried to explain to me that Obama is Hindu. So it wasn't just Muslim, there were other claims flying around. She used to eat up all kinds of fake Facebook 'news' posts like they were candy.

19. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    I found some Western viewpoints from Westerners living in China that might help.

https://thediplomat.com/2021/07/chinas-social-credit-system-fact-vs-fiction/

20. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Right, so this breaks multiple forum rules. The most significant being: no politics.

This is a forum for novel enthusiasts, not a place to discuss China's social credit system. You also shouldn't take anything you hear here - positive or negative - about the system as reliable in any way. "Random Stranger on Novel Updates' Forums" is not a credible source that you can cite for your project.

UnGrave, RealSaMu, Mnotia and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.