Question Poll Do you like amnesia in plot?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Rubyspecs, Jun 5, 2022.

?

Do you like amnesia in plot?

1. Yes

2. Not at all

3. If it's ml getting amnesia

4. If it's Mc (before meeting ml)

5. If it's Mc (after meeting ml)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Rubyspecs

Rubyspecs Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Like in general I don't like amnesia being used as a plot device. It gets really annoying if MC suffers from amnesia after getting entangled with ml and they reunite after long time.
    I hate seeing ml suffer, emotionally choked up, left all helpless and here Mc is all carefree, like lol I know Mc also have their own difficulties but the condition of ml becomes wayy more pitiful in such case. Like he wants to get close to Mc like before, but can't help it as he is afraid of mc being burdened by his emotions. And again it's uncertain whether Mc would be able to remember their memories for rest of his life......which I know never happens but his thought does come across his mind and it's enough to push him further in darkness.

It may be a bit fine though if Mc forgets his past and afresh he or she meets ml and gradually gets entangled for the very first time.

poploc, AriaRose and Cutter Masterson like this.
  2. hansora

hansora Someone Who Seeks Fluff & Heartwarming Stories

Reading List:
    Link
    depends, but mostly I dislike how the author stretches out the amnesia plot with unnecessary problems

3. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    I don’t mind “amnesia” being a plot twist. As long as it’s not use for a plot armor deal or a dead end side story. With the way people throw out amnesia everywhere you would think you would see it a lot more in RL. But no it doesn’t happen often. When someone gets hit on the head with a hammer. They don’t automatically get amnesia. If someone got hit that hard. They would be dead.
    At least that’s what I believe

aShinyVaporeon and poploc like this.
  4. MidstNost

MidstNost 【 Reigen's Saltshaker 】【 Lingtian Raider 】

Reading List:
    Link
    fake amnesia trope sounds more interesting tbh

5. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on how it is used, but most of the time it feels like a cheap trick by the author, unless the amnesia itself is one of the main themes for the whole story.
    For example if the mc have amnesia from the very start of the story and the plot revolves around rediscovering who they are then I might like it, not so much if it is something added in the middle of a story for drama.

6. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not opposed to this plot device in theory, but I find that in practice it's used poorly. The issue is that the idea behind amnesia is to let character relationships start from a blank slate or to jiggle up the character dynamics. But a lot of the time the writer doesn't put enough thought into it so the end result is just to artificially drag out the drama. It's not a sincere examination of character so it just doesn't generate the proper impact most of the time.

But like most story mechanics, sometimes it is handled properly and the story can really spark because of it. I think that the difference is that telling this kind of story requires sincerity and effort of the part of the writer.

aShinyVaporeon and Nimroth like this.
  7. Senros

Senros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends on your luck. There have been people who were shot in the head and survived. Or got a pipe go all the way through their head and still survived. But yes, a hard hit on the head with a hammer usually leads to death. Heck, if you fall and land on a bad spot and twist your neck, you die. Some people are super sturdy (or just lucky), others are super fragile (or just unlucky).

8. Lemonlyn

Lemonlyn ♥[ Incubus ] Onee-san Seducer♥

Reading List:
    Link
    depending on if it's a romcom or just a comedy. honestly if it's busted as a plot tool that makes no sense then no. but if it's a humorous Story with a godlike mc who doesn't know he's godlike that that would be pretty funny if written well.

aShinyVaporeon and Steamc like this.
  9. Deleted member 456425

Deleted member 456425 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I like amnesia plots where suddenly the mc's life is a lie. And mc doesn't even know.

littleoctopus and hansora like this.
  10. Bashful Mimosa

Bashful Mimosa Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I must admit I am interested in the before meeting the main lead amnesia. Can I trouble you to give some recommendation concerning this?

11. eeeee

eeeee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    if the author has a reason or interesting plot idea, i’m all for it. But I find it annoying when authors use amnesia as a lazy excuse to forcibly extend a plot.

ex: 2 ppl are in love, they settle their conflicts and confess their love —> plot twist one person or two has amnesia. everything goes back to square 1 and same romance plot formula continues.

applebeans likes this.
  12. applebeans

applebeans Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't like it if it's just to add in some last minute angst = _ + , the same way i don't like ML doing 180º when they're already in love…… anything that is last minute and just to add drama + filler chapters, I don't like.

some new ones in yaoi/shonenai tags, MC's amnesia caused him to think he and ML are lovers and they really became lovers later

Edit: ah sorry! I didn't consider you might mean BG because I found this through BL tag!
    there's good chance you can find them with combination of Amnesia and Love interest falls in love first tags

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
  13. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't say I have any favourable views regarding the use of amnesia as a plot device. As to the exact nature of my views...

they seem to escape my mind at the moment. :blobpeek:

14. Esha07

Esha07 ☄your favorite meanie࿐ྂ

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't choose in the poll argh! It depends on the plot for me, I don't discriminate!

aShinyVaporeon and applebeans like this.
  15. poploc

poploc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Normally with anything else I would go with it depends HOWEVER it has become such a cheap trick by writers that just the thought of it angers me .

One of the MOST annoying examples I ever saw was in the Korean drama, Young Lady and Gentlemen where they gave him retrograde amnesia ( lose memories from before) then after his recovery gave him anterograde amnesia ( he couldn't remember the memories he made while he had amnesia) in the middle of the story. They used this as the main source of conflict.( and while i can admit this show has many flaws , THIS stood as the greatest).

Now , I am in no way saying that amnesia can't be used for a great plot as 50 first dates has shown how it can build a emotional connection to characters and books have taken advantage of it to create unreliable narration that places the story in a utter new light when revealed. My problem is the amount of authors that make use of it RANDOMLY .

Which affects the potential of the story , the characters etc. I would say it can be uncomfortable to watch as well because of what you pointed out about the internal conflict the other characters left with the memories must face.

It does baffle me that writers still loosely use it since a lot of people have expressed their displeasure to the point many have dropped works at appearance of it but i guess it's whatever.( Personally , as I wrote this i have realized i haven't stumbled across it as much as I use to but then i remembered it's because i haven't been consuming that many stories that align with that root nowadays)

16. hyperion79

hyperion79 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    hate it really, it reminds me to the telenovelas that were on tv as an overused trope

17. ragingphoenix

ragingphoenix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I recently read one of these that was good, The Imperial Guard's Revenge, but the entire premise of the story is ML taking advantage of FL's amnesia for personal gain and then having to deal with the consequences. And ML's thought process is unabashedly unethical, so it's actually pretty funny to read about.

If this trope shows up 75% of the way through the story, it is pretty likely the author isn't going to execute it well. This is up there with love potions/aphrodisiac tropes for me for 'signs the author can't figure out how to tie up their story'.

If I'm invested already I might give it a chance for a few more chapters, but once I see this trope, my expectations for things immediately drop to 0.

18. itsgraxiabibi

itsgraxiabibi smol beby

Reading List:
    Link
    Do I like amnesia plots? Noer

Do I like it when I read stories with great angsts? Yeth

19. Reanee

Reanee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't like amnesia plot at all. that's makes me bored and tend to drop the novel or manga I read :blob_blush:

20. ansusta

ansusta Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i would've liked it if it was well used and mostly it's not
    not saying there aren't any good novels \ comics \ animes that well used it though
    but usually it's just nah