I want to change my SSD.

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Shiki, May 31, 2022.

1. Shiki

Shiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    tagging the Expert: @runsing @xiazixin

So, I'm in the need of a new internal storage. My built in ones is SKHYNIX HFM512GD3JX013N. my laptop specification: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-...view-No-Extras-Just-Performance.546842.0.html. I'm wondering, since the slot is M.2 2280 PCIe 4 slot for the current one and Secondary M.2 2280 PCIe 3 slot according to the website. Well... Since my built in one is only 512GB, and I need a secondary one, should I put the 1 TB in the primary, and switch my current one to the second slot? any recommended brand?

2. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    what are your plans for the 1TB (as in what are you going to fill it with) ?

if it's just for storage, you don't really need the (more) expensive pcie gen 4 drives, truly.
    still, don't cheap out too much, and get one with DRAM cache and long warranty. few years from now, you can use it as external drive a la usb stick and still enjoy the rest of the warranty. at that time 2TB, or even 4 should (hopefully) be cheap enough to cost the same or even less than current 1TB

Shiki likes this.
  3. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    You should always opt for the cheapest quality ssd you can find. The real life difference between the best ssd and the worst one isn't that much. Because the real gain of ssds is the low latency access. Beyond that, it only starts mattering if you plan to move hundred gb around which isn't often.

Silver Snake, runsing and Shiki like this.
  4. Shiki

Shiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    right now, I'm using it for some data analysis and gaming. for my heavy storage use, I use online meeting recording (which I usually clean up by transferring it to external HD), as well as night light map data use in the current model I'm trying to build. I want to fit another game at least. but since they cost me about 40-70GB, my gaming cycle usually consists of uninstalling my current game and installing the game I want to play.

runsing likes this.
  5. Prometheus0000

Prometheus0000 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Keep in mind the PCIE 4 drives get way hotter than the PCIE 3 ones. That could certainly matter in a laptop.

runsing likes this.
  6. runsing

Reading List:
    Link
    this should be a good reference, though i don't know how often it was updated (or ever). most of it are self-explanatory, and the rest is nothing that a quick googling couldn't help you with. it doesn't list price (for obvious reasons), but it does hinted at the range with the inclusion of 'category'

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1B27_j9NDPU3cNlj2HKcrfpJKHkOf-Oi1DbuuQva2gT4/edit#gid=0
    just sort them in any way you need them

Shiki likes this.
  7. phobos

phobos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    last i bought a crucial mx500
    than again i just want to use it 50:50 for windows/ games with a lower requirements than you

if you know you are rather heavy on read/write cycles it would go for a ssd optimized for that

Greater thunder likes this.
  8. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The primary slots dose not give extra performance on Intel platform, if both your ssd are pcie3.0.
    There is no need to switch slots, but it doesn't really matters if you want to switch slots anyway.

As for brand I recommend Intel/micron b27 silicon. They are cheap, TLC although takes a powerful controller, but for pcie ssd they are decent.

9. Shiki

Shiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1 PCIe 4.0 and 1 PCIe 3.0

10. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    So your buying pcie4 ssd? It's not recommended right now.
    If not there is no reason to be picky about slots, but it's just 10 seconds if you want to change, no reason not to do it too.

11. Shiki

Shiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    the reason it is not recommended is? I'm still wondering about why I should or I shouldn't, actually.

12. Shiki

Shiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    when I asked the brick and mortar stores in my city, the price they offered for what classified as mid-range or entry level by runsing's list is just 10 USD cheaper than samsung 980 pro. I'm seriously contemplating just buying it if the difference is that cheap, honestly.

13. runsing

Reading List:
    Link
    usually, if the price is negligible between one that of higher specs vs the lower one, i'd compare the warranty, then the physical appearance (assuming it'll be in plain sight and/or not going to be obstructed by motherboard's own included heatsink, or laptop's limited space - otherwise there's no point to it)

write endurance, i usually ignore that, since it is quite unlikely anyone i bought them for would go over its limit within the warranty time. you'd need like 70-100GB/day constant usage for 3 years to even 'kill' a cheapo ssd. theoretically, at least.
    https://wintelguy.com/endurance-calc.pl

heat and price/performance (since there is mostly unnoticeable difference if it were only being used as bootdrive/game drive (see yt vid below)

but if as you say, the 980 pro is just 10usd more (which is not burdensome - to you) then by all means, go for it. that'll be my choice too if it were only that much.

FF to 4:58 to see the 100GB duplicate speed. pretty much where gen 4 shines (noticeably) over 3
    3:01 booting windows
    3:36 game load

14. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    Quite a different approach I would say, personally I'm more picky about the cost, the nand silicon it self and the controllers.
    If one product have the same nand and the controller and is slightly cheaper I'll usually go for the cheaper ones.

Usually your paying the most on the band silicon, thats where the majority of the cost gose.
    1 TB or band silicon cost like 80 to 90% of the ssd. Controller is the one difference the performance, for 1 or 2TB of ssd controllers made up of just a small percentage of cost.

I would recommend getting a good controllers. Though Samsung dies are historically not as good as micron, in io speed. But band price are all the same, as they are bid in a way like stock markets.
    You could go for Samsung if there are no cheaper ssd that provide a sm2262en controller and B27 band.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2022
  15. runsing

Reading List:
    Link
    after all, i'm not the one bearing the cost, so aesthetic + brand name would appear 'better' in most people's eyes and will make them happier and satisfied of my services.

personal use, on the other hand, i rarely use an item all the way to the end of their warranty, often i'd sold them and upgrade halfway through. again, aesthetic + brand name will play its part here.

16. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    True, a product of premium brand get to be sold easier for second hand.