Question Why are the covers for licensed titles so ugly?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by historicalbean, Jun 13, 2022.

?

Do you judge books by their cover?

1. Yes

23 vote(s)
    82.1%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  1. historicalbean

historicalbean Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This could completely be a occupational habit from my design background. I also realize how petty this question is. But I can’t be the only one that has noticed this. Wuxiaworld’s covers are probably at the top for me because they’re high quality and pleasing to the eye. Not to mention that the covers typically relate to the content of the novel.

2. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    I try not to, but I absolutely do.

3. Greater thunder

Greater thunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    While I have answered no, because that's how it is for majority of covers I run into, there are some exceptions.

Super shittily drawn ones (on the level of a five year old or me drawing it, stick figure or two as cover) and variations of meme faces (predominantly the troll face and a few others).

4. Harry

Harry Now you see me

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty cover is advertising, people will drawn to the art (especially if it unique) and then they will read the synopsis and judge if it worth. So, if you want to make cover, don't make it ugly

5. CardOne4All

CardOne4All Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Are we talking about Chinese titles?

6. AkaNoOu

AkaNoOu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Anything with half naked men or women on the cover i dont read.

7. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    $$$ & Time

8. Esha07

Esha07 ☄your favorite meanie࿐ྂ

Reading List:
    Link
    Visuals attract but sometimes if the synopsis is more interesting, I can do the least exception to give it a try.

9. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I like the cover of most LNs I've read tbh, so I can't relate.

I totally judge books by cover though. I don't read stuff if the cover turns me off.

10. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    Because they dont have money to have an actual good illustrator to draw a decent image?

Not all authors have connections with good artists.

11. Solus

Solus 自分のことお嫌いです

Reading List:
    Link
    I got so desperate for more raws (CN) that I stopped looking at the cover long time ago lol

12. Rumby

Rumby Rumbly Tumbly

Reading List:
    Link
    Qidian/Webnovel uses a lot of the same stock images for multiple novels. I think if they used the covers of novels that got translated into Korean it'd be nicer to look at

Like here's Great Doctor Ling Ran on webnovel (https://www.webnovel.com/book/great-doctor-ling-ran_11912235406605505 )
    [​IMG]

And the Korean translation of Great Doctor I saw on ridibooks (https://ridibooks.com/books/3144010094 )
    [​IMG]

Like I'm guessing the Korean translation company pay for the Korean covers, and i like them way more.. (But it does darn confuse me since I didn't realize it's the same novel until reading it lol)

Though TapRead seem to likes to use stolen art and mismash/bash for their English Translation Covers.
    When they popped up, I noticed a novel with a watermark on it. So it honestly didn't feel legit from getgo.
    Like I'm still pissed over this novel https://www.novelupdates.com/series/heyday-love-a-heaven-sent-husband/ (https://cdn.novelupdates.com/images/2019/05/盛世婚宠:老公送上门300.jpg )
    [​IMG]
    I know they love using that green military suit guy since I seen this guy pop up.... but the girl in the artwork definitely is not stock and belongs to https://twitter.com/yueko__/status/1030985791063740416 which is a sponsored piece for a watch brand Klasse. It just looks super ugly & unprofessional since I don't think TapRead is a hobbyist site... though I think they changed the novel cover to something else now.