Discussion Tell about your pet peeves in characters or plot set up in novels.

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Rubyspecs, May 25, 2022.

?

Recently I am particularly irritated by clingy naive sunshine shou either as Mc or side character

1. Nooo they are precious babies, needed to be cherished. *getting goosebumps while typing*

2. They get on my nerves wit emotions written all over their face, acting all flustered and crybaby.

3. Depends on plot and chemistry tho, if they are likable or not

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Rubyspecs

Rubyspecs Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Those particular highly dependent on others, untainted by evilness of society, acting all clingy, cute and flustered, reddening like tomatoes after getting easily embarrassed or flustered in n types of situation in n types of people, especially in front of the big bad wolf....uuuhhhh!

poploc likes this.
  2. twinfish

twinfish Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If they're well written, I will like any character type :blobuwu: but they have to be well written. even if the character fits my taste, if they're poorly written it's all moot. also depends on my mood.

Issis likes this.
  3. ngard

ngard Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Novels with those holographic helmets, where wearing them will take you into a virtual reality world. That premise in and of itself is ok, but when someone for example: transmigrates into to the world that has these helmets and they've previously gone through an apocalypse and have abilities from that world, and for some reason are able to use that ability in virtual reality?? How? This is a programmed game?
    Sometimes it is explained, but even when explained the reason tends to basically be "they can because they can", but most of the time the authors writes it as if it is a matter of course that they are able to do so, and it just really gets on my nerves.

Another thing would be when NPCs overreact to anything the main character does, like calm doown pleeease. Most of the time I'm not against an OP protagonist or revenge plots, and the only reason I don't really like the tropes they are in is only due to NPCs reactions that just go overboard:,(

asriu, whitenight2013 and Rubyspecs like this.
  4. rhianirory

rhianirory Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    nope, I hate unbalanced relationships!
    it always feels like the ML, whose almost always much older (10 yrs to hundreds of years depending on genre), is molesting and grooming someone with obvious mental disabilities which give them the IQ and EQ of a small child.

Steamc, poploc and Rubyspecs like this.
  5. NoLongerTheSame

NoLongerTheSame Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just recently, I dropped 2 webtoons because:
    a) The author is trying too hard to make the protagonist look badass/cool/edgy, whatever, that it just makes any fight scene cringy.
    b) A villain that is written to look so damn intelligent that he makes the other characters dumb when in truth, he is just a nutjob with a plot armor that is thicker than the protagonist's.

6. Esha07

Esha07 ☄your favorite meanie࿐ྂ

Reading List:
    Link
    1)Belittling MC to the point, I want to slap the assholes directly through my phone.
    Too frustrating.
    2) Cringy plots; that makes my teeth ache
    3) Making ML characterless ; C'mon let them breathe

poploc and Rubyspecs like this.
  7. Lemonlyn

Lemonlyn ♥[ Incubus ] Onee-san Seducer♥

Reading List:
    Link
    dumb and naive mc that should not be. like if they went through some shit... should they not be like at least smarter and not "oh this person is so nice to me I'll be super devoted!" they should be wary and be afraid. after all a ice block with a soft heart would not feel comfort at being chipped alway and have their armor taken. it would be painfully long to be able to reach the inner thoughts. not a fast thing

asriu, whitenight2013 and Rubyspecs like this.
  8. Accismus

Accismus Icarus

Reading List:
    Link
    Anything that simply defies basic common sense,
    Plot that makes no sense but is there because it's famous
    0 IQ characters.
    All chracters (villains) doing same thing over and over again.
    Repetitive plot.
    The only quality is having an extremely lewd constitution. (Just encountered it in 3 novels back to back didn't read further)

But what aggravates me most is, when any of the characters start going cringe. They start doing things that give second hand embarrassment.

poploc, whitenight2013 and Rubyspecs like this.
  9. Fireball7

Fireball7 New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Abusive relationships being pushed as normal. All genders are affected. I can count the number of women in novels and anime on one hand who are non-violent and sane. And I can count the number of male characters who are portrayed as having boundaries and self respect as near zero. Putting one side of the relationship up on a pedestal while acting as if the other side is lucky to be there is toxic.

10. whitenight2013

whitenight2013 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It really depends on worldbuilding for me. If the setting is even slightly heavy, then I agree with you. I want to yell at them to grow up. I don't mind it as much if the character acknowledges this is how the world is and tries to act all sunshine and rainbows in spite of that though. It is the ignorance that really bothers me.
    I also hate possessive leads who are initially established to be awful. It is a trend I have been seeing in a lot of Korean romance stories lately, and I hate it. I want to yell at them, "No! You already sank this relationship when you abandoned her with a kid. Back off!"

asriu likes this.
  11. prasantbagale

prasantbagale Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For me, it depends on these: Good World Building, Characters with common sense, Fewer tropes, and Less cringey

12. disacestar

disacestar Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It really depends on the execution of the character and the overall vibe the story is going for, but I generally dislike overly self-righteous characters who feel that they are always in the right, don't take responsibility over their actions if they harm someone, and even if they do something objectively terrible they are never in the wrong. It's worse if the people around them endorse and mindlessly agree with and defend them, and the story itself endorses their actions. So basically overly mary sue characters, the kind you can image becoming the villain of a Transmigration Novel where a cannon fodder character reincarnates to take revenge or the transmigrator takes revenge on the cannon fodders behalf

asriu likes this.
  13. Michelangelo

Michelangelo Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The trope usually annoys me, but I don't read too much into it. If it's done well and the characters are well written, then I may like them. A good example would be Zenitsu from demon slayer. He is an annoying, clingy, crybaby of a character, but he's reliable and knows what he doing(kind of). Another pet peeve would be the MC trying to act cool or edgy, but it only appears cringe asf.

14. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For a real child character? It's cute.

For those who are reincarnated/isekai-ed and is already an adult? It's annoying.

Blossom_Honey likes this.
  15. littleoctopus

littleoctopus White Lotus Slayer ✦ Villain Sympathizer

Reading List:
    Link
    naive and immature characters that cry for no reason and thinks the world owes them something - its especially annoying when they were written as mature and smart .

Blossom_Honey likes this.