Spoiler Plaything: The Toy of a Grand Duke

Discussion in 'Manga Discussion' started by Just_One_More_Chapter, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Mozzarella

Mozzarella Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Looks like I'm gonna have to pretend the side stories don't exist then. Just the happy ending main story, yep.

But also I wonder why the person who told you that keeps a tight lip about it. I mean, it's not like I can read the novel through official means even if I wanted to :| bc I for one don't speak Korean, and I highly doubt it's ever getting released in my country :|

If I had to guess, I'd say one of them dies. Or Sa-Yan has to marry a woman.

2. Mozzarella

Reading List:
    Link
    I doubt it would be the first option because
    the Duke's narrative doesn't revolve around him finding something to protect. Tbh it's more likely that Ilrick would die protecting him. Tbh I have a hard time figuring what his deal even is, considering we just get Ilrick's perspective. The Duke seems to be this mysterious and powerful character, an unattainable and irresistible force.

It could be the second, now that you mention. But I wouldn't be so upset if it ends like that. But now my guess is
    that it might end like New York New York, or like Banana Fish. God I'd hate that.

But I place my bets on Ilrick being separated from the Duke and living a lonely/sad life or even marrying that gf of his and having kids, but with the memories of his time with the Duke.

3. kieranfortier

kieranfortier Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Spoilers? Anyone? Ç_ç

I’m so unsure if the duke feels something for Mc. Sometimes I think he does, but then I’m not so sure… there are cold characters that can remain unfeeling and fake otherwise, I hate those the most (hidden danger).

AwanPutih likes this.
  4. AwanPutih

AwanPutih Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Spoiler please... What thats bittersweet things?? Its kind of Sus.. Please not something thats leave bitter after taste lik HHYL

5. AwanPutih

AwanPutih Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I kind of hear someone said about suicide notes... And thing likes get freedom after death for vol. 4 of this novel... Its freak me out.... Is he died? Coz of suicide??? Illic died???? Spoiler pleasee anyone?? Thats manhwa too slow for update and i can not buy that korean novel in my country... Its never be release here.... Even though i want to buy its so muchhhh....

Soo just answers my question that Sa yan would not do that kind things that make illic want to suicide right??? Or how this gonna happen?

6. Plumpuppeach

Plumpuppeach Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay I got some spoiler of the ending of the side story; it's gonna be quick and direct, I won't add everything

So llic and Sayan been together for 20yrs (10yrs then timeskip to another 10yrs)
    Ilic doesn't seem to see it as a full romance, he never said I love you to sayan but he knows after so many years that Sayan is his partner.
    Now llic has a dream and in the end of the dream Sayan dies, he wakes up.

So at the end of the story he's with Sayan (alive) beside him but he's thinking that all the things in the dream are happening in reality. So to put it this way, its foreshadowing that Sayan is to die sometimes shortly after the ending of the novel. It's also bittersweet because Sayan loves IIic but llic never really seem to be in love but the same he was (its kinda hard put, you would need read the novel to understand). [EDIT: oh I found the perfect phrase for this, it's that llic with never love Sayan the way Sayan wants him to love him despite them being together for so long]
    Some say he did die at the end but either way Sayan does dies despite him being alive at the end. It's also mention how he's sick but do keep in mind, at this time they are old

I won't go too deep but that pretty much it. This definitely a bittersweet ending. If you understand how llic feelings and how he
    never really reciprocate Sayan love for him even at the end

@Doofs
    @Mozzarella
    @Just_One_More_Chapter
    @kieranfortier
    @AwanPutih

Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
    mokimoo, AwanPutih, feng nao and 2 others like this.
  7. aashrobert

aashrobert New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So i partially read the last (6?) Extra novel chapters after purchasing them and Google translated them, here's what contrasts from what you said above, maybe I'm incorrect since I'm not a native korean speaker.

so yes some parts of his dream did come true but he did mention that "contrary to my dream, duke's health has improved and he doesn't complain about headaches anymore, and he seems much healthier because of the sex they have at night (i suppose?)"
    He even says that his dream covered the part where duke was sick with constant headaches before and followed by his death due to the illness but he then realizes its past that part since he's much better and still looks the same just that his hair has grown longer. Someone developed some medicine that helped the duke's health.

He basically had a dream and woke up crying because of many things like duke's death and in the duke's will, duke had said "protect elick from any enemies" "when duke dies elick is free" he's crying because he didn't exactly feel free even though duke died (in his dream). He is attached to the duke hence he cried after realizing it. Even in reality (when he woke up) it was the same thing written in the duke's will just those few lines.

Last line of the novel extra its sweet. ♡
    I kissed sayan alive in my arms.

I personally feel elick contradicts himself by saying stuff about duke in his head but deep down he does treasure him quite abit that the dream was haunting him.

Theyre quite old now and he doesn't bother having a family and all cause he is "old" he says but i feel he's just attached to the duke but wont admit it

8. Plumpuppeach

Reading List:
    Link
    Korean readers and I even ask them myself, that Sayan
    is hinted that he's getting sick and it's foreshadowing his death is upcoming after the novel ending

llic is definitely attach to Sayan but doesnt love him the away sayan wants him to love him. Not that he doesn't actually love him

ushii, AwanPutih and (deleted member) like this.
  9. congchua1301

congchua1301 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is this BL right? I remembered I saw raw complete of this novel but the name is different, only Play thing: The toy but my mother came so I leave and forgot about that.

10. AwanPutih

AwanPutih Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thankyou so much!!!!!

11. NovelenthusiastIDK

NovelenthusiastIDK Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why are you so stubborn about him dying soon, there was sth said about them being old and it not even being a reality, but a dream. I think it would be better to be more optimistic

Creolenerd likes this.
  12. catsforz

catsforz Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you very much!
    I read a lot of comments on the official page of the novel and could not understand why many people call the end not quite happy.

If someone can share the novel - I will be grateful

13. Plumpuppeach

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not being stubborn tf? That's literally what the author intended. Even Korean reader are saying the same thing. Yes they're old and yes it was a dream but that doesn't change the fact that the author is foreshadowing his death. That's why the novel is tag as bittersweet, it's a sweet moment but still sad given by two reasons the foreshadowing and llic loving him but not being in love with him. Im just replying what readers are saying and the ones who gave me the spoilers (who understand Korean fluently) plus the bits I reader too

Deleted member 449830 likes this.
  14. JJTG

JJTG Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    20 yrs together is not that long in term of life span, if they were 20s, theyre only 40s, which is not that old at all. I do not thinking they need to love each other at the same degree, having loved and be loved is already a blessing. Since I haven't ready the book, I'm curious how this uneven level of love is played out in writting. In the manwha, he is more tsundere in personality, doesn't mean he love less, just differently. And I do wonder why the author added this bittersweet extra chapter after a happy ending. It felt unnecessary, we know eventually they will grow out and die, but to hint it prematurely without additional chapter seems a bit cruel for the happy readers.

ushii and mokimoo like this.
  15. Mozzarella

Reading List:
    Link
    The manhwa just ended and I'm
    wtf?! What kind of shitty ending was that? It doesn't finish or ties up the story!/SPOILER]

16. mistressofmanderley

mistressofmanderley Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know! But it does say it will return with side stories, so hopefully that will help!

I have a few questions. I've seen bits and pieces of the novel, but nothing comprehensive.
    Who is Sasha? The name is mentioned as someone who lets Sayan know Ilic was crying.
    What happens to the guy Ilic was traveling with? The manhwa just ended without answering that. And IDK when we'll get side stories.

17. mistressofmanderley

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay, I have a theory (and anyone who's read the novel, please confirm or deny). Sayan was at least present when Miles was killed, and he possibly finished Miles off.
    1. First of all, Sayan knows too much to not have either been there himself or had a spy who was there. Miles dying with an erection wouldn't have told Sayan that Ilic was the one who killed Miles.
    2. Sayan lists off Miles' crimes to Pavak, implying he was at least aware of what Miles was doing before his death and possibly was even having him investigated.
    3. I'm less certain of this one because clearly Ilic stabbed Miles. But in the last chapter, Sayan says, "If you had killed him, I would've had just as much part in it." This could be an awkward translation, but it's a strange way to say it if Ilic killed Miles. Ilic never denied killing Miles (to Sayan, at least). So why the "If you had" when they both know Ilic did it? Barring a translation error, my theory is that Sayan (or a guard) was there that night. Why, IDK. But he saw the thing that went down between Ilic and Miles. After Ilic left, Sayan realized Miles was still alive and finshed him off (although he likely would have died anyway).

18. chrysaki

chrysaki New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that obviously Sayan knew what happened and he describes it like he was there. So he could have a spy there or even better it is truth what he told to the father...that Sayan went that day there to find Miles and kill him himself obviously with some of his knights, because Miles was creating problems and he maybe was even conspirancing against the duke but when he got there he saw Illyc killing him, so what duke says is that this is not important whoever of them killed him, the result is the same, the duke wanted Miles dead , he would kill him, Illic is obviously a duske person, so whatever Illic did the duke is evolded and the opposite...they are together in this. They are together generally actually

This is because Illics character is generally in denial, he cannot accept that the duke loves him. He sees himself as a big and ugly commoner and he thiks that the duke is fooling with him. Actually he gets jealous , he cares obviously about the duke and his enviroment, he protects him even getting himself in risk but he does not want to accept it because if he accept it and the duke leaves him, he will feel hurt.

but we saw how he felt when he discovered that besides the fact that the duke was in love with him he needed him for political reasons. While he was calling the duke lunatic, because he wanted to spend time with him in the village in all this political fuss, then he was like you are a liar you do not love me , you came here just for the pope. He is the only thing you care about, this is jealousy. A person who is not in love would not be hurt by something like this, because obviously the duke had reasons to go in the village, Illic knew this, but because he was in love he does not think rationally, he feels he is not a priority. So if all this was a contract or a blackmail for Illic he had no reasons to throw a do not love me tantrum...

the meaning of the chapter i think is that Illic realized that he loved the duke when he got ill and he got afraid that he will die, then that he had nothing to lose he accepted that he loved him. now if he died or not, it is an open ending because we can decide this and actually it does not matter so much because it is a matter of character development... Now if it is the dukes fault that Illic does not trut him or this was Illics character, i do not know...

Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
    mistressofmanderley likes this.
  19. Nergal777

Nergal777 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  20. mistressofmanderley

Reading List:
    Link
    [QUOTE="Nergal777, post:
    In spanish[/QUOTE]
    Thank you!

Okay, so I haven't read the whole novel. I used Word's translator to translate it to English, but it's very rough. I'm sure there are errors, such as when Sayan or Ilic exclaims, "Iced Coffee!" when cumming , but...
    • Sayan is even more insane than the manhwa leads us to believe. I did see somewhere that he has a voice in his head who he calls Sayan. That is true, but he also has a "hobby room" (aka torture chamber).
    • In the manhwa, you may remember a guard named Beize who is ridiculously loyal to Sayan. He attacks Ilic in the training room because he's angry at Ilic for hurting Sayan and doesn't realize Sayan let Ilic use the room. Later, after the confrontation has ended and Sayan and Ilic have gone to bed, when Ilic wakes up, Ilic comments that Sayan's hands smell of blood. Sayan mentions that Beize requested an audience, Ilic asks if he cut Beize's handsoff, and Sayan laughs it off saying it would have been rude to do that without a warning. Well, in the novel, it turns out Beize had offered himself to Sayan as a lover in Ilic's place. Sayan took him to his hobby room and tortured him, but wasn't entertained by Beize's crying. He wanted to see Ilic cry instead...so, yeah, really fucked up. But then, Sayan leaves Beize there and just forgets him until after the point where we're at in the manhwa, so Beize has presumably starved to death.
    • I actually like Beize, so I think I'll continue to pretend he's alive in my fics.
    • Sayan did see Ilic kill Miles. He saw them entering the spring house, which was his property and off limits. He got curious and went down.
    • The guy Ilic is traveling with is a noble or royal's son and is a spy.
    • Chesbourne is also a spy, which surprised me. Sayan actually had Chesbourne leak info that would make Ilic realize he was suspected all so Ilic wouldn't feel safe leaving Sayan. Chesbourne also ends up with Lyriel.
    • Leisa calls Ilic "Uncle Ilic"! But Sayan is a lackluster funcle in terms of affecting.
    • At the end, Sayan does destroy his hobby rooms because he's afraid one day he'll hurt Ilic in them.

Okay, so I haven't read the whole novel. I used Word's translator to translate it to English, but it's very rough. I'm sure there are errors, such as when Sayan or Ilic exclaims, "Iced Coffee!" when cumming , but...
    • Sayan is even more insane than the manhwa leads us to believe. I did see somewhere that he has a voice in his head who he calls Sayan. That is true, but he also has a "hobby room" (aka torture chamber).
    • In the manhwa, you may remember a guard named Beize who is ridiculously loyal to Sayan. He attacks Ilic in the training room because he's angry at Ilic for hurting Sayan and doesn't realize Sayan let Ilic use the room. Later, after the confrontation has ended and Sayan and Ilic have gone to bed, when Ilic wakes up, Ilic comments that Sayan's hands smell of blood. Sayan mentions that Beize requested an audience, Ilic asks if he cut Beize's handsoff, and Sayan laughs it off saying it would have been rude to do that without a warning. Well, in the novel, it turns out Beize had offered himself to Sayan as a lover in Ilic's place. Sayan took him to his hobby room and tortured him, but wasn't entertained by Beize's crying. He wanted to see Ilic cry instead...so, yeah, really fucked up. But then, Sayan leaves Beize there and just forgets him until after the point where we're at in the manhwa, so Beize has presumably starved to death.
    • I actually like Beize, so I think I'll continue to pretend he's alive in my fics.
    • Sayan did see Ilic kill Miles. He saw them entering the spring house, which was his property and off limits. He got curious and went down.
    • The guy Ilic is traveling with is a noble or royal's son and is a spy.
    • Chesbourne is also a spy, which surprised me. Sayan actually had Chesbourne leak info that would make Ilic realize he was suspected all so Ilic wouldn't feel safe leaving Sayan. Chesbourne also ends up with Lyriel.
    • Leisa calls Ilic "Uncle Ilic"! But Sayan is a lackluster funcle in terms of affecting.
    • At the end, Sayan does destroy his hobby rooms because he's afraid one day he'll hurt Ilic in

Plumpuppeach likes this.