LCD Surviving a Shounen Manga

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by Mors86, Jun 18, 2022.

1. Mors86

Mors86 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    NU Link: https://www.novelupdates.com/series/surviving-a-shounen-manga/

With 50 chapters out as of today, thought it might be a good idea to have an LCD thread - although the translation group has a strong preference that people engage in discussing the chapter over site comments. ;)

A transmigration-into-manga story, but different from the hundreds of TNE/ORV clones, if I have to sum it up. Have fun reading and discussing!

2. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    C1: Sounds like someone is going to regret not finishing the series before berating the author ;)

C3: Honestly, I figured he'd take the direct approach and beg to be the hero's subordinate after doing a flying dogeza.

C7: A mountain of cash should make it much easier for him to standout next time, even if he doesn't use it on a special ability. And honestly, he should probably avoid using it on a special ability since it might interfere with him getting a unique ability.

C10: "Then all the sacks that had been stuffed in were taken out again." This just screams "I'm about to rob you and you're not even going to notice, idiot."

C12: “… To Goldam City.” If that guy was as strong as he was made out to be, he would have heard that.

C15: I wonder how much of his own money the MC just gifted Leo, and why Cocoa is okay with all this. It feels like she just traded one master in for another rather than gaining her freedom.

C17: I wonder why he's so eager to spend his points. I mean, sure, he needs to spend some to make more, but there's a limit to that and he should be at least a little anxious about it given the time constraints and the rather high point total he needs to reach.

C20: “You’re really my type. Oppa, want to get some coffee?” Look what he's making a nine year old do smh.

C23: "Oddly enough, his hand felt like rubber." Now now. We're already close enough to copyright infringement without turning him into Luffy for real ;)

C25: Why would that guy willingly put on that ring? He should know what it is, and the MC has already stated he's not strong enough to force him.

C26: "The author’s favourability has decreased by 40][Received fan art from a reader][The author’s favourability has increased by 1]" lol.

C27: I wonder if he can overcome the physicality problem by using his 1 hour transformation.

C28: "and even people running around laughing raucously." So she can even store people? Or are these the Black Shadow?

"Right there, a man with a jutting chin wearing a cowboy hat was barely visible, riding a merry-go-round." lol.

"Rather, they were aimed at nothing other than the huge sun at the horizon scattering the red light of dusk." rofl XD

C29: "I even hired ‘troops’ from the character shop and mobilized them as the audience." Why waste the points? He had already enslaved most of the Black Shadow.

C31: "Because I’d never even considered the notion that this guy might not listen to me." The ability description made it clear this was a possibility though? I'm surprised he didn't practice with this one. It's the least reliable of the bunch.

C32: "It was ‘Future Yan’, who was stronger than he was now." That's a bit too broken tbh.

C33: "Yeah, it felt for a while now like this was where it was headed. He's already got like half the people he needs to recruit after all.

C34: "He’s behind you." lol. He's still underestimating the cheat character that was prepared for the original protagonist ;)

C37: "That was then –" I wonder why the translator is still making this mistake. Somebody has to have informed them by now that it should be "when."

"Hiro is the subject of character evaluation in this chapter" I wonder if this will ever change to like Cocoa or something. There doesn't feel like there's much point in constantly writing it if not, but this author loves to pad the word count.

So, if the original protagonists didn't even make a move during the character test, then how did they pass it?

C39: If he's a test participant, then how could he also be part of the testing staff?

That aside, if having the influence of one god is bad, then why would having the influence of five not be worse? Sure, you might be able to play them off each other to some extent, but it shouldn't be to the point that you could regain your freedom. They're trickster gods one and all. Such a simple plan wouldn't work.

C40: If only goblins can open the door, then how did a guy who's not a goblin open it?

"The essence of Plan B was simply ‘luck’." So why not take a luck potion?

C41: "What is this… Pay per chapter?" Wasn't that obvious? Or is this a translation thing and it was more ambiguous originally?

I'm a bit surprised that Cocoa placed so low. I thought she probably had the best shot at surpassing the original protagonists so long as the author didn't decide his protagonist was clearly better than the fictional author's protagonist (which he sadly did decide).

That aside, Haka is in serious danger. I'm not sure if that's last place, but it feels like it's probably close.

C42: "Who knew he could be so sensitive?" Considering that you're only in this novel because the author is extremely petty, it should have been fairly obvious. Of course, Hiro has actually mentioned this previously as a concern so I don't know why he's pretending otherwise now.

Well, if nothing else, returning should be super easy. Though, he should definitely buy the return ticket now. The price will probably increase by 10-100x by the time his mission is done.

C44: Wouldn't the goblin's ability be able to override that tattoo? Or is the power difference of the casters an issue?

C45: If he's so certain that he's stronger than Firimino, then why didn't he just mimic his ability to release Cocoa?

C46: Okay, if he already knew he could mimic the ability, then why didn't he change her tattoo himself? Or was he not able to since he didn't create the base tattoo?

C47: "Find the second princess of the Mainin Kingdom" I get the strong feeling he's about to pick up his fifth party member.

C48: "fix that temper a bit" I'm really not liking the way he keeps talking about her like a wild animal needing to be tamed or a petulant child needing to be disciplined. She's a grown woman trying to assert her right to not marry someone she's not interested in. It's quite difficult not to assume that this is just blatant sexism :/

C49: "Because that won’t do anything to fix that temper of hers.” Seriously, if this continues I'm going to have to drop this series :/

Wouldn't it make more sense to wait until the ship was closer to it's destination? Now he's going to have to guard her and hide her while having to worry about all the other people that want a piece of her until the ship arrives. Well, unless he's got a better boat than that viking ship to sneak off in anyway.

C54: Since the foreshadowing of her joining the party is pretty blatant at this point, I wonder if, after she completes the Path, she'll dedicate her service to the emperor hiding in her body. She can't dedicate it to the MC since he's not part of the empire, and if she dedicates it to anyone else, she won't be able to join the MC's party without that person's permission.

"if it’s not first place, isn’t it all the same anyway?” lol.

C55: I had been wondering about the zookeeper background. It just felt so out of place in the original list.

That aside, why does he always resist Cocoa's advice? She's never steered him wrong before (since they became a team anyway) and he knows how gifted she is as a guide.

C56: “Huhu… Then shall I try once?” Why? Isn't this clearly something that would benefit the princess more?

"her pouch took the price of the bazooka in return." I had been wondering about that. It was pretty imbalanced without some sort of cost. Though, I think her power over-charged her ;)

C57: Honestly, Chinuavi's 1.5b is much more impressive than Hiro's 2b ;)

C58: If this is a competition, he's going to have to throw the match as soon as he's paired off with the princess...

C60: "Even if it was just a practice match, I could never lose" It depends on the series and who you're fighting. In a situation like this, you absolutely could lose. Well, that is if the real author wasn't swaddling you in super thick plot armor while pretending it was the fictional author's fault.

C64: Honestly, it feels like there's way too much going on in this PoV for it to be just one chapter. We've got prelims for a tournament, the first round, a duel with a ghost, and now a several fights in a row culminating in a shonen power up. If this were DBZ, that'd be a whole season's worth of content ;)

C66: "After passing the final obstacle with the highest score along with the princess" He's actually planning to win? How is he planning to deal with the empire's expectation that he'll swear fealty to one of their nobles?

C67: It would be nice if these chapters didn't all have so much filler. Every single one of them is inundated with repetitive, unnecessary internal ramblings, most of which could be easily removed without losing anything of value.

C68: “Ah, it’s okay. He said he was tough.” lol.

C73: “You, what… this ability wasn’t in the rumours.” Why wouldn't it have been? The assassins witnessed it with their own eyes and they were the ones who started the rumors.

C75: "And I had to pull off a win, somehow." Um, no? He should be congratulating the princess on her victory, forfeiting, and then offering to duel her. Winning means he has to swear fealty to the Skull Empire and be trapped there, or make the entire empire his enemy. If he forfeits first and then still fights her, he gets to have his cake and eat it too.

C76: Hm, if her power is generic and requires a horse, then she's probably not joining the party. I wonder when he'll pick up the other three members then. There's only so many chapters left.

“I’ve done all I could, so now it’s time for me to go.” And if she tells you to stay? What's you're brilliant plan then?

C77: "try to create a story ‘about you’." Isn't that a bad thing though? Replacing Leo as the protagonist seems like something he'd want to avoid.

“Alright, well, how about I come find you? When next you’re in danger.” It almost feels like he's trying to push the romance plot line...

“Would you like to have a match?” lol. Yeah, she's got their number ;)

That aside, didn't he still have an ongoing quest to stay in the city from the Adventurer's Guild that he couldn't refuse without becoming an enemy of the guild?

C85: He really needs to put some work into not becoming the protagonist...

C86: “Ah, right; send the bill to the imperial administration.” lol. Abuse of power. Misappropriation of funds ;)

C89: "I’ve never seen a decent human among the Southland zookeepers." lol. What kind of zoo is it that it's keepers have such a reputation? ;)

C92: "Current rating: Supporting cast" Wouldn't this be the main reason? That's a pretty hefty decrease in power.

Doesn't his mimic ability have a 1 hour cooldown? How is he planing to change the mimiced ability against every opponent when the opponents are changing so rapidly?

C96: I've kinda lost interest at this point. Hiro is basically the protagonist now and Leo is little more than gag side character. Hiro is even started to steal Leo's party members without any real fear of the repercussions. Honestly, it just feels like the premise isn't being taken seriously, and I'm more than a little tired of how much of every single chapter is wasted on explaining things far more than even the stupidest person could be reasonably expected to need them to be explained just to pad out the chapters.

3. Mors86

Mors86 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The filler is indeed real when it comes to monologues! But honestly, if you're not binging it, it might help hammer in the story and character directions. The story really needs an editor of it ever wants to see publication, yeah. Not that it ever will.

That was then sounds better since it's always used to split a sentence in two parts, with one or more sentences describing the action in the middle. But that's just my personal opinion.