Discussion Healthy diet(not weight loss)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Jojo775, Jun 2, 2022.

1. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    It has come to my mind that maybe I'm eating too much and it's making me tired. To be clear and I eat whenever I'm hungry so 4-5 times a day.
    So 2 things I learned, I probably shouldn't eat whenever(though I don't eat before sleep at least) and I have no idea if I eating too much of something and too little of other food I need.
    I mostly eat healthy and varied food, but I'm not measuring or planning it. I've done away with pasta but still I can feel tired and then I heard Joe Rogan talking about kino diet and how he doesn't feel the need for naps anymore, or having trouble getting out of bed.

I looked it up but what the hell, even rice and fruit and oats and honey are out in this diet.
    Just eggs, meat, fish, vegetables and berries doesn't seem viable to me, what is there to snack and constantly having to fry food?

25th bamm likes this.
  2. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    Healthy eating is such a scary rabbit hole. Humans aren't made to live in, and eat, what the modern, or even post-agricultural revolution society has to offer. We eat too much meat, we eat too much sugar, we eat too much of the processed stuff, we eat things that normally wouldn't find their way into our stomachs.

3. Deleted member 456425

Deleted member 456425 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Reminds me that I should get fruits when I go out later.

I think the two hardest part of eating healthily for me is eating just enough and eating right. I don't mind fruits and veggies but they feel like extra work sometimes (I cook). And when there's good food, I get more rice than usual, or maybe eat more serving than usual.

4. Ak0w

Ak0w Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Similar problem for me, getting a varied enough diet. Making sure I’m getting all the nutrients and minerals that my body needs.

Recently, I found out my diet was nearly devoid of calcium. Not too surprising considering I eat the same thing for every meal. Literally 95% of the time my veggies consist of broccoli. The other 5% is Brussels sprouts and kale. Which are a part of the broccoli family... rest of my diet is similar. A Single group of foods.

After getting some calcium supplements I felt much more energized and could actually exercise without collapsing afterwards. Which is great but now I’m wondering what other vitamins and minerals I’m missing from my diet...

And remember, diet(the weight loss kind) is spelled “die” with a “t”

Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
  5. Miercing

Miercing deep crimson shall descend from heaven

Reading List:
    Link
    have a fast, maybe?

If you're not strong enough, don't do it too often, do it on Mondays and Thursdays, or once 2 days

6. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    An easy to follow guideline is: 50% fruits and vegetables, 25% protein, 25% wholegrain. If you're hungry between meals, eat fruits. The fiber will make you feel full and fruits don't contain much calories. Do not make smoothies.

7. Elementarteilchen

Elementarteilchen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honey and fruits are full of sugar. Of course fruits are also healthy, but they are nothing more than sweets plus the extra portion of vitamins.
    An average apple weights something around 200 g and 100 g apple contains around 10 g sugar.
    That means you eat 20 g sugar with just one apple. An adult shouldn't eat more than 50 g sugar per day and the best case scenario is, you shouldn't eat any sugar, because it's not necessary for the body.
    If you want to eat really healthy you should reduce your sugar intake to 20-30 g per day.
    I recommend you the youtube video "fat chance: fructose 2.0" and you will understand how dangerous fructose and sugar really is.
    That doesn't mean you shouldn't eat any fruits at all, because they do contain vitamins and fiber, but treat them as sweets and not as food in a regular diet.
    The sugar intake should be the number 1 priority in a healthy diet.
    Of course Rogan will get rid of the sugar bombs and will take his vitamins with foods, that contain a lot less sugar, such as berries.

8. ongoingwhy

Reading List:
    Link
    Do not avoid fruits. There's a huge difference between natural sugar and refined sugar.

https://theconversation.com/if-sugar-is-so-bad-for-us-why-is-the-sugar-in-fruit-ok-89958

Jojo775 and Kairil like this.
  9. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Try to remove sugar and don't eat too much fruit. Fruit is bred sweeter by humans. It didn't use to be so sweet in nature. Salt is more necessary for humans anyway. A spoon of honey and 100-200g of fruit a day is plenty enough. And definitely no processed food and desserts. And no overeating. Your energy should come back then.

10. ongoingwhy

Reading List:
    Link
    Uh, I am not sure why you're advocating reducing fruit intake but recommend eating honey? How could anyone eat that much whole fruits anyway? I feel full from just eating one regular-sized apple. If I am feeling too lazy to prepare breakfast, I just eat a single apple. If you eat too much fruits anway, you wouldn't be able to eat regular meals.

11. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you mean keto diet? I've tried it and lost weight but it really messed with my stomach and digestion. Other people have no problems so you might be good. You'll likely need to take vitamins though.

The glycemic index is also interesting to look at if you haven't.

Jojo775 likes this.
  12. Elementarteilchen

Reading List:
    Link
    Your article is true, but here comes the catch. Read very carefully what they are writting and how they framed their article.

Fructose is sugar and the 50 g sugar for an adult per day applies to all sugar types, such as glucose, fructose, sucrose and lactose.

It's true, that fructose in f.e. syrups doesn't contain fibre, which is worse than fructose with fibre and of course 10 g syrup contains a lot more fructose than in 10 g apple, but it still doesn't change the fact of your 50 g sugar intake per day.

In the article they are basically saying, you can eat fruits without worries, because Cola is a lot worse and is the culprit for most diseases and not the apple. Well, they are true in a sense, because Cola doesn't have the fibre and there is a lot more fructose in 10 g Cola than in 10 g apple.
    You have to eat a lot more apples to get the same amount of fructose than Cola, that's for sure :D I agree on this part, but you still shouldn't eat more than 50 g sugar per day for a healthy life style and fruits are still sugar bombs and the fact that a cola is an atomic sugar bomb shouldn't have anything to do with your decision to suddenly eat more fruits.
    If you really have to, than eat the 5 sugar bombs, rather than one atomic sugar bomb without fibre and vitamins.

Also, fructose without fibre is the worst kind of sugar:

Jojo775 and Nightow1 like this.
  13. ongoingwhy

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you're misunderstanding something. The recommended daily sugar intake is specifically referring to free sugars. Also, 50g is actually much higher than what I've seen in some sources.

Like what I've said in another post, I don't understand how anyone could eat that many whole fruits to the point of eating too much sugar. I could replace breakfast with just a single apple and not feel hungry until lunch. If I ate any more, I wouldn't be able to eat regular meals. Of course, it's a different case if you're consuming stuff like dried fruits, fruit juice, and smoothies. Those should be entirely avoided.

Elementarteilchen likes this.
  14. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Drink more water, it's a good way to curb your hunger and the cheapest solution too. Don't forget your multivitamins, make sure it has Vitamin D and Zinc. It would be impossible to suddenly cut refined carbs, even if you can it would be miserable. So start by cutting it in half, and the other half would be peas.
    For fruits, bananas are great, a good source of calcium and potassium. Some citrus fruits are great too.
    For protein, white meat would be best. Chicken breast or fish.
    For leafy veggies, spinach would be great. It's the best option if you're on a budget. You could just dump it in your rice or protein as they're about to finish cooking. Pretty efficient imo.

P.S. The lethargic feeling you have is mostly caused by high blood sugar. A quick search of high GCI foods would help for foods you want to avoid. Pacing for at least 10 min after a meal would help control your GCI and reduce bloating.

asriu and Jojo775 like this.
  15. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    I did say 1 spoon of honey. It's for people who have a sugar craving.Better honey than a sugary snack. And I have some friends who can eat a 1-2kg of fruit a day, which I find excessive. It's good to eat some fruit, but 1 apple a day is more than fine.

ongoingwhy likes this.
  16. Elementarteilchen

Reading List:
    Link
    "The term “free sugars” was referred to in the 2002 WHO/FAO Expert Consultation as “all
    monosaccharides and disaccharides added to foods by the manufacturer, cook or consumer, plus sugars naturally
    present in honey, syrups and fruit juices” (3)."

Fructose is also a monosaccharide btw and fructose doesn't change it's structure just because it was added by the manufacturer. It's just, that the health benefits of fibre in fruit generally offsets the negative effects of fructose. Thanks for the link.
    I have to check my sources later.

Jojo775, ongoingwhy and Nightow1 like this.
  17. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Er.... like elemental said, you misunderstood the article. "Free" sugar and "natural" sugar are the same, it's just that "free" sugar is sugar that is added to things according to their article. Do you know where your "artificial" sugar comes from? Sugarcane, a plant. There is no such thing as a "sugar manufacturing plant", sugar is made when the juice of the plant is filtered and dried. That is your "refining" process. In short, "free" sugar IS "natural" sugar, just filtered from impurities. The problem is adding EXCESS sugar, not that "artificial = bad" like some neo-luddite.

asriu and Jojo775 like this.
  18. ongoingwhy

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, which doesn't include fruits...

...the sugar itself is the same thing but it makes a whole lot of difference how you're consuming it. The effect of consuming 10g of natural sugar from whole fruits and 10g of free sugar is not the same.

https://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/librar...y, fiber can help:,sugar in your target range.

19. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    I actually had breakfast of 3 apples, one pear and a pack of berries, until I found apples and pears make you fart. What the hell, I thought you could eat as much fruit as you want since it's healthy.

20. ongoingwhy

Reading List:
    Link
    How the heck do you eat that much? The most fruits I've ever eaten in one sitting was 2 large apples and that made me too full to eat anything else. Fruits are healthy but you need to eat a balanced diet.