Project 1 "The Wall We Lean"

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by PeanutButter and 23 others, Jun 25, 2022.

1. PeanutButter and 23 others

PeanutButter and 23 others Purple Platypus Bear w/ Pink Horn & Silver Wing

Reading List:
    Link
    Not story yet just worldbuilding.
    Summary
    Year 1 Common Era. The age of free flowing mana come to an end when magical disaster wreck havoc in the world. Sorcerers who rely on their magical talents to wield incredible power to protect kingdoms and communities against magical creatures suddenly lose control of their power with mixed pattern sometimes their power resulting in weak magic and other times their magic gone wild exceptionally produce powerful effect, several cities and town at that time report many sorcerers accidently destroyed anything on massive scale resulting in mass panic and hysteria. On the continent of Airawata the situation continue until most countries of men and sapient creatures band together solve the problem because the chaos that happened hurt their lands but they also does not want lose their magical power and military. Their solution was to find the pattern of this event and perform large scale ritual at weak time of magical disaster to bind the magic into their languages, alas by the time this solution found out most sorcerers in gone perish because their magic. By the time ritual prepared among human only two countries Kingdom of Indrapura and principality Atalia that can provided many sorcerers sufficient enough for ritual to complete so they propose among mankind only their two languages can be included in ritual while the sapient ceratures have one for each. The sapient creatures community have no problem with that so long ritual successful but other human nations can only grith teeth and accept because their sorcerers number are few.

I'll continue later. I'm typing with phone QAQ.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
  2. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    Interesting

3. Stripedhatbecomesgay

Stripedhatbecomesgay Guess who’s a super good spammer? It’s me!

Reading List:
    Link
    Seems cool but what are sapiences?

4. PeanutButter and 23 others

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry typo, magical sapiens creatures other than human who have civilization community unlike magical beasts that behave like animal. Typical fantasy like ogre, dragon, elf, etc for starter something like that.

Stripedhatbecomesgay likes this.
  5. Stripedhatbecomesgay

Reading List:
    Link
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I see

6. PeanutButter and 23 others

Reading List:
    Link
    Types of Magical Tradition
    - Sorcerer
    People who have inborn ability and talent to freely wield magic in the era of free flowing mana. Their magic power are spesific to themself and varied from person to person. Sorcerers slowly went extinct since magical disaster and introduction Magical Languages. But there are still few people who are born with inborn ability but not raw mana manipulation as grand and mighty as their sorcerer predecessor. Four magic tradition developed in three known lands arise to open up new era of magic.

- Wizard
    - Songstress and Bard
    - Crest Bearer and Shaman
    - Alchemist

Last edited: Aug 27, 2023
  7. PeanutButter and 23 others

Reading List:
    Link
    Crest Bearer are people who are branded with spiritual tattoo into themselves to wield magic. Their source of power come from ghost of magical beasts that still linger in the material world for time being after the main soul go to the beyond. Unlike wizard and songstress who learn and train their spell via arcane languages, crest bearer train the abilities from the instinct left behind of the said beasts. A healthy and trained kith (human, orc and elf) can be branded with two or three crest before their body can't handle anymore, they can gain abilities like Lightning Touch from Black Sea Eel and can be further develop into wide varieties of technique from coating their blade with electric curret to literally conjuring lightning from their fingertips. Different from wizard who versitile and can learn magic from many field of disciplines, a crest bearer magic are specialized and can only train in force magic by default and disciplines that corresponded to their crest.
    From historical source the root of crest bearer comes from humble beginning of orc named Blue Petal who was a lower rank shaman in the Fiery Temple of Angga 15 years before magical disaster happen. He joined the temple after his uncle brought gift to one of the senior shaman, essensially bribing his way to the ranks of local temple. Unfortunetely for Blue Petal even though he indeed can manipulate mana, he doesn't have inborn sorcery abilities related to fire elementals which is signature of this temple and so he stuck discovering his sorcery power without a master to follow. As a teenager Blue Petal are slighty different than his peers, in that he always gazing at the game's corpse after return of hunt, a hint to his ability. In modern day we call it as soul preception but in the old days people know it as Ghost Eye, a rare inborn ability that give the wielder to interact and manipulate soul's fragment, a ghost, to certain extent.

* Foot notes:
    Crest Bearer rise on Xandalia (a name sake for orc dynasty that united the continent later) that is different from continent than Arawata where wizard and songstress tradition situated. People in Xandalia get lost contact with Arawata since magical disaster happened and 70 years after, they didn't get benefit from arcane language ritual from the other continent so they develop magical tradition of their own from lot trial and error which resulted as Creast Bearer magic.
    A crest bearer also use classical weapon like sword, pole arm and bow, etc. It's because they resort to use it against monster, even after they gain new magic people still use it to enhance their abilities and to keep tradition. (In my head, a crest bearer is closer to typical rune knight, that is class who employed magic to enhance their martial prowess)
    *spoiler* Technically a crest bearer can study wizard arcane spell casting but it will happen later when the both civillizations meet again. The result are powerful wizards in specialized field, and two more magical tradition; a so called Brotherhood of Twilight that branded themself with demon from another plane to power their titanic spells, Order of Howling Ghost who develop ability to trap soul in material plane and manipulate it, creating new magical discipline of Necromancy.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
  8. PeanutButter and 23 others

Reading List:
    Link
    @Cutter Masterson @Stripedhatbecomesgay @Bad Storm hello, a new worldbuilding post:cookie:
    Hmm I to write about songstress for future post, because the main character will be Sovereign Princess of Atalia who is also a powerfull songstress. A songstress are magic user who manipulate magic through poetry and song (oh my, should I write or copy poet and song?). The language of Atalian is one of the two arcane languages, a songstress use that to imbued magic into their song, you can say they are wizard who love singing and speak elequantly.

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  9. Stripedhatbecomesgay

Reading List:
    Link
    Interesting

10. PeanutButter and 23 others

Reading List:
    Link
    Magical Talent and Elemental Aptitude
    Some people are really good cooking delicious food, some people are passionate to draw and paint something, some can run faster than average. Random clerk is good at listening but because she never attended art class she never discover her talent for music, she just know she like music and can pick notes melody just by hearing.
    Some people are really good at something compared to their peers, that is the same with magic.

(Notes: Yeah I know talent is more than that, people might be born with, or raised in environment that nudge them)

11. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    Will there be a war between the two human nations?
    Is it possible to use differences languages together for magic?
    Does the length of the sentence affect the over all power of the spell?
    Are the spells like Buffs or Debuffs? By your last post I thought that maybe the case. Or can you use attack and defense magic?
    Will there be a rush of marriage/ kidnapping to produce more magicians?
    Will the fluctuations in magic alway will be there or does it die down?

Sounds like a good start to a story. I can’t wait to read it.
    I wish you luck

12. EZLight777

EZLight777 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Good synopsis, I'm looking forward to reading.

13. PeanutButter and 23 others

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup there will be, among human only two nations that got their magic back with more perks (excluding other magical tradition on different continents). They have magical power and military might than their neighbors who don't have, so it's logical for them to expand their territory. The rest of human nations will side with either one of them.

No, but they can translate the spell into their own language or get the the gist or intended effect of the said spell and reconstruct it .

Yes, for wizard the more sentences they put on spell or ritual the more they add direction and intended effect for the said spell.

All magical traditions (whether they are wizard, songstress, crest bearer and alchemist) have their own variants of attack and defensive magic.
    One of the reason I didn't yet release post about Songstress is because it's still blurry. The idea for songstress is they can empower classical warriors (swordsman, spearman, bow master, cavalry archer, etc) with super strength, speed, and endurance via magical song. This empower soldiers and their songstresses can bulldoze any armies that doesn't have magic, given preparation they can go to toe with wizards.
    - their magical song start producing effect from the first words of the lyric unlike wizard who needed to complete the chant to produce effect
    - songstress from royal family can grant force/kinetic magic to their closest attendants (inspired by FF15)
    - they can put geas (magical vow) on somebody
    I want every magical tradition to be somewhat different and unique of their own.

Given resource, time and a right teacher anybody can be magician. But some clans and houses indeed consistently have kids with inborn magical ability/talent that inspire some greed, so people may forge alliance or straight kidnap them.

Fluctuation of magic is still there but most mages has learn the the pattern when it reach peak, like tidal wave. Some of them even learn how to exploit it.
    Thank you but please don't put your hope too high, I only write this when I'm not busy:blobcry:. We're not even in the chapter 1 yet:notlikeblob:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2023
    Cutter Masterson likes this.
  14. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    I understand. No rush, but I do want to encourage you on this interesting story. When writing a book it can take years to finish. So no worries